• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. I just picked this up and I have a few questions

User Info: Mike Xtreme

Mike Xtreme
4 months ago#1
Apologies if these questions have been asked a million times. I looked at a few guides and searched topics here but didn't find what I was looking for.

1. Is it possible to delete a world and start over? When I started my 1st game I obviously didn't know what I was doing and was just messing around. When I choose to delete my saved world and start fresh the game just loads the same world again (restoring what I've built/dug). I created a "journey" world in single player if it makes any difference.
  2. Can NPCs get stuck? Since I was messing around I dug a kind of deep hole and the beginning NPC guy went down it and won't come out.
  3. I read in a beginner guild that there's a way to see which NPCs might move in to my home but I can't find it in the game. How do I do that?
  4. It seems like a game on "journey" difficultly really gives you a lot of stuff to make the game easier. Should I start over on "classic"?
Any other tips for a beginner are greatly appreciated.

I don't like stuff that sucks

User Info: Kurima_Saguki

Kurima_Saguki
4 months ago#2
2.Npcs go to their homes automatically at night or in the rain if you are far enough away from the house.

3.YOU must make the npcs houses.

4.I only play in master mode but my first time was in classic in version 1.3 that didn't have the journey mode.

This site can help with almost any question:
https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki
To simplify you can just search for "terraria house" on google as an example.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 months ago#3
  1. Of course it is.
  2. They teleport home at night or during certain other conditions
  3. "Might" move in? NPCs will move into any valid home as long as their conditions are met and its daytime. For example, the nurse will only move in once you have reached a certain amount of hearts.
  4. Journey is essentially creative mode with extra steps. If it's your first time, I suggest softcore normal.
GameFAQs mods punish you for complaining in replies and tell you to use the report system instead.
But then when you do, they totally ignore valid reports.

User Info: tiomasta

tiomasta
4 months ago#4
1) Note that normal characters only play on normal worlds, and journey characters only play on journey worlds

3) You can't, but simply always have at least 1 additional room/house ready, if someone else can move in then they will. But if you go to inventory then click on the house icon on the far right, you can see which ones you already have so you can manually choose their exact rooms

4) You could prefer starting outside of journey mode or not. Journey lets you duplicate items/materials, and lets you switch time/weather and monster spawn/difficulty and even godmode, so you might want a normal easy playthrough first.
-Normal difficulty is normal, expert is hard with also some game changes, master is just expert+1.
-Softcore is the standard. Mediumcore is a challenge mode where you drop everything where you die. Hardcore is 1 life then permadead. Softcore is the only normal one.
I breathe in ketchup and breathe out anxiety
(message deleted)

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
4 months ago#6
  1. Yes just delete the world and create a new one. As it's been mentioned, Journey characters can only join a journey world. Start a normal world with a normal character and you should be fine. Journey is more for people who want to build extravagant things rather than play the game normally.
  2. They will stay where they are unless they have a suitable home. For instance, if you meet the requirements to find the Wizard NPC but don't have a spare house/room for him, he will stay put until he dies (and you've got to find him again) or you build him a place to stay.
  3. When you open the inventory, above your armor/vanity slots will be a house icon. Click that and then click the question mark icon. Then click on any house/room and it will tell you if it's missing something or if it's suitable. All of your currently-available NPCs are listed there as well. Just click on their portrait and then click on the suitable room to move them to that room. As Gargomon pointed out, they take some time to teleport to that room, so if you leave the area and go spelunking and come back later, they will be in their assigned rooms at night (during the day they roam around).
  4. Classic mode is normal and highly suggested you play on classic instead for the reason I mentioned already.

As for any tips, I would suggest a medium world with a softcore character and speak to the guide frequently as he will give you hints as to where to go next.
Placing a single block behind a door will prevent enemies from breaking in your home at night. Furniture can also block a door but remember, if the door can't open for the enemy, it can't open for you either. Placing a block at night is a quick alternative if you need to hide.
Get a decent layout of the land when you first start by running to the right or left to see what's on the surface. There's almost always a giant cave on the surface in each biome that leads lower, so you won't have to waste your time digging until you find a cavern. There's also plenty of chests available on the surface for you to raid.
When you loot a chest, dig it up with the pick and use it to store items at your base. When you open a chest you've placed, you can rename it to whatever you want so it's easier to organize your stuff.
Anytime you get something new, look to see if it says "Material" anywhere in the description. If it does, take it to the Guide and check what you can make with it under the Crafting option (just place it in the empty box and it'll bring up a list of everything you can make).

There's a ton more but it's probably easier to just ask about anything you don't understand.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Mike Xtreme

Mike Xtreme
4 months ago#7
Thanks for the info folks!

Now that I've spent some time playing I feel like some of my questions were a little dumb but the game sure doesn't hold your hand when you start off.

So far I've beaten EoC and EoW, explored down to Underworld, and have accumulated around 10 NPCs.
I don't like stuff that sucks

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
4 months ago#8
Mike Xtreme posted...

Now that I've spent some time playing I feel like some of my questions were a little dumb but the game sure doesn't hold your hand when you start off.

So far I've beaten EoC and EoW, explored down to Underworld, and have accumulated around 10 NPCs.
Your questions might help someone else who just started. Plus, there's not much else for those of us who've been playing for years to do here.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 months ago#9
Mike Xtreme posted...

Even with all the QoL updates, there's a lot of stuff you kinda have to find out through the wiki (like boss progression, afaik)
GameFAQs mods punish you for complaining in replies and tell you to use the report system instead.
But then when you do, they totally ignore valid reports.

User Info: tony8669

tony8669
1 month ago#10
I've played the game for years, and I still have the wiki open to look things up while playing.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. I just picked this up and I have a few questions
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A