• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Commander Caius just dissapeared after theives guild quest... is he important?
krazyninjaman3 2 months ago#1
Can I still finish the main quest, or does he play a role somewhere? (currently at horn of windfall quest and have not completed it yet).

Also, can I still do imperial questline vs the stormcloaks (I am going to join imperials).

And lastly, is there any work around other than reloading a save file if he is super important?

Thanks for any helps.
(edited 2 months ago)
Sage5 2 months ago#2
You're probably going to have problems with the Civil War questline, especially if you're siding with the Empire.
He's supposed to be Essential always (i.e.: can't be killed by nobody) so nothing good can come out of his disappearance, since the game is not prepared for his "death".

No, sadly you can only reload before his disappearance and hope that it doesn't happen again.
krazyninjaman3 2 months ago#3
First off thank you for answering, it is appreciated :)

What i need to know is if it is for certain that I will need him for main story or imperial questline and when exactly.

The Fandom page doesn't mention anything on it really, it seems like after the thieves guild quest it doesn't matter what happens to him, but I think he might play a part in the main questline if you side with the blades (which im not going to)... but not really sure.

If someone can confirm when and where he becomes important, that would be great.

Managed to dodge a few game breaking glitches in my 600hr playthrough so far lol, let's see if I can get past this one.
c_s_tadsen 2 months ago#4
His only really significant role is the Thieves' Guild quest you already did. He's more like an accessory to important people in the Civil War than being all that important himself; the Jarl is the one you need to deal with, regardless of which side you take in the battle, so you should be able to skate around potential issues. Just be sure (though if you have 600 hours into Skyrim, you HAVE to know already) to make plenty of separate saves as you go, so you always have a good save point to fall back on.

Side note: Fandom is... well, TBH, Fandom is kinda crap. If you need info, you're almost always better of if you use UESP; they have just about any info you might need, and don't have 75% of every page covered with ads and links to unrelated garbage.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"
(edited 2 months ago)
krazyninjaman3 2 months ago#5
Thanks again; playing on console without being able to type in command codes for this game is a really shaky thing to do.

I have been doing a "100%" Nord playthrough and haven't missed anything up until now. I have an insane list of unique items in one of my manors.

Everything from Woodcutter's Friend, to unique Black Hooded Robes; haven't really missed anything.

I have dodged so many glitches and I will say Fandom was very helpful. Every time I hit a new quest or dungeon; do my research first, see what's there, what will be available later if I wait, and what bugs can I run into. Some great YouTube channels too have been super helpful.

Commander Caius might be one that slipped through the cracks with his dissaprearance, but we will see.
(edited 2 months ago)
DuneMan 2 months ago#6
Caius sort of appears randomly all over Whiterun, from the chair on top of the guard barracks near the gate to the Dragonsreach Dungeon. If he has seemingly disappeared one option is to stay far away from Whiterun for 30 days. This causes the cell to reset, bringing back picked plants and potentially spawning Caius in one of his usual spots.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
krazyninjaman3 1 month ago#7
So no Whiterun for 30 days? I'll try that one. I dont think it will really work though because cells don't repopulate if something despawns (like the dead assassin in hags end).

Still worth a try though.
Olld-Onne 1 month ago#8
krazyninjaman3 posted...
So no Whiterun for 30 days? I'll try that one. I dont think it will really work though because cells don't repopulate if something despawns (like the dead assassin in hags end).

Still worth a try though.
Bodies despawning have nothing to do with whether a dungeon cell resets or not. The body is either permanent or not. The dungeon either respawns or not. They do not have any thing to do with each other spawning or not respawning though.

What will stop a cell respawning is going there before it has timed to respawn which is why you will likely have to wait 30 days out of Whiterun to reset it completely to get Caius back as that the longest reset timer available. There is a wait function you can abuse even if it's way to slow to be frank at a day at a time nonsense.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
(edited 1 month ago)
krazyninjaman3 5 days ago#9
He has disappeared from my game forever, but the good news is I never needd him. I was able to finish all the main quests of the game, including the Civil War questline without him.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Commander Caius just dissapeared after theives guild quest... is he important?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A