the Void and Pathologic

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cargo! The Quest for Gravity
  3. the Void and Pathologic

User Info: Fizgot

Fizgot
7 years ago#1
Anyone played ether of the earlier stuff? I read about this on Kotaku and my curiosity is piqued.

However I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to buy Pathologic (the void and Cargo are both on steam)

Any help? Any thoughts? Any arbitrary ridicule?

User Info: N3Burgener

N3Burgener
7 years ago#2
In one of the very few other posts on this board, I had this to say about these two games:

I've played both of Ice-Pick Lodge's previous games, Pathologic and The Void. Both of those games are extremely unique and offer a crazy level of depth that you just don't find in other games. By "depth" I mean beyond just the specific game mechanics, I mean that those games are morally, ethically, and intellectually deep. However, both games are notorious for being difficult to figure out and to truly get into.

The vast majority of people who try them start out very enthusiastic. But then after a few hours the game grinds to a halt, and they either give up or start over. I myself had to stop playing each one and I'm only just now getting back to playing them again.

For example, The Void is so weird and unconventional that IPL advocates players to use cheat codes if it means they'll be able to play through the game. You harvest "color" and use it for .... everything. If you run out of color, you basically become unable to progress any further until you can get more. But in order to get color, you have to use color. So, you see how it becomes a Catch-22, especially since you don't begin to grasp how crucial the color is, and how to use it efficiently, until you're already several hours into the game.

Pathologic starts out fairly conventionally and ultimately plays like a more conventional game. However, it's also got some heavy duty resource-managing. Once the plague hits after the first day it becomes a real struggle to be able to acquire all of the things you need to save the people you need to save, but also just to keep yourself alive. The whole game experience is supposed to feel stifling (like a plague), and, like in The Void, you don't realize how certain game mechanics work until it's too late to fix the mistakes you've already made.

So, while both games feature somewhat complex gameplay mechanics, neither game is very up front about telling you how to use them properly. I guess that's supposed to be part of the experience, though. These are very "personalized" games where the bulk of the experience happens intrinsically, it's supposed to be about you learning things in each environment (a dying town, life after death). The games want you to make decisions and do things for yourself, and characters in the environment are often deceptive toward you about the repercussions of your actions. So that makes you question yourself as you do things.

They're both still extremely remarkable games, though, and I have to admire their ambition. They really try to do things that other games don't dare to do. Can you imagine if any "AAA" game tried to implement a gameplay mechanic that made it impossible to finish if the player screwed up? Or if characters lied to the player and actively tried to get them to screw up? As frustrating as these two games can get, they still feel really deep and wholesome.
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
The world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained, and re-designed

User Info: N3Burgener

N3Burgener
7 years ago#3
As for buying Pathologic, you can get it from Amazon's digital download service.
N3B was here -- [PDBA 4EVR]
The world exists primarily to be analyzed, understood, explained, and re-designed

User Info: G-Lord

G-Lord
7 years ago#4

Thanks for your insights, N3Burgener. I recently started playing Pathologic and I also plan to play The Void.

I bought Pathologic on GamersGate, it is also 33% off at the moment:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PATH/pathologic

Fizgot
7 years ago#5
Thanks for the help. I was going to start with Void, but maybe I should start with pathologic ...

User Info: G-Lord

G-Lord
7 years ago#6

Fizgot posted...
Thanks for the help. I was going to start with Void, but maybe I should start with pathologic ...

If you are interested in buying: I just remembered this thread when I saw the deal on GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PATH/pathologic

Fizgot
7 years ago#7
G-Lord posted...

Fizgot posted...

If you are interested in buying: I just remembered this thread when I saw the deal on GamersGate:http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PATH/pathologic

Thanks for the tip. I actually found the same price on Amazon.com and bought it a few days ago...

the translation is fairly bad... which doesn't detract as much as it might, given the foreign feel of the game... the strange dialog adds an additional layer of otherness. I expect to be killed shortly for not understanding some key points though. :P
  1. Boards
  2. Cargo! The Quest for Gravity
  3. the Void and Pathologic

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived