Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.

User Info: MagnaderAlpha

MagnaderAlpha
6 years ago#21
<<I agree with Itou and have been saying since XIII was released that he HAS to be the director of XV. I dont think he has been working on anything real big, so XV has to be his next big project....>>

They've hinted that Itou is working on a BIG unannounced project, which is why he seems MIA. Seemingly, he's so connected to the project, he barely had time to give advice regarding Vaan's movement in the game, but seemingly he was pleased at how he turned out, as well as his winning stance(which is Itou's favorite). The idea he's working on something BIG and unknown is awesome, especially after all the rumors that he left Square, even though it was apparent there are TWO Hiroyuki Itous in the gaming business. If the big, unannounced project IS FFXV, I might have a heartattack!!!

User Info: JudgeNoah

JudgeNoah
6 years ago#22
Mindwipe77 posted...
JudgeNoah posted...
i feel sorry for him being surrounded by talentless hacks like Toriyama and Nomura

you mean those same talentless hacks that make more then you?

oh yes because money makes someone better than others. nice theory there
DO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE DAT CHOCOBO!!!!!

User Info: Mindwipe77

Mindwipe77
6 years ago#23
ZackEshna posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...
JudgeNoah posted...
i feel sorry for him being surrounded by talentless hacks like Toriyama and Nomura

you mean those same talentless hacks that make more then you?

"they make more money than you, ergo, they are better than you"

that works the same for you as well though ^^
Now Playing-Skyrim(360) King of Fighters 13(360)
Buying next- Final Fantasy 13-2 CE( PS3)Kingdom of Amalur SE(360)

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
6 years ago#24
Ren_eko posted...
Nomura said nothing about it being late game, he only said you could use weapons as shields.

It seems like a great feature for strategic movement around the battlefield like we see in the trailer, Noctis throws is sword at a ranged soldier in the back allowing you to pass through the guards in your way to take him out, also saw him dodging a behemoth swipe by teleporting right above it's head.

There aren't TPS sections, Prompto's gameplay style is played as TPS, and we already saw that you can shoot a flying enemy in the head or wings to make him drop or shoot the behemoth in weak spots, we saw that you can aim at environmental spots to create damage, maybe you can't aim at arms of standard enemies, but you can't do that either in DS or any other Action game that comes to memory :\

Again it just seems that:

1- You've already decided Versus will be bad and lack any sort of depth so you can add Nomura to your wine and cheese rant about no competent directors.

2- You haven't played DS.

Nomura said that using weapons as shields was something you can make Noctis do late game. He was referring to the CGI trailer and said players will not have Noctis be that strong but can make him that strong if they will it. Meaning Noctis won't be able to use shields at the start of the game or even mid-game. You'll have to grind your ass off to reach that level. That's why is wasn't shown in the January 2011 trailer.

The sword teleport is gimmicky. It's no different to the teleport in DMC3. There's little innovation in game design with this feature and it only looks cool. If there was Assassin's Creed platforming in the game and you could throw your sword anywhere and teleport where you threw it then I'd say that's innovation. Also, the TPS section have a lot to learn from RE4 if they want to have strategy. Th environment damage is a plus but that's ripped from RE4 anyway.

I do have hope for Versus XIII but I'm not expecting much as I've seen Nomura's game design track record and it's mostly style over substance. History will likely repeat.

Dragonspear2462 posted...
...Why do you keep mentioning Advent Children... It's not even a game...

The first trailer for Versus XIII opens with he line: "From the creators of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII Advent Children."
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex

User Info: ShinGundam

ShinGundam
6 years ago#25
Having high self esteem is typically a perception of attractive merits but to me I don't find anything attractive about Hiroyuki Ito's directions, he is nothing more than an average battle planner/battle director so i don't miss him.

I think about it like this did i enjoy FF12's bland dungeons ? Did i like weak gameplay pace or detachment from combat or how every character plays the same ? or how weak the encounter system is.

