• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Caius and the end of XIII-2 (Spoilers)

User Info: randall36135

randall36135
3 months ago#1
There's a number of things I'm confused about with this game. I've played the trilogy multiple times so if these answers are in them then I'm not recalling.
  1. Why did Noel and Serah continue on to kill Caius after A Dying World? They speak to the spirits of those who have passed on and Noel passes the test of whether he's ready to kill Caius. Not 'stop' Caius, but 'kill' Caius. But Caius told him what happens after the Heart of Chaos is destroyed. I mean did they forget or something? Its been so long since my first playthrough that I cant remember exactly what I thought but I know I literally forgot about the whole thing with the Heart of Chaos until Noel remembered in the ending. Every time I've replayed though I've wondered about this. So why did they continue towards this task? Why was the Heart of Chaos never brought up between Noel and Serah?
  2. After Caius defeating Lightning at the beginning of the Requiem of the Goddess DLC, why didn't he go ahead and kill Etro then and there? Did the order of doings things (Killing Etro and crashing the New Cocoon) not matter at this point? Or did he head to Academia 500 to goad Noel into destroying the Heart of Chaos as that would take care of everything? I really don't get what's stopping him from killing her.
  3. Why does no one point out that Caius forcing Etro's Gate open wide would possibly bring the Maker back like the Sanctum fal'Cie were trying to do? I guess Noel saying "For example, if Cocoon should fall" was a callback to that, but I could've sworn there was something different to Caius' methods where the Maker coming back wouldn't happen, unless I was thinking wrong. I know the barriers between realms breaking down woke Bhunivelze, but that wasn't a thing yet when this game came out.
I'd really appreciate some clearing up with this.

User Info: AndoYzerman

AndoYzerman
2 months ago#2
1) they weren't trying to kill Caius, they were trying to undo his changes to the timeline. The major one being stopping him from destroying the old and new Cocoons over Pulse. Remember, you get to choose to kill him or not. But either way, the game says, "lol, you killed him!"

2) Didn't buy DLC for this. The concept of it was criminal

3) They conveniently forgot about the Cocoon Fal'Cie plan when writing this game, although, Orphan/Barthandelus scheme was just a theory. The Maker / Bhunivelze may or may not have showed up if Ragnarok had destroyed Cocoon. Maybe some of this is cleared up in FFXIII. I don't recall, but I'll be replaying that one next!

User Info: xfyrenx

xfyrenx
2 months ago#3
randall36135 posted...
Why did Noel and Serah continue on to kill Caius after A Dying World? They speak to the spirits of those who have passed on and Noel passes the test of whether he's ready to kill Caius. Not 'stop' Caius, but 'kill' Caius. But Caius told him what happens after the Heart of Chaos is destroyed. I mean did they forget or something?
As said, they were just trying to stop him, but Caius forced their hand. It's not like Noel killed him because he wanted to. The part with the spirits was just to test Noel's determination, because he was always hesitating before.

randall36135 posted...
After Caius defeating Lightning at the beginning of the Requiem of the Goddess DLC, why didn't he go ahead and kill Etro then and there?
Because he'd need to commit suicide, and if he could do that from the start, why bother doing any of his plans? The idea is that he needs to be bested in a fight first (probably the only time the Heart is actually vulnerable, as it's supposed to pass on to the next Guardian), which is why he went to Academia 500 to fight Noel and Serah. Remember that getting the Heart destroyed was the plan from the start: everything else was a way to force the final confrontation.

randall36135 posted...
Why does no one point out that Caius forcing Etro's Gate open wide would possibly bring the Maker back like the Sanctum fal'Cie were trying to do? I guess Noel saying "For example, if Cocoon should fall" was a callback to that, but I could've sworn there was something different to Caius' methods where the Maker coming back wouldn't happen, unless I was thinking wrong.
I don't remember anything about Caius' methods being any different, or even being presented as having a different outcome. It's more likely Caius didn't know, or didn't care, about the possibility.
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier

User Info: AndoYzerman

AndoYzerman
1 month ago#4
After playing LR, it dawned on me that Caius got everything he wanted. What came to be was what he said he wanted with his scheme.

User Info: roxas9001

roxas9001
3 weeks ago#5
AndoYzerman posted...
3) They conveniently forgot about the Cocoon Fal'Cie plan when writing this game, although, Orphan/Barthandelus scheme was just a theory. The Maker / Bhunivelze may or may not have showed up if Ragnarok had destroyed Cocoon. Maybe some of this is cleared up in FFXIII. I don't recall, but I'll be replaying that one next!

randall36135 posted...
3. Why does no one point out that Caius forcing Etro's Gate open wide would possibly bring the Maker back like the Sanctum fal'Cie were trying to do? I guess Noel saying "For example, if Cocoon should fall" was a callback to that, but I could've sworn there was something different to Caius' methods where the Maker coming back wouldn't happen, unless I was thinking wrong. I know the barriers between realms breaking down woke Bhunivelze, but that wasn't a thing yet when this game came out.
I'd really appreciate some clearing up with this.

That's no such thing as "the maker" that's a dub only addition.

Outside of Pulse & Lindzei, none of lower fal'Cie knew of Bhunivelze's existence. They thought that by finding Etro's Gate, they'd find their respective creators.
Ah yes.. Laguna. A man so manly that God himself will reach out his hand in an open field to hold the rope so he can use Desperado.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Caius and the end of XIII-2 (Spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A