Time to play a pure VN, and you all get to pick what.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Time to play a pure VN, and you all get to pick what.

User Info: gadgaurd

gadgaurd
7 months ago#1
Poll. - Results (62 votes)
Sweet Fuse: By Your Side.
12.9% (8 votes)
Steins;Gate.
66.13% (41 votes)
Amnesia: Memories.
3.23% (2 votes)
Xblaze: Code Embryo.
6.45% (4 votes)
Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth.
11.29% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I can't play another action game so soon after Ys VIII and I don't want to play a turn based RPG so soon after Utawarerumono. So I figure I'll completely wind down with something that demands nothing of me at all except the occasional dialogue choice or maybe puzzle(until Yomawari 2 comes out).
Eternal Gust: Now a Social Board.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1079-eternal-gust

User Info: Kindred

Kindred
7 months ago#2
sweet fuse is otome danganrona lite
if i had to pick a play order itd be
steins;gate = sweetfuse > code realize > amnesia > xblaze

User Info: Sprinkles_ASAP

Sprinkles_ASAP
7 months ago#3
Clannad
I identify as a Dragon.

User Info: bloodcoast

bloodcoast
7 months ago#4
I'd go for Dragon Quest Builders. I tried a VN after Utawarerumono; I was nitpicking every little thing that was wrong.

User Info: Sethman409

Sethman409
7 months ago#5
Steins;Gate
Bad Apple Wars
Amnesia: Memories

In that order. Steins;Gate is just the best, and if you haven't played it, do so. It's just so well written. Honestly my only complaint is the true ending conditions are weird. But it's kind of it's charm. And it makes sense in the end. Bad Apple Wars is the best Otome I've played. It's well written and intriguing, it was so good I burned through it in about 2 days. No bad routes too, I mean look at most and you'll find some sort of Stockholm syndrome choice, might be fine for some, but I can't like that.

As some one who has platinumed both, I speak from experience.
Ib,Persona 4G,Explorers of Sky,Stella Glow,Cold Steel 2,Bayonetta 2,Uncharted 4,Valkyrie Drive,FE:Fates,Persona 5,Criminal Girls,Senran Kagura EV, Conception II

User Info: Hercik1

Hercik1
7 months ago#6
The one with the samurais and the girl dressed as a boy. Never played the game but I really enjoyed the anime based on it. I’m sure someone knows the name of it it’s been rereleased like a 100 times already.

User Info: fiyeroatheart

fiyeroatheart
7 months ago#7
Amnesia > Code Realize > Sweet Fuse > other choice > Sprinkles ASAP > Steins Gate.

I feel like that accurately describes my dislike for Steins Gate.

Real Talk tho: Depending on "length" your choice can vary. Sweet Fuse is by far the shortest of your options, and it is a decent enough Otome VN. The only complaint i have is how repetitive it can get during the various routes and getting to those routes.

Code Realize kind of suffers the same problem, since the first 8 chapters are the same barring very minor differences, and its only the last 4-5 chapters for each route that switch things up.

The best thing about Amnesia is how non-repetitive it is in each route, since there is no "common" route that branches you into the different routes. You basically select your route from the get-go, and then your choices lead to bad endings, normal endings, or Good endings.

In addition, Amnesia also breaks repetition by changing the relationship you have with various characters depending on the route. In some routes certain characters will be your "best friends" and in others you barely even know them or interact with them. Hell in one route Shin (who is one of the main guys) is your "brother". To me, this is what sets it apart from everything else.

Steins Gate is, simply put, one of the worst VN's i have ever played. It lacks focus, and has a hard time finding it's "voice". It can't decide if it wants to be a Science Fiction Time travel novel, a "save the waifu" soap opera, a murder mystery with over the top campyness, or an anti-corporate humans are stupid ego-piece.
Currently Playing: CollarXMalice(Vita), Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4), Tactics Ogre: LUCT (PSP), Pokemon Gold (3DS)

User Info: Sethman409

Sethman409
7 months ago#8
fiyeroatheart posted...
Steins Gate is, simply put, one of the worst VN's i have ever played. It lacks focus, and has a hard time finding it's "voice". It can't decide if it wants to be a Science Fiction Time travel novel, a "save the waifu" soap opera, a murder mystery with over the top campyness, or an anti-corporate humans are stupid ego-piece.

