• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
  3. Review (based off of demo) (SPOILS)

User Info: Freakmasta2001

Freakmasta2001
7 years ago#1
I dunno, at first, I didn't like the game being almost a dating-sim. And the game starts off the VERY beginning with Naomi & Seiko. And there's A LOT of talking so for those importers out there, get ready to push the skip button A LOT. It only gets a little better when you get transported to the elementary school but only because the story starts to progress. Also, if you haven't played the 1st game (Corpse Party Blood Covered), then you'll be VERY confused since they skip over some of the key elements. On top of that, the story is based off the bad ending in the 1st one, where Satoshi (the main chara) goes back to the time when they (his friends) are about to start the ritual, only difference is that he knows what's going to happen. On top of that, you have certain situations where you can repeat whatever happened in the 1st game, or alter it to have a different outcome. so as said, the player needs to be familiar with the 1st story in order to fully enjoy the 2nd one.

The controls are pretty simple. Triangle is to bring up the menu (save, load, items, options, sanity meter, etc.), O is select, L is the map to guide yourself, SELECT is to autoplay the text, and START is to FF the text. The guiding is difficult though. If you have no clue where to go, you are basically stuck. So you really have to look at your surroundings. I don't mind the FPview since it increases the scare factor compared to the 16-bit style. But guiding yourself with it may seem like a hassle since you cannot move. You can only travel in sections.

I reserved this game, but after playing it, I'm thinking of cancelling it. I mean, it took awhile for me to get drawn into the game.
http://freakmasta.deviantart.com/
Check it out!

User Info: Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad
7 years ago#2
I had similar reservations, but after playing through to the end of the demo, I actually REALLY like it. The gameplay grew on me, and I find it equally as engaging as the first title's now -- and the story's Higurashi Kai-like approach to the events that transpired in Tenjin Elementary is just really cool. I found the story scenes a bit long, but because I'm already attached to the characters, reading through all the dialogue never felt tedious -- and I'm really intrigued to see where the story's going to go from here, and if I'll be able to "set things right" between Naomi and Seiko.

Seems like an awesome sequel to me. I'm more interested in getting my copy than ever. (:

Freakmasta2001
7 years ago#3
I don't want to hate the game. I just think that since I'm importing, it's just a lot of money for me to be disappointed. Once I see a used copy or even at a sale price, I'll definitely pick it up.
Check it out!

Wyrdwad
7 years ago#4
The whole point of the game is the story and character interactions, though -- much like the first -- and it seems to be just as strong in those regards as ever. Though... can you read Japanese? If not, then I can *totally* see where you're coming from, as Book of Shadows absolutely DEMANDS Japanese fluency to be enjoyed.

Freakmasta2001
7 years ago#5
yeah, I can read Japanese. It's just, IMO, the dialogue is TOO slow. Only time I was dragged in was during the school part. I didn't care too much about the background of Naomi & Seiko since I got the gist of it in the 1st one. I know that the writer is trying to flesh out the charas but I think they could've managed it better.
Check it out!

Wyrdwad
7 years ago#6
I guess I can't disagree... but since Seiko is my favorite character, I actually found that intro scene to be really enjoyable.

Fanservicey, of course... but I'm a sucker for good fanservice. ;)
  1. Boards
  2. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
  3. Review (based off of demo) (SPOILS)
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Rated M for Sexual Content.balamana33/6 5:01PM