• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. This "Battle for Whiterun" bug is making me pull my hair out.
kelemvor 3 months ago#1
I have the anniversary edition that I just bought a few months ago. I'm only using a couple mods. The unofficial bug fix and the improved inventory interface mods.

How has this NOT BEEN FIXED in 10 years???? It's apparently a super common bug that no one has a complete answer on how to fix.

After seiging Whiterun and winning, Jarl Balgruuf surrenders and then goes upstairs saying he's going to "collect his things" basically. But when he comes back down he sits on the throne like he's still in charge.

When you leave Whiterun, the battle "music" still plays everywhere you go. Whiterun disappears from the map so you can't fast travel there. Rolff, your Stormcloak pal, is still stuck at the Whiterun Stormcloak camp, and won't move.

I tried all the common fixes, but nothing works, so I'm thinking about reloading a save and just ignoring the whole quest line involving the civil war.
bshwalker 3 months ago#2
Anniversary Edition releases on 11/11/21.
Its not out yet.
Do you mean Special Edition?
kelemvor 2 months ago#3
bshwalker posted...
Anniversary Edition releases on 11/11/21.
Its not out yet.
Do you mean Special Edition?

Oh yeah, special edition. I just bought it a few weeks ago when it was on sale leading up to the anniversary.

There is a Q&A section here on Gamefaqs about this very bug, and the answer is that you're screwed. It lists a few things that *might* work, but also says you can just play normally and give up with the Stormcloak questline.

My problem with this is that once you trigger the bug the music is stuck on the battle theme forever. Even after traveling far away, saving and reloading, etc...

I finally figured out what was triggering the bug in my case, and I reloaded a save before the battle for Whiterun and managed to get through the quest. I think the bug triggers when you accidentally hit someone on your side during the battle. It puts a bounty on your head that you can never pay and it screws something up when the town flips over to Stormcloak control. I had already reloaded before the battle 3 times and I triggered the bug in each instance since I like using shouts and close melee combat. This time I reloaded and carefully singled out individual Whiterun guards, while letting my fellow Stormcloaks do most of the fighting.

After the battle, I was careful to let all the scripted conversations take place fully, then I walked towards Windhelm without fast traveling until Whiterun showed up on the map again. I reported to Ulfric and I finally was able to complete the quest.

I can finally continue on with my adventure. I'm extremely annoyed this bug still exists so many years later. I'm only using 2 mods, the SkyUI 5.2 inventory mod and the "unofficial skyrim speical edition" patch.
(edited 2 months ago)
CommanderAngel1 2 months ago#4
I've experienced a similar bug, regardless of an Imperial or Stormcloak run.

I've found the only real "solution" is to have a backup save prior to delivering the Jagged Crown, and ANOTHER backup save before starting the "final battle".
After that, it's basically taking a backseat and letting the other troops do the fighting so you don't accidentally incur any bounties.

It's not perfect, but it's the least broken approach that's worked the most.
Fierce_Deity_08 2 months ago#5
I had a bug with trying to buy the house in Solitude. It went away after I disabled the unofficial bug fix, which I was using for an alternate start mod that would not run without it.
Official Fierce Deity in my own mind.
GT: OnikaraStar, PSN: Onikara, NNID: OnikaraStar
Sir Cyrus 1 month ago#6
I'm also experiencing this bug. Haven't found a fix yet.
Sigless for now.
ValiantKnight 1 month ago#7
It is Bethesda... always have at least three backup save files. That's the only solution I have found.
Sir Cyrus 2 weeks ago#8
Had to revert to an old save. Tried the battle again; same bug. This time, I managed to fix it by doing the following (not sure which parts allowed me to fix it):
A: making sure my quest log was clean in terms of Whiterun quests
B: after the battle, running back to Ulfric on foot allowed me to continue the quest, yet battle music didn't stop, nor was I able to quicktravel to Whiterun.
C: quicktravel to Pelagia Farm and then walking to the Stormcloak camp appeared to fix it. Ralof was there, and he looked like he was still in combat. When he saw me, he kind of seemed to reset, and he started walking around casually. Combat music stopped; the quicktravel icons were back on the map.
Sigless for now.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. This "Battle for Whiterun" bug is making me pull my hair out.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A