No, Steins;Gate know exactly what it wants to be, a sci-fi adventure using time travel, and it does it's job amazingly. It's never a "save the waifu" tale, those endings are basically what-ifs, the story is all about your choices make branches in the world. Those endings follow those paths. It's like the alternate ending to Danganronpa. That's not the actual ending, but what could have happened. The only difference is Steins;Gate doesn't toss you back saying your decision was dumb. There's a reason the true ending is called the true ending. That's like saying defending Toma in Shin's route was just as accurate as taking Shin's side or not delivering Kent's papers to him is as accurate as delivering them to him. There's a reason true endings are called true endings, because that's how the story actually ends as dictated by the writers.

It's never a murder mystery, as there's very little mystery. Only at the beginning and it's shoved to the side soon after.
Ib,Persona 4G,Explorers of Sky,Stella Glow,Cold Steel 2,Bayonetta 2,Uncharted 4,Valkyrie Drive,FE:Fates,Persona 5,Criminal Girls,Senran Kagura EV, Conception II

User Info: fiyeroatheart

fiyeroatheart
7 months ago#9
Sethman409 posted...
fiyeroatheart posted...

No, Steins;Gate know exactly what it wants to be, a sci-fi adventure using time travel, and it does it's job amazingly. It's never a "save the waifu" tale, those endings are basically what-ifs, the story is all about your choices make branches in the world. Those endings follow those paths. It's like the alternate ending to Danganronpa. That's not the actual ending, but what could have happened. The only difference is Steins;Gate doesn't toss you back saying your decision was dumb. There's a reason the true ending is called the true ending. That's like saying defending Toma in Shin's route was just as accurate as taking Shin's side or not delivering Kent's papers to him is as accurate as delivering them to him. There's a reason true endings are called true endings, because that's how the story actually ends as dictated by the writers.

It's never a murder mystery, as there's very little mystery. Only at the beginning and it's shoved to the side soon after.

All Endings are part of the overall story in any VN. This does not mean they are the "canon" endings, nor does it mean that they are relevant to the "true" ending.....but they are part of the overall experience and story of the VN.

To make the claim that the "Save the waifu" endings in Steins Gate are not part of the story is just a ridiculous claim. They take up just about 7-10 hours worth of the overall experience. Literally at least 25-40% of your playtime will be in pursuit of those endings, or dealing with those endings. Not to even mention that if you try to get the most out of your playthru, a person will experience those endings back-to-back-to-back.....well before even getting hints of the "true" ending.

Also, the "true" ending is literally a "Save the Waifu" ending.....

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that only the "true" ending matters when discussing a Visual Novel, which is actually a very backwards way of looking at a Visual Novel. In most VN's, the "true" ending is like only 10-20% of the overall content of the VN......which means a vast majority of your playtime will deal with everything but the True ending.

I feel like a story should be judged by the entirety of it's content, not just how it ends.....judging a story by it's ending is one of the silliest things i have ever heard. Take, for example, "The Hunger Games". As an overall story, its not that bad....and can be quite entertaining overall. The ending however is one of the worst endings in Dystopian Teen novel history. Like honestly one of the worst endings ever......but that does not have any bearing on overall bearing of the rest of it's content.
Currently Playing: CollarXMalice(Vita), Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (PS4), Tactics Ogre: LUCT (PSP), Pokemon Gold (3DS)

User Info: melisyoo

melisyoo
7 months ago#10
Doki Doki Literature Club.
The consequences of erudite vernacular utilized irrespective of necessity.
As known as making oneself appear imbecile by using big words to impress people.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Time to play a pure VN, and you all get to pick what.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived