• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Should i pick up SSE or SAE?
I haven't played Skyrim since around the time of its original 360 release and i'm thinking to pick it up again on PC. I was originally going to grabbed the Anniversary Edition but noticed a lot of complaints about it so that made me think maybe i'll just go for the Special Edition. Would i be missing out on anything not picking up the AE? I've never touched any of the mods personally so i'd basically be starting fresh.

Thanks in Advance
I want to swim away but don't know how.
Sometimes it feels just like I'm falling in the ocean.
ShippouX411X 1 month ago#2
Regulus_Aurion posted...
I haven't played Skyrim since around the time of its original 360 release and i'm thinking to pick it up again on PC. I was originally going to grabbed the Anniversary Edition but noticed a lot of complaints about it so that made me think maybe i'll just go for the Special Edition. Would i be missing out on anything not picking up the AE? I've never touched any of the mods personally so i'd basically be starting fresh.

Thanks in Advance

Just get the anniversary edition. Makes it so much more fun all the creation club mods and whatnot really breathe fresh air into the game.

Xbox Live GT:ShippouX411X
PSN ID:Shippou09
LordAlistair 1 month ago#3
Honestly this isn't really a great time to get back into Skyrim. We're in a transition period between versions.

If you really want to play it now, I'd recommend getting SE and using the downgrade patcher to go back to 1.5.97., and maybe pick up AE in a year or two once all the modders have moved over. AE content is minimal compared to what you can get with mods and right now there's a lot more mods for SE than AE.
myztikrice 1 month ago#4
There are no 'versions' to get. The Anniversary Edition is just an update. If you get SSE, your Steam will automatically update to the AE
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."
ValiantKnight 1 month ago#5
Lots of different opinions here.

1. Special Edition and Anniversary Edition are two totally different versions. If you have Special Edition there is a $20 upgrade to Anniversary Edition. Not sure what the person above me is talking about with them being the same. There are three options on the steam store. AE - $49.99, SE - $13.19(67% off), and AE upgrade - $19.99
  2. If you like mods, Special Edition is your friend. Personally I've never given much care for mods, so I would swing Anniversary Edition.
As with how Skyrim has pretty much always been.... you can get a lot of content with mods, so it is your choice to use them. Just realize it will take modders time to convert or update their mods to work with AE. Some may never update. You'll have to decide whether all the mods for SE are worth it compared to the creation club and new content for AE that is built in. Do you want farming, fishing, and the other features of AE, or do you want the modding in SE?
thronedfire2 1 month ago#6
Myz was talking about how SE owners got the update automatically I think, but someone just getting the game would be able to pick
I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...
ValiantKnight 1 month ago#7
thronedfire2 posted...
Myz was talking about how SE owners got the update automatically I think, but someone just getting the game would be able to pick

Was not trying to be upset or anything with myz. Just saying I am an SE owner and I didn't get it automatically. Still have the option to buy it for $20.00. They are two separate things. SE owners got an update with rare curios, saints and seducers, fishing, and survival mode.
If you want farming and the rest of Creation Club content, you have to buy Anniversary. SE owners don't get that.
Game_FAQer443 1 month ago#8
Someone already brought up how we are in a transition period right now because the Anniversary patch just dropped.. If you are not looking to play with any mods then go ahead and load up the anniversary patch. If you wish to play with any mods then download the backup patcher (reverts back to Skyrim SE before the Anniversary patch) and all mods on nexus and elsewhere will work as intended.

Anniversary Edition is actually a patch that adds Creation Club content rather than being a separate game. Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition are separate games. Anniversary Edition is the latest patch of Special Edition.

Anniversary Edition patch WILL BREAK all your mods but it does offer some cool new content, but it is mostly content from mods found on the Nexus so...
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Game_FAQer443 1 month ago#9
Here is a link to the downgrade patcher that I and other posters have referenced.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=files

I used the Patcher.exe to downgrade all of Skyrim SE and DLCs back to the patch before the Anniversary Edition patch and it fixed all my mods. I will probably continue to use this for months as it will take awhile for mod authors to transition over to the Anniversary Edition patch - if ever.
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Storm Shadow 1 month ago#10
Ah, crud.

If the mods are borked because of the "upgrade" patch Bethesda did, this would explain why I'm getting the blackface bug on a lot of my NPCs and why such mods as Babes of Skyrim don't seem to have any effect at all. I had everything working with Oldrim on my previous computer, but now I've decided to try out SE and it's just been one headache after another trying to get the mods to work correctly.
If you treat people as equals, they start to think they ARE your equals.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Should i pick up SSE or SAE?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A