Why are jumping controls so bad? -_-

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valdis Story: Abyssal City
  3. Why are jumping controls so bad? -_-

User Info: vjackalx

vjackalx
4 years ago#11
tlalynet0 posted...
vjackalx posted...
The controls are pretty bad. Especially the fact that pressing down makes you ground pound / dash. It makes it so easy to screw up jumps.

Down being a drop is normal in platforms... I mean, think way back to things like Yoshi's island. It's a very intuitive place for a drop\dash.

If you're having problems with it you're probably on an oversensitive controller rather than keyboard. Just map skill cancel somewhere else...

I disagree. Look at the Mega Man X and Zero series, which relied heavily on their dashing, and did not map it to the down button. Usually, if you press Down to drop, it's as a combination with another button, like in most / all Mario titles since Mario 64. Indeed, mapping it somewhere else is the solid solution, but I think it was pretty boneheaded to put it as Down by default.

User Info: tlalynet0

tlalynet0
4 years ago#12
vjackalx posted...
tlalynet0 posted...
vjackalx posted...
The controls are pretty bad. Especially the fact that pressing down makes you ground pound / dash. It makes it so easy to screw up jumps.

Down being a drop is normal in platforms... I mean, think way back to things like Yoshi's island. It's a very intuitive place for a drop\dash.

If you're having problems with it you're probably on an oversensitive controller rather than keyboard. Just map skill cancel somewhere else...

I disagree. Look at the Mega Man X and Zero series, which relied heavily on their dashing, and did not map it to the down button. Usually, if you press Down to drop, it's as a combination with another button, like in most / all Mario titles since Mario 64. Indeed, mapping it somewhere else is the solid solution, but I think it was pretty boneheaded to put it as Down by default.

There is no air dash in valdis story, you can only dash on the ground. You also can't cast ground spells in the air. There is no reason to push down unless you actually want to go down. Its mechanics are not like Megaman. Plus it's actually a 'drop dash' since you can't drop if you have no skill cancels available.

Mario 64 is a 3d platformed, why did you even? In 2D mario games with a ground pound its just down.

If you're hitting keys other than those you intend the problem is truely and fully on your end, not the games. down in air does nothing but drop, there is no reason to push it if you don't want to drop. I take it you didn't map up to jump? Cause you'd have the same problem there if you did.

User Info: tarenwanderer

tarenwanderer
4 years ago#13

Down being a problem keymapping and being accidentally pressed would be a big deal, and quite possibly a deal-breaker, if you couldn't rebind both the keyboard and controller. But you can. So this is a non-issue.

I do feel like it can be a little rough around the edges at times, specifically whenever wall-clinging and wall jumping is involved. Otherwise it's quite fine by me. Can't complain. Though I can totally understand having a great deal more trouble if the framerate was wonky and the memory was borked.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. - Oscar Wilde
~ The Planeswalker ~ Delusion of Stability
  1. Boards
  2. Valdis Story: Abyssal City
  3. Why are jumping controls so bad? -_-

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived