IF the Vita flops it won't be because of Tablets Smartphones etc.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. IF the Vita flops it won't be because of Tablets Smartphones etc.

User Info: r_m_8_8

r_m_8_8
5 years ago#41
maximumbarmage posted...
Tablets and Smartphones are the future of handheld gaming, like it or not.

Even the Vita scrapes out it's current predicament (Which is likely when the price comes down), it will be a temporary reprieve at best.

Handheld consoles are on borrowed time.

Mobile gaming took the Cooking Mama crowd, yeah, but no one is really skipping Monster Hunter, Mario, Dragon Quest or Pokémon because of Where's My Water. There'll be room for both, in the same way consoles and gaming PCs exist.
Now playing: Frogger 3D (3DS), Crimson Dragon: Side Story (WP)
| 3DS | PS3 | PC | Wii |

User Info: Megaman Omega

Megaman Omega
5 years ago#42

Even the Vita scrapes out it's current predicament (Which is likely when the price comes down), it will be a temporary reprieve at best.

Oh look, another lolworthy maximumblamage post. Then why is it that the 3DS is outpacing the DS, the best selling handheld of all time?
Most publishes have nothing to do with the games they publish. - Sailor Goon
The Vita pushed out more launches than 3DS in the same time frame. - Sailor Goon

User Info: nariusseldon

nariusseldon
5 years ago#43
maximumbarmage posted...

The trend looks so. Now a lot of people are on denial, citing all sort of excuses. I suppose when 2012 numbers come in, the picture will be much clearer.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
5 years ago#44
nariusseldon posted...
maximumbarmage posted...

The trend looks so. Now a lot of people are on denial, citing all sort of excuses. I suppose when 2012 numbers come in, the picture will be much clearer.

Writing the same post twice in a topic doesn't make you more credible.
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."

User Info: The_DOAM

The_DOAM
5 years ago#45
Megaman Omega posted...

Oh look, another lolworthy maximumblamage post. Then why is it that the 3DS is outpacing the DS, the best selling handheld of all time?

I'll answer that it's because the 3ds is an upgrade to the DS complete backward compatibility if only the vita had it. People buy new iPhone, Mp3 players and cars all the time and they just move their music, apps and fuzzy dice over. I can't move my Psp's fuzzy dice to the vita now can I.

Ya see A bu-ray can play dvd's but Betamax can't play VHS hell to that I'll keep my naughty Vhs collection. The PsP is VHS and the Vita is Betamax and like Betamax it will follow the same fate. If the Vita was as big a of a change as a dvd where people are willing to disregard their own collection on move forward. But it's not the 3ds is like buyin a blu-ray player no downside whatsoever cause I can still watch my dvd's.

(Betamax was before my day but I wonder how many people have heard off and understand how history is kinda repeatin itself.)
Ignorance is Bliss...

User Info: nariusseldon

nariusseldon
5 years ago#46
GeminiX7 posted...
nariusseldon posted...
maximumbarmage posted...

Writing the same post twice in a topic doesn't make you more credible.

Nor less. But it will spark more discussion and response like yours.

Megaman Omega
5 years ago#47
Megaman Omega posted...

I'll answer that it's because the 3ds is an upgrade to the DS complete backward compatibility if only the vita had it. People buy new iPhone, Mp3 players and cars all the time and they just move their music, apps and fuzzy dice over. I can't move my Psp's fuzzy dice to the vita now can I.

Ya see A bu-ray can play dvd's but Betamax can't play VHS hell to that I'll keep my naughty Vhs collection. The PsP is VHS and the Vita is Betamax and like Betamax it will follow the same fate. If the Vita was as big a of a change as a dvd where people are willing to disregard their own collection on move forward. But it's not the 3ds is like buyin a blu-ray player no downside whatsoever cause I can still watch my dvd's.

(Betamax was before my day but I wonder how many people have heard off and understand how history is kinda repeatin itself.)

Yeah, that's part of the reason why the 3DS is so successful. But i can't blame Sony for that. They shot themselves in the foot when they made UMDs.
COD:BOD is definitely the highest budget Vita title - GeassMaster
I come to GameFAQs to be a ******* and create strife/hate on the message boards. - GeassMaster

User Info: kcypher2000

kcypher2000
5 years ago#48
r_m_8_8 posted...
maximumbarmage posted...

Mobile gaming took the Cooking Mama crowd, yeah, but no one is really skipping Monster Hunter, Mario, Dragon Quest or Pokémon because of Where's My Water. There'll be room for both, in the same way consoles and gaming PCs exist.

You are fooling yourself if you think some people aren't passing on handhelds because of smart phones. Guess what my phone can play ps1 games, gba games and has smart phone exclusives. Oh and it can make calls which is mandatory for something i plan to carry around.

Smartphones may lack controls but that doesn't matter for rpgs and any non fighting game. Some platformers actually play very well on smart phones. Besides i only play mobile games now when im killing time or dropping a dos. Otherwise i play consoles which have way better controls then handhelds.

User Info: TranslatorTom

TranslatorTom
5 years ago#49
Sony stuck with the PS3 even when it was unprofitable, and managed to turn things around. The Vita user base growth is slow, but steady. As the user base continues to increase, it should draw in more developers over time.

The Vita faces competition from every angle, even its predecessor the PSP, which continues to get exclusive games announced for it to this day in Japan.

I believe that Sony's in it for the long haul. In fact, they CAN'T just kill of the Vita because without it, they'd only have the PSP, which would be out-of-date.
-Tom

Megaman Omega
5 years ago#50
Sony stuck with the PS3 even when it was unprofitable, and managed to turn things around.

Yeah. By moneyhatting it with 5 billion dollars. This got them into the abysmal state they're in now. They can't afford it again.

The Vita user base growth is slow, but steady. As the user base continues to increase, it should draw in more developers over time.

No. It doesn't even grow steadily. It's exponentionally decaying, hoping for its few releases to spike the sales up a bit for a week and a half. As a rule of thumb, if the average person buys a system, they will buy three games in th first year, two the year after, one the year after and 0.5 games the year after. Slow growth doesn't help. Or why do you think it is that almost no PS2 games are sold today? On top of that there's the fact that Vita game sales per system are already horrid to begin with.

The Vita faces competition from every angle, even its predecessor the PSP, which continues to get exclusive games announced for it to this day in Japan.

I believe that Sony's in it for the long haul. In fact, they CAN'T just kill of the Vita because without it, they'd only have the PSP, which would be out-of-date.

At least the PSP was sucessful. They also got the PS3 and plan to make a PS4 sometime.
COD:BOD is definitely the highest budget Vita title - GeassMaster
I come to GameFAQs to be a ******* and create strife/hate on the message boards. - GeassMaster
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation Vita
  3. IF the Vita flops it won't be because of Tablets Smartphones etc.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived