Need a grindy JRPG with a good story and 80+ hours of gameplay.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Need a grindy JRPG with a good story and 80+ hours of gameplay.

User Info: Amethyst85

Amethyst85
2 years ago#21
As a whole Breath of Fire is a pretty mediocre series. The games aren't bad but they're nothing special either. 4 does some interesting things but you're not really missing out on anything if you give the series a pass.

(Except for Dragon Quarter which is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it get an incredible amount of hate, mostly for the same reasons I mentioned in my earlier post about Chrono Cross.)
It is not my job to be right. It is my job to be wrong in new and exciting ways. - James Kennedy
Dame Amethyst - Knight of the Order of Odd-Fish

User Info: Portal_Gamer

Portal_Gamer
2 years ago#22
For PS1 games, Grandia.

Best battle system in a JRPG.
Most recently a player of story-driven JRPGs AND an exception: HDN.
Valkyria Chronicles is currently the best JRPG on Steam.....I think. (excluding FFs)

User Info: Jmanghan

Jmanghan
2 years ago#23
If you're open to Action-RPG's, Dissidia offers tons of content, and the game has 3 different story modes that are each long, 4 if you count Shade Impulse, and 5 if you count user-created stories/your own stories.

The problem is, the stories aren't too interesting, but the premise is pretty awesome and the gameplay is amazing once you try it.

People will lead you to believe its not beefy as an RPG, when it has some of the most customization I've seen in an Action-RPG, you can customize pretty much everything, barring physical features, like new weapons and stuff, the only exception to that being the alternate outfits.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Xio (Class: Fighter)
PSN: Ghj547.

User Info: Jmanghan

Jmanghan
2 years ago#24
Amethyst85

Breath of Fire IV is one of the best RPG's ever made, III is pretty great too.

The new ones are awful though.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Xio (Class: Fighter)
PSN: Ghj547.

User Info: RadKickAss

RadKickAss
2 years ago#25
Rainbow Moon?
SURE, I'LL TAKE YOU TO A GOOD PLACE. HEH!! HEH!! HEH!!
PSN: RadKickAss // 3DS: 4957-3805-8646

User Info: OosontheLoose

OosontheLoose
2 years ago#26
Lickmycrithit posted...
OosontheLoose posted...
Lickmycrithit posted...
OosontheLoose posted...
You open to PS1/PSP titles? Because the Vita isn't known for having JRPGs with good stories.

Age ain't no thing to me friend, I recently played Chrono Trigger and loved it.

Hell yeah! Have you played its sequel yet? It's good, just don't go into it expecting it to be as amazing as the original. What about Xenogears?

I've been too scared to play Chrono Cross. I constantly hear of how terrible it is.
Actually I don't think I've ever actually looked into Xenogears.

CC is good, I just feel like the Chrono IP was shoehorned into it. It would have been better accepted if it had been a new IP.

Check out Xenogears dude, it's amazing.
NOW PLAYING: Corpse Party: Blood Drive & Zero Time Dilemma

User Info: Naughty_Lemon

Naughty_Lemon
2 years ago#27
I second on ar nosurge but be sure to read the story synopsis of ciel nosurge somwhere, because you can be confused about characters and their motivation for what they`re doing. Also beware, because this game has naked butts of underaged girls out in the open, so be sure you aren`t offended by that kind of thing. The diving system alone i think, would give what you crave for

User Info: xXkewls0358

xXkewls0358
2 years ago#28
I Am Setsuna coming july 19th too, no clue how long of a game it'll be though.
fEeD mEh!!1

User Info: jenrais

jenrais
2 years ago#29
Lickmycrithit posted...
helldew posted...
just work through sky sky SC and CS those 3 games are gonna last you around 200 hours easily.

I probably should. But I feel like playing a handheld and my Trails of the sky games are on PC lol

Trails of the sky FC and SC on the vita store

User Info: jenrais

jenrais
2 years ago#30
Lickmycrithit posted...
gadgaurd posted...
Ar Nosurge Plus.

Combat doesn't look to be my type.

Amethyst85 posted...
Chrono Cross isn't terrible. It's actually pretty good. However it's VERY different from Chrono Trigger and has very little to do with it story wise. It's really a sequel in name only. Taken on it's own Chrono Cross is a good game, but many people went into it expecting Chrono Trigger 2 and were disappointed when they didn't get it (see also, Dragon Quarter.)

Yeeeaah I should probably play it just to form my own opinion.

Chrono cross is my favorite game on the PS1

The only hate comes from how different it is compared to the first.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. Need a grindy JRPG with a good story and 80+ hours of gameplay.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived