• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Winterhold Is The Tower!

User Info: Violet_Runner

Violet_Runner
3 months ago#1
You guys we’ve been going about this all wrong. Snow Throat isn’t The Throat of The World. It’s the College of Winterhold/Winterhold itself!

Alduin’s wall says “When the Snow Tower lies sundered, kingless, bleeding.”

Winterhold is said to be the oldest Capital of Skyrim. Alduin’s wall is referring to skyrim’s capital which was at one point Winterhold.

Prior to the events of Skyrim Winterhold under went an event known as The Great Collapse that saw the majority of the city fall into the sea. This fits it being “sundered” and how Snow Tower’s peak being described as being only half there.

The towers are supposed to have been built by the different Elven races to regain their immortality in different ways, so what if the College of Winterhold (it the ruins it sits on) was built by the Snow Elves as their Tower.

That would explain the seeming lack of Elven architecture in Skyrim. There is Elven architecture we just didn’t realize it. It also explains why you can find circles with the college’s symbol dotted throughout Skyrim.

https://m.imgur.com/Mts0NlP?r

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
3 months ago#2
The Eye of Magnus. *nodnodnod*
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!

User Info: Prince_Hircine

Prince_Hircine
3 weeks ago#3
Red Mountain is also one of the towers, and that isn't a construct.
(I know it has the Dwemer ruins there, but the verse is clearly referring to the Mountain itself).

Throat of the World is to an extent, Skyrim's mascot. It's the essence of Skyrim. And Skyrim itself is Kingless (literally) and bleeding (figuratively, her people are bleeding through war and turmoil etc).

TotW is the Tower :)
Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-
What is it that makes a hunter great?
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Violet_Runner
3 weeks ago#4
The difference between Red Mountain and the Throat of the World is that Red Mountain became a tower with its creation (the heart of Shor being shot from Adamantine Tower and landing in Morrowind). The Red Mountain and Adamantine Tower are the only Towers stated in canon to be built by the gods. All the others were made by elves to mirror the original two in order to regain their lost immortality.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Prince_Hircine
3 weeks ago#5
From UESP:

"Snow Throat, or the Snow Tower, is represented in the Throat of the World. Its apex is said to be only "half here". Its Stone is thought to be a cave."

It's literally called Snow Throat 😂
And it states also that the towers and their stones can be of natural or manufactured origin.
I like your theory, but I disagree with it.

Winterhold is already in ruin, but it does have its own ruler. Jarls are like Kings, with the High King being... Well... You might say a "King of Kings".
So it's not Kingless, and nobody really views Winterhold itself as being the embodiment, shall we say, of Skyrim. Even if it was previously the capital.

Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-

Violet_Runner
3 weeks ago#6
You do know that the U in UESP stands for Unofficial. There’s actually nothing lore wise that connects the Throat of the World to Snow Tower people just speculate that it is because it’s the tallest thing in Skyrim. So because it’s the most widely accepted theory it’s written down on UESP as Snow Tower but until it’s been confirmed by Bethesda it’s still just speculation.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Overlord_Meril

Overlord_Meril
3 weeks ago#7
Be that as it may, they use the term Snow Throat. The Throat of the World... They're not trying very hard to disconnect the two, are they?

And Skyrim itself has no King. Winterhold, as mentioned previously does have it's rightful ruler. If you want to apply that logic to a city, then Solitude is the one that has no official King.

Yeah, I'm not buying it.

Prince_Hircine
3 weeks ago#8
Violet_Runner posted...
You do know that the U in UESP stands for Unofficial. There’s actually nothing lore wise that connects the Throat of the World to Snow Tower people just speculate that it is because it’s the tallest thing in Skyrim. So because it’s the most widely accepted theory it’s written down on UESP as Snow Tower but until it’s been confirmed by Bethesda it’s still just speculation.
That is true, but it's also widely regarded as the most accurate source of Elder Scrolls information. It's not like the standard Wiki which is riddled with errors and so forth.
I'm inclined to trust UESP.

Violet_Runner
3 weeks ago#9
Actually Overlord_Meril, outside of UESP I can’t find one reference to Snow Tower being called Snow Throat in lore.

User Info: solid_farley

solid_farley
2 weeks ago#10
Prince_Hircine posted...
That is true, but it's also widely regarded as the most accurate source of Elder Scrolls information. It's not like the standard Wiki which is riddled with errors and so forth.
I'm inclined to trust UESP.

UESP being regarded as an accurate source does not mean that the information there is correct without citation from the developers.

On more than one occasion pages there have been corrected once a new ES title comes out and provides new lore.

I think OP is definitely onto something, and it makes far more sense than a simple mountain being what is referenced.
GT: VulneraryCord9
Steam: Lord_Fartlee
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Winterhold Is The Tower!
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers