• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
7 years ago#1
Kitase/Toriyama are no longer capable to keep up with the modern gaming market as both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 prove. They just can't produce AAA game design this gen. Worse still, their glory days of directing games like FFVII (Kitase) and FFX (Toriyama) are long gone.

Hiroyuki Ito is still going strong and has an excellent track record of game design: FFVI, FFT, FFIX and FFXII. At a time when Western critics are saying the game design of JRPGs need to evolve, this is the guy that can save JRPGs. Nobody else is capable at SQEX. Even Versus XIII by Nomura looks like a typical Hack & Slash with no strategy when compared to the critically acclaimed Demon Souls. A deep and Oscar worthy story can only go so far and this gen has shown that Graphics and Game Design are far more idolized than Story by mainstream Western gamers.

Funny thing is, FFXII was totally designed by Hiroyuki Ito with this logic. He put more effort into the gameplay than the story. That's why the world was so big and there was so much gameplay content. If FFXII was a PS3 and 360 launch title, the JRPG genre would not be in the crisis it is in now. FFXII evolved JRPGs but was released on the wrong console. Trust SQEX to make a crap decision and place a game of that calibre and importance on a dying platform.

They need to get Hiroyuki Ito on FFXV if he isn't on it already. Leave Kitase/Toriyama to keep playing with their FFXIII trilogy and terrible game design.
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex

User Info: Doppelswagger

Doppelswagger
7 years ago#2
You haven't seen more than 6 minutes of gameplay to determine what Versus is gonna be like. Hack and Slash=/= Brainless and Easy. Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, GoW challenge that notion, easily.
Serah is the sole reason I'm not buying XIII-2.
Official Adult-Hope of the FFXIII Boards

User Info: JudgeNoah

JudgeNoah
7 years ago#3
i feel sorry for him being surrounded by talentless hacks like Toriyama and Nomura
DO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE DAT CHOCOBO!!!!!

User Info: mr369248

mr369248
7 years ago#4
Honestly, I'd like to play the international version. They just gotta get rid of those empty fields and allow anywhere saves because having to go all the way back to a save spot is just irritating.

User Info: Ren_eko

Ren_eko
7 years ago#5

Even Versus XIII by Nomura looks like a typical Hack & Slash with no strategy when compared to the critically acclaimed Demon Souls

Do people who say this actually played Demon's Souls? DS isn't deep and strategic, it's mainly a reflex game, not that different from typical action games except for the heightened difficulty, it's fun as hell and I'll be starting my 2nd character(1st is Soul Level 465) with a Black Phantom character to get the Rogue trophy(Ring collecting run) and finally plat the thing, but it's not really that strategic a game, a feel people these days just namedrop DS without knowing that much about it.
DmC: http://i.imgur.com/e97Ky.jpg
New Dante: http://i.imgur.com/uhiBK.jpg

User Info: Lelouch71

Lelouch71
7 years ago#6
FFXII...

The game that could had surpass FFT in terms of story, but failed to do so due to Matsuno leaving half way through production. FFXII will always be known as the game that disappointed me. Not because it wasn't a good game. It's mostly because it was the only main FF that had potential to rival FFT in the story department. To me FFXII is a half-ass game. And yes I hold FFT in high esteem along side Xenogears, Persona 2, and Radiant Historia as the pinnacle of story telling as far as jrpgs are concern.
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."

User Info: Galvanization

Galvanization
7 years ago#7
Doppelswagger posted...
You haven't seen more than 6 minutes of gameplay to determine what Versus is gonna be like. Hack and Slash=/= Brainless and Easy. Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, GoW challenge that notion, easily.

It's the Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children team making it. The video shown in January 2011 clearly shows what the gameplay will be like: Hack & Slash. No shields, no armour, no ability to targeting different parts of the enemies body like Vagrant Story. There's no strategy. Demon Souls murders Versus XIII in battle system design.

KHII was the same and so was Advent Children. Both value visual coolness over strategy. Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta director) values game design over coolness and so when he develops an idea for a game he makes the moves in the final game look cool. That's totally different to Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura has openly said that Versus XIII is aiming to produce the battles of Advent Children. Nothing about game design and making that game design first then the visual coolness following after. It's all style before gameplay depth with Nomura. The exact same logic is used by Kitase/Toriama and look how the game design in FFXIII turned out.

Hiroyuki Ito uses the same logic as Hideki Kamiya. The concept of FFXII was the game design first and that was to make it so you fight enemies on the field. He then made the animation of the characters look different for each weapon they're holding. Game design took priority over visual style.

Don't compare Nomura's backwards thinking to the great director of Bayonetta or Hiroyuki Ito.
"JRPGs are not mainly about story. That's just a trend FF started. Look at the huge sales of Pokemon. Do people buy it for the story? Hell no! " ~ Vex

User Info: Mindwipe77

Mindwipe77
7 years ago#8
JudgeNoah posted...
i feel sorry for him being surrounded by talentless hacks like Toriyama and Nomura

you mean those same talentless hacks that make more then you?
Now Playing-Skyrim(360) King of Fighters 13(360)
Buying next- Final Fantasy 13-2 CE( PS3)Kingdom of Amalur SE(360)

User Info: Some_Static

Some_Static
7 years ago#9
Mindwipe77 posted...
JudgeNoah posted...

you mean those same talentless hacks that make more then you?

"they make more money than you, ergo, they are better than you"
The Final Fantasy 13-2 Board: Catastrophe keeps us together.
Now playing: Folklore, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VIII

User Info: Ren_eko

Ren_eko
7 years ago#10

It's the Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children team making it. The video shown in January 2011 clearly shows what the gameplay will be like: Hack & Slash. No shields, no armour, no ability to targeting different parts of the enemies body like Vagrant Story. There's no strategy. Demon Souls murders Versus XIII in battle system design.

Wrong.

Noctis can use his weapons as shields, there's a teleporting mechanic that allows you to teleport to places where you threw your sword and there's dodging, environment damage will be present and there is an ability to target different parts of enemies, especially with Prompto who fights using only guns and has a TPS aiming style, his main feature is just that, being able to manually aim at weakspots, how can you say there's no strategy when you haven't played it?

Again with the DS battle design, it's not some 2Deep4U strategic game, it's hard and it's fun, not some highly strategic action game.
DmC: http://i.imgur.com/e97Ky.jpg
New Dante: http://i.imgur.com/uhiBK.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII-2
  3. Hiroyuki Ito is the only competent director left at SQEX.
  • Topic Archived