• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Any way to remove all mods?

User Info: TheSchref

TheSchref
7 years ago#1
I don't want to reinstall. My internet connection sucks and I don't feel like having to reinstall the game for a day and a half. I thought I made a backup before mods, but apparently I never did.

Thanks

User Info: cjnoone

cjnoone
7 years ago#2
If you got them on Steam Workshop, go back to it and click "Unsubscribe" for each mod.

Then go to your Data folder in your Skyrim folder and delete all the ESPs.

That'll take care of most of them.
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.

User Info: arleas

arleas
7 years ago#3
You can uncheck all the boxes (under "data files") and keep them from loading when you start up the game, though that will make your save files (if you have any) buggy and potentially unusable. If you installed mods that made more serious changes to the game, then you may need to consult the readme that came with the thing.

If you're using something like Nexus Mod Manager, it should handle the removal of the mods (shouldn't it? I barely use it).
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1746696962.png

User Info: AshyRaccoon

AshyRaccoon
7 years ago#4
I believe if you delete everything in the Skyrim\data\ folder except for the all the "Skyrim - (something).bsa" files, Skyrim.esm, and the directories Interface, Strings, Video, it should be.. close.
Depending on what mods you've used, you might have some extra things in Interface, or extra/replaced files in Strings.
You could try deleting Interface and Strings, too, then have Steam verify the integrity of the game cache. The bulk of the download is all of the Skyrim esm and bsa files, of course.

User Info: blowseph

blowseph
7 years ago#5
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61992850

To reset the game to default (remove all mods) delete everything in the data folder EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING FILES:
LOOSE FILES
Skyrim.esm
Update.bsa
Update.esm
Skyrim - Textures.bsa
Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Skyrim - Shaders.bsa
Skyrim - Misc.bsa
Skyrim - Meshes.bsa
Skyrim - Interface.bsa
Skyrim - Animations.bsa
Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
Skyrim - Voices.bsa
Skyrim - Textures.bsa
Skyrim - Textures.bsa
HighResTexturePack01.bsa
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.bsa
HighResTexturePack02.esp
VIDEO (folder)
BGS_Logo.bik
INTERFACE (folder)
Translate_ENGLISH.txt
STRINGS (folder)
Update_English.STRINGS
Update_English.ILSTRINGS
Update_English.DLSTRINGS
Skyrim_English.STRINGS
Skyrim_English.ILSTRINGS
Skyrim_English.DLSTRINGS

Note that if you installed the game in a language other than English, all the files with "English" in their file name will have a different language named.

And as a precaution after doing this, it's a good idea to use Steam to verify the file integrity in case you may have deleted something that was supposed to stay. Open steam, right click on Skyrim, select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. If there's a file missing, it will download it.
http://i41.tinypic.com/rsvioo.jpg

User Info: Alpr1010

Alpr1010
7 years ago#6

A good thing to do is copy the entire skyrim folder to your desktop or something and if you want all mods gone, switch out the folders and delete the one with mods. Ta da.

Manually/Steam Workshop - Gotta do it yourself

Nexus Mod Manager - Does for you.

User Info: valium88

valium88
7 years ago#7

Alpr1010 posted...

A good thing to do is copy the entire skyrim folder to your desktop or something and if you want all mods gone, switch out the folders and delete the one with mods. Ta da.

Manually/Steam Workshop - Gotta do it yourself

Nexus Mod Manager - Does for you.

Copying the vanilla folder is a seriously great tip, why the hell didn't I think of that lol

User Info: kazn_

kazn_
7 years ago#8
Nexus Mod Manager.

Oh wait.

User Info: TheSchref

TheSchref
7 years ago#9
Thanks everyone.

User Info: alhvatr

alhvatr
7 years ago#10
this topic reminded me i had a question. what does the update.esm do and should it be checked? i don't remember mine ever being checked.
"Four Gods sit on the windowsill, where eight gods once did war and will. And if the gods themselves may die, what does that say for you and I?"
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Any way to remove all mods?
  • Topic Archived