• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. 1.4/Journey'sEnd update comes to PC on May 16, on Terraria's 9th anniversary

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
7 months ago#71
I don't know if Old One's Army is even possible with yoyo only in master mode. I tried several times but the flying creatures just demolished my crystal every single time. Didn't matter what I did. I was trying to draw aggro on them the whole time but it only went so far. On the last wave I have no chance to kill the wizard because I'm spending all my time killing wyverns. I tried to do the sentries as well but they only help for the ground enemies. It really needs a re-balancing. It's pretty fun though, just wish it was actually possible to beat with any class.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png

User Info: tiomasta

tiomasta
7 months ago#72
Oh I just saw a thing that shows that actuated Grates make a great-looking window, can edge/hammer the upper shape in a bit of a triangle or keep a rectangle, maybe you'd want this for your windows or put some in the living room. You can even have Grates be open or closed through wiring to let light in or not

Had to see someone else playing to see the underground beach, and I had to read that I can't actually collect the special moss from the trailer unless I cut it with the Painter's paint remover. What. And I have to swipe like 20 before it gives me 1...

One vanity thing I just made is a little block fake lamppost, but it has a white torch and a blue torch inside, and I have a Day and a Night sensor connecting to both at once and I manually deactivated one torch, so now it uses the white torch at day and the blue torch at night to give a different feel depending on the time, and it instantly tells me when nighttime starts

I had tried the army on tier 2 earlier but I just couldn't do it with my exact equipment either, and I'm not even on master. One thing in general about it is that I think it's much worse to do singleplayer, where like in its native game you would get more people so you actually have one person per lane, each fully focusing time and resources on that one specifically. This more than being melee.
And it suddenly gets unlosable except for boss fights if you bring a Stake Launcher (Heat Ray worked too but stopped piercing in 1.4).

I do remember that the fire shot staff was the best at anti-airing out of them, but it only angles 45 degrees up/down so you need to have floating platforms to place them on so they have a clear shot on both air and ground
One tactic for the arena is to put conveyor blocks as the two extremes of the ground, pulling closer to the middle more to where you can see them, the enemies aren't affected at all but this will pull green crystal drops so you don't need to walk the whole way to get all of them, then the rest middle of the floor is asphalt just because it helps you
And the enemies still take trap damage, so you can put as many geysers as you have near the portals which should hurt even fliers some of the time, darts can be used if you mind that their range can hit you and they give momentary flinch invincibility (can put as 1height behind the portal and another closer to the middle facing it back), if you make the 11th block up from the ground a ceiling then fliers will clutter more to this height so dart traps should work on them here
And one thing I never tried is deliberately putting NPCs living in houses above the 11th ceiling, with only 3 blocks of solid ground floors then platforms for the rest of the floor, and a rectangle of platforms working as the house's solid wall and ceiling, so that they can help the fight with ranged attacks especially against fliers (Arms Dealer's gun, etc)
I breathe in ketchup and breathe out anxiety

EgoKiller801
7 months ago#73
So I tried to do Wall of Flesh. I'm convinced it's not possible for yoyo only in master mode. I prepped as much as I possibly could. I lined my entire runway with sunflowers, campfires, honey spots, and heart lanterns. Even put a couple wired up heart statues. I forged all of my gear to be warding, the second time I tried lucky. I even went and fished up a bunch of Honeyfins for the extra healing. I have every possible potion that could help me, used the sharpening station, even have two Bast statues. I have the best gear and accessories I can possibly have in pre-hardmode. Doesn't matter. The problem is that the Hungrys and Worms respawn quicker than I can kill them, so I never get a chance to attack the Wall of Flesh at all. I get a couple of shots in, but that's it. After a while it whittles me down and I die.

So I am dealing with a dilemma here. I'm obviously not just going to call it there, this is supposed to be a 'main world' of sorts. So I have to probably kill the thing with a different weapon type. I'm not happy about it, but there's literally nothing I can do. I think I'm just going to need to accept the fact that master mode is not meant for this type of thing. It's depressing after all the work I've put into it lol.

EgoKiller801
7 months ago#74
Thanks for the tips for Old One's Army btw. I did manage to beat it! Unfortunately conveyors aren't sold in pre-hardmode so I couldn't go that route. What really got me through it was really focusing my ballista towers by putting them as close to the crystal as possible, they were actually able to hit the wyverns that way. I also did a better job of getting their aggro and the swap to Lucky accessories really helped kill them quickly. After I cleared the wyverns, I just made a mad dash to the Dark Mage and got him before the crystal went down. I was able to do it twice in a row and get both the Trophy and Mask, so I won't have to deal with that for a while.

