• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
7 years ago#131
XII had only one problem in terms of mechanics, that being the games inability to render more then 1 spell at at time.
This was fixed in the International edition, to an extend at least.
See, with the speed up function you could select the "wait" option for the battle system without losing time giving you the option to actually have mages in your party and not get hammered with attacks while they wait their turn to cast spells.

Now if only Vaan wasn't shoehorned in XII could have been the best title in the series.

Ive only played the International release, which was outstanding.
Favorite Show- Cosmos. Carl Sagan is AWESOME.
Best Game OF All Time: Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together. MGO-Joyless

User Info: mrklarryd

mrklarryd
7 years ago#132
yrrab436 posted...
ChipNoir posted...
Then get rid of the WRPG fans. They're useless anyways. Buncha ingrates. Seriously. Its their fault JRPGs look bad. Buncha new-gen twerps suddenly old enough to use their parents credit cards.

...what?

Personally I'm a RPG fan in general. I don't get the whole WRPG JRPG thing (something like Mass Effect is as different from something like the Elder Scrolls games just as much as Final Fantasy games are). And to be perfectly honest, to me Mass Effect 2 feels more like the old Final Fantasies story/pacing wise than FFXIII did. I'm not saying that in a good or bad way. I love both games. It just got that feeling out of it. Doing quests for each character felt very much like Final Fantasy VI to me.

Bang on. I got the same feeling from ME2.

User Info: DullahanEX

DullahanEX
7 years ago#133
Holy crap! so misinformation, assumptions and bias. Christ! No wonder this board is such hole.

1.) Let's get this out of way. Toriyama did not design FFXIII's battle system (or any preivous BS). Nobody here knows his or anybody design philosophies at Square so don't pretend you do. Futhermore "graphics over gameplay" is not a game design philosophy nor make any sense. Game development does not work that way!
2.) FFX-2 itself had more gameplay and a better battle system than any FF before and after it which was directed Toriyama.
3.) There's nothing wrong FFXIII's BS, and certainly has better focus and mechanics than FFXII water-down FFXI like-one.
Currently Playing: FF Type-0 (JPN)

ManaYuka
7 years ago#134
Bang on. I got the same feeling from ME2.

I wanted to say that too. Its weird, and prbably why I love Mass Effect so much. it feels much more like a classic FF game rather than a game like elder scrolls or diablo, which I dont like and dont play.

Guess I never just thought about it much....

User Info: W_Mark_Felt_Sr

W_Mark_Felt_Sr
7 years ago#135
Vaan wasn't shoehorned in XII. He was in the game right from the start of game development (although he was a healer named Aqua at first).
http://tinyurl.com/6ak2wg8
^Almost all non-translated FF Ultimania interviews ever. Tons of exclusive info. Please help translate them.

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
7 years ago#136
Round_Dice posted...
Now if only Vaan wasn't shoehorned in XII could have been the best title in the series.
I don't see how a POV avatar made the game any worse. The main characters are still Ashe and Baltheir as confirmed by the scenario writers of the game. The story and delivery of FFXII is Oscar worthy.
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex

ManaYuka
7 years ago#137
Vaan wasn't shoehorned in XII. He was in the game right from the start (although he was a healer named Aqua).

Where do you read this stuff? I'm not being an ass I just want to know....I never heard of that at all.

User Info: DullahanEX

DullahanEX
7 years ago#138
W_Mark_Felt_Sr posted...
Vaan wasn't shoehorned in XII. He was in the game right from the start of game development (although he was a healer named Aqua at first).

Correct, but I don't remember him being called Aqua.
Currently Playing: FF Type-0 (JPN)

ManaYuka
7 years ago#139
Aqua sounds like a Nomura name to me

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
7 years ago#140
DullahanEX posted...
1.) Let's get this out of way. Toriyama did not design FFXIII's battle system (or any preivous BS). Nobody here knows his or anybody design philosophies at Square so don't pretend you do. Futhermore "graphics over gameplay" is not a game design philosophy nor make any sense. Game development does not work that way!
2.) FFX-2 itself had more gameplay and a better battle system than any FF before and after it which was directed Toriyama.
3.) There's nothing wrong FFXIII's BS, and certainly has better focus and mechanics than FFXII water-down FFXI like-one.

1) Kitase/Toriyama wanted the battles to look like Advent Children and told the battle director to make a battle system that filled that goal. Kitase/Toriyama also wanted to make the battle system have a lot of flashy visual effects and so asked Shintaro Takai to create epic special effects that filled that goal. Basically, Kitase/Toriyama role in the game was battle system supervisor.

2) FFX-2 was a train wreck in battle system design. It wasn't well tuned at all. Certain jobs were broken more than broken characters in some fighting game.

3) FFXII battle system murders FFXI battle system. The fact FFXII battle system is working without a hard drive and with no frame rate drops just shows how bad the programming of the FFXI battle system is. The battle system designer of FFXI has stated that the FFXI battle system can't run without a hard drive. Yet FFXII got a superior one running without one.
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.
  • Topic Archived