• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. It's kinda sad how the Vita turned out

User Info: AttackUp

AttackUp
2 months ago#1
The system had so much potential
Recently played: Banjo-Tooie, Kirby 64
Currently playing: Rayman 2, Phantasy Star

User Info: -Meruru

-Meruru
2 months ago#2
Nah, Sony crippled the device to push PS3 and PS4, japanese devs and western indie devs did wonders with the limited hardware, if Sony would not pushed PS4 so hard in japan and put under the rug Vita, it would be got more PS2, PS3 ports, but the crippled hardware wasn't even up to run PS3 ports, so we missed more duds ports like catherine that run to 23fps.
"lmao" - dwdwdw6

User Info: VitaSocks235

VitaSocks235
2 months ago#3
but nowadays thanks to YouTube, it's actually popular now! :D

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
2 months ago#4
It got tons of games that appeal to my tastes, so I've got nothing to complain about. If anything, the lack of mainstream success allowed niche games to flourish, games that may have stayed Japan-only if localizers were busy with bigger name games.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: VitaSocks235

VitaSocks235
2 months ago#5
Aussie2B posted...
It got tons of games that appeal to my tastes, so I've got nothing to complain about. If anything, the lack of mainstream success allowed niche games to flourish, games that may have stayed Japan-only if localizers were busy with bigger name games.

True

User Info: TinyTim123

TinyTim123
2 months ago#6
Aussie2B posted...

This kinda works for me.
I've been uninterested in the majority of the AAA type games in the XBox360/PS3 era, which is very different than my interest in games the generation before.
So the Vita getting smaller scale games worked perfectly for me, and had a lot of stuff I enjoyed.
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
En un mundo perfecto, eso definitivamente importaria.

User Info: PortableNewbie

PortableNewbie
2 months ago#7
I know. :( So much sad.
Feel free to add me in FGO: Maximus - 415,486,017
Also known as BloodStainedKnight

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
2 months ago#8
No real evidence that the lack of big games made niche stuff flourish on the Vita. The Switch is getting both AAA blockbusters and panties-games like Senran and Moe Chronicle and the same can be said for the PS4. Visual novels are probably in a better state on the Switch too than they were on the Vita's second birthday. The only thing that has flourished when compared to other consoles is otome visual novels but it's not like that otome wave started when the Vita was two years old like the Switch is either.

A popular console can support more different types of games and the niche games people enjoyed on the Vita are continuing on the Switch and PS4. It was not thanks to the Vita's disastrous sales that they became "popular".
Big fan of video games.

User Info: -Meruru

-Meruru
2 months ago#9
INKU48 posted...
No real evidence that the lack of big games made niche stuff flourish on the Vita. The Switch is getting both AAA blockbusters and panties-games like Senran and Moe Chronicle and the same can be said for the PS4

The evidence is these games weren't localized before, was thanks to Vita these were taked in account in first place, otherwise will still looking them from afar and telling that they suck, who want that anime garbage.
"lmao" - dwdwdw6

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
2 months ago#10
-Meruru posted...
INKU48 posted...
No real evidence that the lack of big games made niche stuff flourish on the Vita. The Switch is getting both AAA blockbusters and panties-games like Senran and Moe Chronicle and the same can be said for the PS4

The evidence is these games weren't localized before, was thanks to Vita these were taked in account in first place, otherwise will still looking them from afar and telling that they suck, who want that anime garbage.

You can maybe make a case strictly for the panties-games but if I'm not mistaken, the 3DS Senran game was localized before any such games on the Vita. Its success also paved the way for more similar titles. We've also had stuff like Onechanbara and Dead or Alive Xtreme localized in the past. The DS also had quite a bit of visual novels and Aksys dipped their feet in otome late in the PSP lifespan with Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse. Plenty of niche JRPGs on the DS and PSP too.

And even if we say that niche games did better on the Vita than ever, what says it was due to its lackluster sales numbers? Maybe companies just noticed that western fans crave anime panties thanks to a few successes, including Senran on 3DS? Unless panties-games are tanking on Switch and PS4, which I can't find any evidence of them doing, then what says that they flourished on Vita because we didn't get mainstream games?
Big fan of video games.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. It's kinda sad how the Vita turned out
  • Topic Archived