Didn't the team themselves said they did lack any vision about the game much like 13?
If that is our competent director then no wonder this company reached this low state.

Thinking about it now 12 suffer from both weak levels and enemies bond of their corner why don't go to 12's board criticize Ito over these rather than nitpicking a "work on progress" footage?

User Info: shinigami_matt

shinigami_matt
6 years ago#26
ShinGundam posted...
Having high self esteem is typically a perception of attractive merits but to me I don't find anything attractive about Hiroyuki Ito's directions, he is nothing more than an average battle planner/battle director so i don't miss him.

I think about it like this did i enjoy FF12's bland dungeons ? Did i like weak gameplay pace or detachment from combat or how every character plays the same ? or how weak the encounter system is.

Didn't the team themselves said they did lack any vision about the game much like 13?
If that is our competent director then no wonder this company reached this low state.

Thinking about it now 12 suffer from both weak levels and enemies bond of their corner why don't go to 12's board criticize Ito over these rather than nitpicking a "work on progress" footage?

This. I'll take Nomura's over-stylized gamplay over boring ass gamplay any day.
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
6 years ago#27
ShinGundam posted...

FFXII has dungeons on par with a 3D Zelda game. No other 3D FF has dungeons on that level. Characters only play the same in FFXII if you develop them the same. You can make them unique by giving them each unique Gambits. The encounter system is as seamless as you can get. So the encounter in 3D Zelda and other seamless 3D games is weak? Terrible logic.

The FFXII team never said they lack direction with FFXII. That's what was said about FFXIII. The FFXII team, or Ito specifically, aimed to make a fully realised vast world with seamless battles, and they achieved their goal. They achieved it on a freaking PS2 with no hard drive for extra memory to share the bulk of the code. He's a competent director as he achieves his targets with success. If he says he will make something work in a way then it damn well will when the game comes out.
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex

User Info: Kagayaku08

Kagayaku08
6 years ago#28
did versus 13 come out yet? Do anyone really know what going on in 13-2 or even Type-0?

do people require evidence to make INFORMED statements now or can everyone just pull crap from their ass and say anything that comes to mind? All i'm seeing is overarching statements of two games in japanese and one thats not had any information released since last year.
**official** Vyers: Dark Adonis of the Final Fantasy Type-0 Boards
*:*Sice*:* Floats like a butterfly, stings like the Grim Reaper

User Info: shinigami_matt

shinigami_matt
6 years ago#29
Kagayaku08 posted...
did versus 13 come out yet? Do anyone really know what going on in 13-2 or even Type-0?

do people require evidence to make INFORMED statements now or can everyone just pull crap from their ass and say anything that comes to mind? All i'm seeing is overarching statements of two games in japanese and one thats not had any information released since last year.

This is the FF fanbase. Did you really expect anything more?
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger

User Info: Diogo_Skyfusion

Diogo_Skyfusion
6 years ago#30
ShinGundam posted...

I'm not sure who was responsible for FFXII's dungeons, but even as "bland" as they are, at least they don't insult your intelligence like FFXIII's "dungeons".

Ito fixed the License Board in the international release to great sucess, FFXII's encounter system is great and I never saw anyone bashing it before, and the lack of vision was a direct result from Matsuno (the main director of FFXII) leaving the project at the middle of development.

Ito was the man who created the legendary ATB system used in most of the FF games, and he even wanted to make FFIX's ATB more fast-paced than previous entries (much like how FFX-2 later did, I suppose), but Sakaguchi decided it should be slow-paced instead.

Ito was the man behind the job system from FFV and FFT, arguable some of the most successful character costumization systems in the franchise. He was also behind stuff like the FFVI's Esper system, FFVIII's Junction system, and FFVIII's Triple Triad (the first sketch).

There's your boring-ass, average game designer. The man's not perfect and has made several mistakes as well, but a good portion of the entire franchise's gameplay charm/ soul were thanks to him.
http://diogo-als.blogspot.com/
^^ My blog (em Portugues)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived