• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Fun run ideas to do in the game?

User Info: tiomasta

tiomasta
1 month ago#1
Sometimes doing a run with a gimmick can be what it needs to feel new again. Terraria has great exploration but isn't super replay-friendly on the other hand, if you've already beat the latest patch and know how to reach the final boss and get every item from where then you would practically need a special reason to play the game again otherwise it would be more of the same but in a separate save file (if you wanted anything, you know how and when to get it, it's not like you'll come across a super-boosted gun or accessory in this world that will make you feel like switching strategy or happy that you got it), unless you wanted to do a different/special run this time.

Sometimes replaying is even annoying for building stuff again because you have to do it all from scratch and there's no incentive to not just leave placeholder block houses (IMO it would be more fun if you could find special old delapidated houses different in various biome surfaces in randomized already vaguely proper shape housing 2-3 people and then you just clean them up and finish them yourself, even a place near underworld middle to make it intuitive to place the underground pylon there).

-Class runs, where you decide on a class for your character and you're only allowed to use weapons that do that type of damage. It's fun because even if you knew the world upside down, there's only certain things you can use to go forward and you HAVE to go for it.
Too bad there isn't an actual setting for that in character creation or actual advantages to specializing in it. It's a challenge run.
I breathe in ketchup and breathe out anxiety

User Info: amgoosehjonk

amgoosehjonk
1 month ago#2
I’d recommend looking at Wand of Sparking on YouTube; one of the “channel specialties” is various kinds of unique runs. I think you’ll find some cool stuff there if you’re looking for something interesting.

If you’re a PC player, never forget to check out tmodloader too. Some cool stuff there if you’re sick of vanilla Terraria.
honk

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#3
For housing, I just bring in a high level character from a completed world with all the materials needed for a new town and use the building tools/gear/potions to get a new town going ASAP. My latest run, I built my entire town in the Crimson (but kept some housing elsewhere to eventually get the Dryad) and converted my base as I went.

I can't honestly start and stick to a class run because ranged, magic, and summoning are so under-powered pre-hardmode, it's just boring trying to survive. However, on my last few runs, in my completed world I assigned my chests a number and the slots inside a letter and used an online RNG to determine what single item I would bring to my new world. Sometimes it's game-breakingly OP, other times I'll get a brand new stack of 999 clouds. Either way, it breaks the monotony of starting the same way every single time.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Whisky

Whisky
3 weeks ago#4
tiomasta posted...
IMO it would be more fun if you could find special old delapidated houses different in various biome surfaces in randomized already vaguely proper shape housing 2-3 people and then you just clean them up and finish them yourself, even a place near underworld middle to make it intuitive to place the underground pylon there).

There are. You can often find chests inside old houses throughout the underground and these can be easily fixed up to be livable. None of them are on the surface but you can find them underneath the giant trees or on sky islands. There also are building in the middle of the underworld that are way to make into valid NPC housing.

STG Deathbot posted...
I can't honestly start and stick to a class run because ranged, magic, and summoning are so under-powered pre-hardmode, it's just boring trying to survive.

This is inaccurate. Ranged is very powerful pre-hard mode and there are some very good magic weapons as well. Melee is probably the type that is lacking the most pre-hard mode. I would be scared to fight the Wall of Flesh with melee weapons.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

STG Deathbot
3 weeks ago#5
Whisky posted...
Melee is probably the type that is lacking the most pre-hard mode. I would be scared to fight the Wall of Flesh with melee weapons.
I can't tell if you're serious and incredibly inexperienced or just trolling.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

Whisky
3 weeks ago#6
STG Deathbot posted...
I can't tell if you're serious and incredibly inexperienced or just trolling.

Okay. I was going to say that I would be willing to give you some advice if you’re willing to be open minded, but no I guess you’re not. You have no idea what you’re talking about if you think Ranged weapons are under powered in pre-hard mode. Maybe you just haven’t actually used them much?

User Info: timmorrow

timmorrow
2 weeks ago#7
Whisky posted...

This is inaccurate. Ranged is very powerful pre-hard mode and there are some very good magic weapons as well. Melee is probably the type that is lacking the most pre-hard mode. I would be scared to fight the Wall of Flesh with melee weapons.

noob

STG Deathbot
2 weeks ago#8
Whisky posted...
Okay. I was going to say that I would be willing to give you some advice if you’re willing to be open minded, but no I guess you’re not. You have no idea what you’re talking about if you think Ranged weapons are under powered in pre-hard mode. Maybe you just haven’t actually used them much?
After 1,400+ hours logged and considering I've been playing since the game was first released, I think I'm good on the advice.

Whisky
2 weeks ago#9
STG Deathbot posted...
After 1,400+ hours logged and considering I've been playing since the game was first released, I think I'm good on the advice.

I mean, apparently not if you think “ranged weapons are under powered in pre-hard mode”. I’d be more than happy to have a discussion about it if you seemed remotely interested in one instead of just making an absurd claim and calling the person that corrects your misinformation inexperienced. You could prove me wrong, I’m open to that possibility, but I would be very surprised if that happened as I am extremely confidant in the rather easy to defend stance that ranged weapons are not under powered in pre-hard mode.

timmorrow posted...
noob

Seriously, is this some sort of inside joke I’m not aware of?

Phoenix Blaster, Bee’s Knees, Star Cannon: under powered? You sure want to stand by that claim?

User Info: tony8669

tony8669
1 week ago#10
Speedrun?

BTW, I don't speedrun Terraria, but does anyone posting do it?

I'd be interested in learning the strategies.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Fun run ideas to do in the game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A