That's a good idea with the grates, that could look really cool. That's a block that I haven't messed with quite yet.

I'd love to see what your lamp post looks like.

The moss - I have the pink kind in my world and collected a bunch of it for my cavern town. I wish this super small drop chance wasn't a thing, it seems unnecessary. I really love how it looks though.

As for Master mode - I think that's just going to be the case for some class-based weapon only playthroughs. For some it'll be very doable. I could definitely see myself getting through it with Bows or Guns only. Mage weapons for sure as well. Melee is a total nightmare though. Everything up to Wall of Flesh is fine, you can prepare well and stock yourself up with the best gear and potions, but once you go after the Wall you're just done. It's practically impossible to be that close to the eyes/mouth without getting ruined. It's very possible in expert and it's something I've done several times, but one thing about Master mode is that it cranks HP levels of enemies up a ton so trying to kill the hungries is a fool's errand. I think what Master mode will be for me in the future is just a fun romp through the game using whatever and I'll stick to Expert for doing class-based stuff. I legit think Expert is just more fun in general just because bosses don't take years to kill. Like seriously, even with my full molten gear, cascade, full lucky accessories and buffs galore, Eater of Worlds was taking me a long time and farming it was miserable.

EgoKiller801
7 months ago#75
How goes it, Tiomasta?

With the chaos unfolding I haven't gotten a ton of time to play but I did manage to get some stuff done.

I ended up using summons and the thorn chakram to get past Wall of Flesh. Didn't feel good lol. The fight went nearly the entire length of the Underworld and I was constantly near death. I pivoted after that and I decided this would be a 'mostly yoyo but also ranged melee weapon' playthrough because I still want to keep the spirit of it. Hardmode has gone okay so far thanks to a ton of prep work before going in. I worked through the yoyos up to the Amarok, got a Yoyo Bag, and Frost Armor before taking on the certain Q Boss first. Went fairly well but to be fair I was super prepared for it. I've just been trying to blast through as quick as I can to Plantera to slow the Corruption spread. Of the Mech bosses, I've only killed the Destroyer of Worlds. I tried to do it the legit way with an arena and wings but I got super overwhelmed with probes and the Destroyer is comically tanky in Master mode. I ended up doing it the cheesy way after that with a box in the sky and using my yoyo and a Shadowflame Knife to shoot down on him. Haven't done much after that. I think I'll probably at least make an attempt at the Old One's Army second stage sort of deal but I'll probably be better served waiting until I can get Chlorophyte armor and other upgrades.

EgoKiller801
7 months ago#76
Alright, I've done it. Beat Moon Lord in Master Mode. Took a ton of effort. I had to practice on normal and expert for a long time before I felt comfortable doing it.

My thoughts on Master Mode:

It's kinda fun as a challenge. It's also nice being able to get a bunch of new pets, mounts, and a new accessory slot. That said, it's just not my idea of fun. I already get a good deal of challenge out of Expert Mode and I feel it is much better balanced. Master mode doesn't add new boss patterns or anything of that sort, all it does is ramp up the damage enemies do and cranks their HP up by a lot. After a while I just found it to be a slog. Grinding for trophies and masks gets old when every boss fight takes much longer. Trying to play it as some classes is a nightmare. No matter what I did I could not get past Wall of Flesh with just Yoyos. I imagine trying to play this as a Summoner would be horrible as well.

I might play Master Mode in the future, but I really just don't want to. Expert mode is far more balanced and it feels like playing as any class is actually possible. I like that they made this mode, but I just wish there was a better focus on balancing and that's not necessarily Master mode's issue, but balance with the classes themselves. Maybe they'll tune it a bit more but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't and that's also fine.

EDIT: Oh and Old One's Army is RIDICULOUS in Master Mode. The final stretch of it after you finish Golem is nuts. I legit don't know if it's even possible without post-Moon Lord gear. I tried with a Legendary Terra Blade and Flairon and still got obliterated. I think if anything REALLY needs a rework for Master Mode first, it's that event. Maybe it's easier with multiple players, but by yourself it's nuts.
  1. Boards
  2. Terraria
  3. 1.4/Journey'sEnd update comes to PC on May 16, on Terraria's 9th anniversary
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A