super informative Silent Hill Book of Memories interview

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. super informative Silent Hill Book of Memories interview

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
5 years ago#1
the one thing they did right was character creation, opening up more protagonist customization (which the series should have, it definitely made series like The Elder Scrolls better and more flexible). but yeah these devs should have used the SH8 camera format and atmosphere. http://www.rpgamer.com/games/sh/shbm/shbmint.html

User Info: JongJungBu

JongJungBu
5 years ago#2
I'm tempted to go ahead and buy it this Tuesday when I had planned on waiting till December. I'd love a good dungeon crawler, and based on the demos, Silent Hill "did it" for me while Dungeon Hunter did not.
PSN: Jongjungbu

User Info: Mask_of_Desire

Mask_of_Desire
5 years ago#3
I'd be more forgiving of this game if it weren't called, "Silent Hill".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/MaskofDesire.jpg

User Info: LudwigVanTroII

LudwigVanTroII
5 years ago#4

I see you regurgitating this same s*** in every Book of Memories topic. It's a spinoff and nobody has a gun to your head making you buy it. Get over it.
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.

User Info: GradyHoover

GradyHoover
5 years ago#5

Are you still bitter that "Super Mario" Kart didn't let you stomp on Goombas in a side-scrolling environment?
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games

User Info: hustlin_pimpste

hustlin_pimpste
5 years ago#6
Another one of 'those' games that has no reviews out even right up until the last minute ... i am always suspicious of games that do that.
"Distance is it's own reward." - Tommy
http://tinyurl.com/2b5vuay

User Info: GradyHoover

GradyHoover
5 years ago#7
Most games force reviews to wait until the release date, though. Unless they're big, big releases.

Yeah, the reviews are embargo'd until tomorrow, but that's pretty common, it seems.
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games

User Info: hustlin_pimpste

hustlin_pimpste
5 years ago#8
Embargoes for big games are pretty much the norm today - which I will never agree with - but when it''s for games like this, I always get suspicious. Sadly, they usually turn out to be turkeys or just very average.
"Distance is it's own reward." - Tommy
http://tinyurl.com/2b5vuay

User Info: gray_fox_00

gray_fox_00
5 years ago#9
GradyHoover posted...

Are you still bitter that "Super Mario" Kart didn't let you stomp on Goombas in a side-scrolling environment?

It's a bit different taking cartoony game characters and switching from side scroll to a karting game or a paint game than a horror game.

With survival horror it's always been limited view in front of you. This just completely breaks it by giving the over the top view. So, I'm pretty sure I'm not buying a top down dungeon crawler horror game. I didn't like the Tomb Raider dungeon crawler and I got that for free, so why would I pay for this.

I love the series, but this just isn't Silent Hill at it's core. I'd say the same thing if Capcom did this with Resident Evil or EA with Dead Space. The only real spin offs for survival horror that really works is the on-rails/semi-on-rails first person shooters because that still maintains the limited view. Hell the wonky camera angles are what made the survival horror games for me. Walking around a corner blind to find a hallway full of zombies or necromorphs and trying to stay alive or run away.

I feel the same way as Mask. They're probably pissing off a decent amount of SH fans by tacking the name onto a game that's more dungeon crawler than survival horror. People that might have bought the game if it had been named otherwise.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

User Info: LudwigVanTroII

LudwigVanTroII
5 years ago#10
I love the series, but this just isn't Silent Hill at it's core.

It's a spinoff. It's supposed to be trying different things. I don't know why some people act like light hearted, non serious stuff like Mario is supposed to get a free pass when it comes to spinoffs. But all of a sudden this one series is not supposed to have any. It's supposed to be nothing but all serious, ALL THE TIME. Hell, even MGS got several spinoffs including a card battle game of all things and I've never this amount of unfounded b****ing about that game's existence.

You're talking about a series that gave us UFO endings and Heather wearing a Sailor Moon outfit while shooting laser beams out of her eyes. As far as the "pissed off fans" are concerned, let them be pissed off for all I care. The SH fanbase is among the most spoiled, self entitled, and bratty ones in existence and I have no sympathy for people who keep crying "It's not Silent Hill!" while continuously missing the point.

I can understand not being interested in the game, but ragging it because it's trying new ideas (which is what Silent Hill should be doing anyway since repetition is detrimental to the concept of survival horror) in a spin off you don't have to be is not a reason laced in logic.

These complaints really don't do the image of SH fandom any favors. They're already regarded as among the most mentally screwed up fanbases in existence.
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. super informative Silent Hill Book of Memories interview

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived