• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Alternative challenge to NCU

User Info: chrcol

chrcol
7 months ago#1
The aim of this challenge is to make the game feel closer to FF13 in terms of balance, but also not be excessively restrictive.

The bad news is the rules I used I think would be difficult to "fully" implement on the console version of the game but I am happy for someone to test this using the default item capacity although you wont have as much fun with equipment strategy.

So the rules?

No crystarium limits for monsters.
Serah and noel have to abide by the 2 following rules.
1 - No crystarium for first 2 chapters. Then after that once crystarium expansion per chapter completed, and also one node progression per fragment collected, so if you rush through the game you wont be able to level them up, it encourages you to do side questing. Note to clarify here lets say e.g. you require 13 nodes to expand the crystarium and you have 10 fragments, it means you can do 10 nodes in "total" and not even do the single expansion. If you had more than 13 nodes, you would have to stop at the expansion and keep the excess nodes ready for when you finish the next chapter.
2 - pick 3 primary roles for each human, they cannot share a role, when crystarium is expanded, if a primary role is not yet unlocked, you have to unlock it before been able to pick other options. You are allowed to use secondary roles which are already learnt at start of game but cannot use any nodes on them.
3 - when caius is defeated at end of game, the expansion limit is removed, however you can still only do one node per fragment, and only primary roles. If you have done most fragments available this should allow 3 more expansions successively with a few nodes spare as well.
4 - with these you should be able to do the mini bosses like the steppe fights and alternative endings. When all 160 fragments are done, you then have no limits and can max out for the DLC stuff if you choose to.

Extra - Starting item capacity of 205 - the idea behind this is for your accessories to help build your characters in specific ways. 205 will still restrict you when you earn higher tier equipment, so isnt a free for all, but it is high enough to allow you to vary your builds a lot, achievable with cheat engine on the PC (only needs to be set once then saves in your save file), not sure if can be done on the ps3 with a save editor.

The idea of this challenge is not for it to be as hard as NCU, because it isnt, it will be obviously much easier, but its still nowhere near as easy as playing the stock game, as I was progressing I had 100s of thousands of unspent CP on my humans so obviously they were significantly weaker than they otherwise would have been. Similarities to FF13 come in that the character progression will feel very slow like the first game, linked to game progress rather than grinding CP from enemies, and accessories play a bigger part again.

People who of course are used to NCU may cry "too easy" and this isnt for you, but I hope some will find this interesting and I do hope also people find a way to mod the inventory limit on the ps3, as it makes the game a lot more fun with the equipment.
(edited 7 months ago)

User Info: destrian522

destrian522
7 months ago#2
hmm. So does the node progression restriction apply on top of the expansion triggers, or are both restrictions active at the same time? (So if you needed 13 nodes to max stage 1 as a hypothetical and you were in Episode 3, you still could only max the stage if you had 13 fragments collected?)
CWLSIV | http://www.twitch.tv/destrianiv

chrcol
5 months ago#3
Correct, both at the same time, would need 13 fragments.

There is enough side quests that its possible to never be restricted by the fragments, on the per chapter limits.

So e.g. when I got to chapter 3 I was able to do the expansion.
Same with rest of chapters, so the only time I hit an actual node limit was after I beat caius.

But I was side questing as early as possible when they became available.

Also i decided to keep the limits in place I had after I did the 160 fragments, and I was able to do some of the DLC fights, but I expect I am not good enough at the game to do all of them.

The fight that was a real challenge was noel solo against caius, a DPS problem, critical bravery just about got me able to do the fight. Had to keep letting him getting me down to critical HP without dieing. Was a real nice challenge.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: groudonvert

groudonvert
4 months ago#4
Most of the DLC fights are doable on NCU (except Valfodr lv 99), so you should be able to do it with your rules.

Besides that, no limited cristarium for the Monsters make the challenge too easy. Why ? Chichu.

chrcol
2 months ago#5
groudonvert posted...
Most of the DLC fights are doable on NCU (except Valfodr lv 99), so you should be able to do it with your rules.

Besides that, no limited cristarium for the Monsters make the challenge too easy. Why ? Chichu.

Chichu not much use to me till post game, due to materials needed.

Also I am not good enough to do DLC fights on NCU, I probably wouldnt get past halfway through the game on NCU. A few fights were quite tough on the rules I set. I initially tried to do NCU, then migrated to my system, so I think i probably got stuck on chapter 3 without expanding. NCU isnt for everyone, to me its just too much. This is a in between of stock too easy game, and the other extreme which is NCU.

So how do you e.g. do a fight where the enemy does say 2000 damage per hit and you have 500hp? I assume its a spam potion/revive fest.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: UnseenChaos

UnseenChaos
2 months ago#6
Either SEN to reduce the damage to the party or use single Ruin attacks with Serah to force her to move backwards and out of range of the AoE attacks.

Of course, some fights just aren’t realistic. I was told Valfodr lvl 99 and A Dying World’s hard mode of Caius are both impossible.

Edit: Oh yeah, the guy you were talking to is the one who told me about the above two fights, lol.
Illusions of the past. You think to have cast them off, only to find them years later, unwearying, unrelenting. -- Foris Zecht
https://twitch.tv/Unseen_Chaos
(edited 2 months ago)

chrcol
2 months ago#7
NCU is fine for those who like the challenge, and I respect it, but this one is better for me as I feel its more enjoyable.

I just hope people understand that, it doesnt need to be either vanilla or NCU, there can be in between's. :)

User Info: groudonvert

groudonvert
2 months ago#8
Well, except Caius who's hard (and need a little luck ^^' ), the really first hard Boss is Adam. In fact, Protect/Shell and Fortification can take almost everything. And the abilities you can't take, for the most part, you need to go away from the ennemy, or use Reraise.

But you're free to play as you want ^^

1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Alternative challenge to NCU
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A