• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. What's your favorite way to play Terraria?

User Info: julianx2rl

julianx2rl
9 months ago#1
Options - Results (195 votes)
PC
83.59% (163 votes)
Console
9.23% (18 votes)
Portable
0.51% (1 vote)
Mobile
3.59% (7 votes)
3DS
3.08% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Now, its OK if you consider the amount of features, enemies NPCs etc. that each version has, but for this poll I wanna focus more in the way you play the game.

The 3DS has its own category instead of being stacked with the "Portable" category due to how unique the touchscreen usage its here compared to the PS Vita or the Switch.

User Info: julianx2rl

julianx2rl
9 months ago#2
To start, my vote goes for the 3DS because:

You can use a stylus to build stages, which offers more precision than a controller, a finger or a mouse.

The inventory icons are big and easily accessible to your fingertips, which makes it easier to swap between items or take potions quickly, rather than carefully tapping or clicking a small icon on a big screen.

It has a recipe guide.

The zoomed in camera isn't a huge issue, because you can't interact with things outside the screen anyway, and you can display the map on the entire lower screen showing the location of the player, the enemies and platforms on the stage.

There's a button to stack items on chests in the lower screen, so you don't have to open a separate inventory screen to do so.

You don't have to manually toggle the smart cursor, the game automatically deactivates it when using the D-pad and reactivates it when turning around.

Because the inventory is managed with the touchscreen, that leaves the buttons free to *only* manage the basic stuff, movement, use item, enemy-lock, interact, its a pretty basic and accessible control scheme.

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
9 months ago#3
The pc version is better in basically every way. Especially updates and mods.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
Apparently, GF mods are allowed to ignore valid reports.

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
9 months ago#4
Everything about the PC version makes it by far the best. The game is meant to be controlled with keyboard and mouse. Mods have come a long way and add a ton to the experience. PC tends to get updates way before other versions (in some cases, actual years before they do). There's a lot of video options to customize. It's also the most accessible because practically everyone has a PC at this point and it will run on practically anything.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png

User Info: Vindris_SNH

Vindris_SNH
8 months ago#5
julianx2rl posted...
a stylus offers more precision than a mouse.

How much ass must you suck at using a mouse to think this is true? Are you 60 years old or something? DAFUQ
glitteringfairy: Just build the damn wall
ThyCorndog: and how exactly will that stop the mexican space program from orbital dropping illegal immigrants?

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
8 months ago#6
Vindris_SNH posted...
How much ass must you suck at using a mouse to think this is true? Are you 60 years old or something? DAFUQ

Yeah, not sure I can agree with them either. I can agree that a touchscreen is probably better than a controller, but there's absolutely no way it can top the speed and precision of a mouse.

julianx2rl posted...
The zoomed in camera isn't a huge issue, because you can't interact with things outside the screen anyway, and you can display the map on the entire lower screen showing the location of the player, the enemies and platforms on the stage.

I also have to point out that you can both increase or decrease the scale on PC and it is a BIG benefit. When your screen is super zoomed in, it's way tougher to fight certain bosses that keep their distance (the Ice Queen comes to mind).

julianx2rl posted...
The inventory icons are big and easily accessible to your fingertips, which makes it easier to swap between items or take potions quickly, rather than carefully tapping or clicking a small icon on a big screen.

Taking potions on PC is as easy as pressing the 'H', 'G' keys, and 'B' keys (or whatever you assign them to, for me it's the 3rd and 4th mouse buttons).

Other things - Smart Cursor is really easy to toggle on and off, it's just a tap of the CTRL key. I've never been bothered by it. Same goes for auto-stacking in chests, it's a simple tap of an icon.

Sorry to point out so many things, but it's just impossible to convince me that the 3DS version could be in any way easier to control than the control scheme the game was originally intended to play on in keyboard and mouse. After 30 minutes or so you'll be really comfortable with controlling everything that way.

It is pretty cool that they made some more convenient ways to control the game with different devices like the 3DS though. If it works for you that's great and I'm glad it does.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png
(message deleted)

User Info: Person106

Person106
8 months ago#8
roboemperor posted...
PC solely because of hotkeys. Especially if you're playing hardcore expert mode.
Soon to be hardcore master mode ;)

User Info: ObsceneAnarchy

ObsceneAnarchy
8 months ago#9
PC of course but on console you actually HAVE to build arenas for bosses, which in itself can be a different but fun experience.
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
8 months ago#10
ObsceneAnarchy posted...
PC of course but on console you actually HAVE to build arenas for bosses, which in itself can be a different but fun experience.
Sounds tedious. I try to avoid arenas whenever possible (aside from maybe removing obtacles)
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi
Apparently, GF mods are allowed to ignore valid reports.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. What's your favorite way to play Terraria?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A