• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Mob farming and filling in empty space

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
5 months ago#1
All the guides tell you to fill in a huge area of empty space beneath the tile you are standing on in a mob farm to prevent enemies spawning somewhere else.

My question is, can't I just do a line of blocks on which the mobs will spawn, and then a huge empty void above and below it? If there is a huge area of no blocks then they have nowhere else to spawn, so they HAVE to spawn on my line of blocks. Right?

Destroying a lot of blocks is much easier and less tedious than filling in that space. Even when using building potions and the building accessory filling in a large area of blocks takes the absolute piss.

Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
5 months ago#2
I think it's best if you dig out to just below the bottom of the screen from where you will stand and then flatten that area and make a lava pool there. The lava will prevent mob spawning. If you only do a void you will need to dig out quite a bit deeper.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: VincentGrite

VincentGrite
5 months ago#3
Yes. An empty area is as good as a filled area. Either way works. You could build it in the sky (under Space) and you won't have to worry about clearing or filling a large area. Or explode the area above/below to clear it instead of digging.

EDIT: If you're going to fill, doing it with sand may speed things up a bit.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: tony8669

tony8669
5 months ago#4
You can fill with sand or silt, that's fast. Or you can use a background if you want to leave it open. Either way it will stop mob spawns.

I believe spawn is at most about 50-60 blocks away from the player in every direction. You can go farther (maybe to 75 blocks) just to be safe. Mobs won't spawn where there are player place backgrounds.

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
5 months ago#5
An empty area with no blocks is fine.
Blocks below covered in lava are fine.
Blocked off area below with walls are fine.

Even though it takes, depending on the farm, it may be worth it to do 2 or 3, so that you have an arena for mobs that certain mobs, such as biome mimics, which pop up pretty often, and can be annoying to deal with when other enemies are around.

But if you're going with 1, do make sure that you're properly measuring the distance needed. Making the gap bigger than needed is perfectly fine, making it smaller will come back to bite you. 84 west/east. 46 up/down. I always do 90 and 50, respectively.
"That is so fetch!"

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
5 months ago#6
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dirt Bombs.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
Apparently, GF mods are allowed to ignore valid reports.

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
5 months ago#7
I almost brought up the dirt bombs, but the one time I tried them they seemed to leave a lot of gaps and it just became frustrating.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
5 months ago#8
Mr Hangman posted...
I almost brought up the dirt bombs, but the one time I tried them they seemed to leave a lot of gaps and it just became frustrating.
They're not supposed to leave ANY gaps unless they're too far from the wall.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
Apparently, GF mods are allowed to ignore valid reports.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. Mob farming and filling in empty space
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A