• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Secret of Mana and Adventures of Mana

User Info: Ding6

Ding6
3 weeks ago#1
Both of these games are currently on sale at the EU PS Store.
I never played any game on the mana franchise... should I play any of these 2? If so, which one I should play first?

I suppose none of them have a physical release (EU / ASIA ENG / US)?
Primus Animations - Motion-Comic artist
http://bio-dio.wix.com/primus-animations

User Info: bith_the_black

bith_the_black
3 weeks ago#2
No English physical release. If you haven't played either I'd go with Secret of Mana. The patches helped to fix a lot of early performance issues and I think it's the better of the two games overall.
"When a black moon shines, Light and Dark break apart, the King of Darkness howls"

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
3 weeks ago#3
Didn't play the remake of SoM but AoM is a very faithful recreation of a Game Boy game so it's a bit simple in terms of gameplay plus it has at least one instance of a puzzle solution being very cryptic. You have to walk around some palm trees in a specific order and it's not really explained. You also shouldn't expect to find modern necessities like map markers for where you need to go but it's not a massive world and generally pretty linear. The remade graphics also feel a bit cheap and simple.

I enjoyed it overall though. It has a nice adventure feel with a world to explore, weapons/armor/items to find, some dungeons and decent bosses. If you like classic Zelda and JRPGs and you are fine with simple mechanics then I think you may enjoy it. Just don't expect a particularly big or deep game.
It is both possible and even necessary to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of its more problematic or pernicious aspects. - Anita Sarkeesian

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
3 weeks ago#4
I really enjoyed both remakes on Vita, so I would recommend them, but I hope you're open to old school game design because, outside of the 3D graphics, they're very faithful to their original versions, which were on Game Boy and SNES. Don't expect the remakes to play like modern games. Adventures of Mana is the first game in the series, but it doesn't really add much to the plot of Secret of Mana, so you could just as well play Secret of Mana first (which is what I did, as I played the SNES version of Secret of Mana before I had played any other Mana game). Adventures of Mana is the shorter game, so if you want to hammer than one out and quickly move on to Secret of Mana, you could do that.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"
(message deleted)

User Info: NeoArashi

NeoArashi
2 weeks ago#6
If you have a Nintendo Switch, you may be better off just getting Collection of Mana.
Switch FC: SW-3869-5210-1124
3DS FC: 2337-9947-3728

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
2 weeks ago#7
NeoArashi posted...
If you have a Nintendo Switch, you may be better off just getting Collection of Mana.
Isn't that just the original games running in an emulator? Because that's not quite the same experience you get if you buy AoM and SoM on Vita/PS4.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
2 weeks ago#8
Yeah, Collection of Mana has ports of the 2D originals. Vita has 3D remakes of the first two games. To the best of my knowledge, there are no plans to bring these remakes to Switch, but Switch will have both versions of the third game, Trials of Mana (the original version on Collection of Mana and the 3D remake), while Vita won't get any version of Trials of Mana. Unfortunately there isn't any single platform where you can get them all.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
2 weeks ago#9
Aussie2B posted...
Yeah, Collection of Mana has ports of the 2D originals. Vita has 3D remakes of the first two games. To the best of my knowledge, there are no plans to bring these remakes to Switch, but Switch will have both versions of the third game, Trials of Mana (the original version on Collection of Mana and the 3D remake), while Vita won't get any version of Trials of Mana. Unfortunately there isn't any single platform where you can get them all.
Well, there is the option of getting the original ToM on Vita, but that's for the underground scene :p
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: bith_the_black

bith_the_black
2 weeks ago#10
Zero_Maniac posted...
Isn't that just the original games running in an emulator? Because that's not quite the same experience you get if you buy AoM and SoM on Vita/PS4.
I'd rather play the original SoM.
"When a black moon shines, Light and Dark break apart, the King of Darkness howls"
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Secret of Mana and Adventures of Mana
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers