You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Best way to complete for beginners

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 month ago#11
My system can handle the scripts fine; I swapped the drive out for an SSD last year, no worries there. Save file bloat is a problem not so easily resolved, though. The sheer quantity of data Skyrim tacks on to your save file is ridiculous. No matter how good your hardware, if the save file gets too big it will bog the game down. (Well, on PS3 at least; PC doesn't have the same problems.)

Bethesda really needs to fix that before they release another open-world game... I think it's the core game engine that's the real problem; Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas both have the exact same problem, and they were built off the same basic game engine.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#12
Removing NPC's removes the scripts for them and frees up space as the game no longer has to track them and there whereabouts. That said annihilating the populace to get better performance is probably contradictory to most character builds so there is that.

The scripts are one of the major things that bog down the game. More so than items acquired in comparison as you cannot store the scripts in a chest. The character that killed them all also hoarded items in a massive pile outside of the chests on a floor because very few shop keepers left to sell them to lol. Removing the NPC''s does improve performance at the cost of ghost townism of course.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
Olld-Onne posted...
redtide1962 posted...
can someone tell me who, exactly, is at risk of dying who is "important"

i think people exaggerate this claim

It is a bit over blown at times.

Agreed.

c_s_tadsen
1 month ago#14
Olld-Onne posted...
The scripts are one of the major things that bog down the game. More so than items acquired in comparison as you cannot store the scripts in a chest.

Storing things in a chest does nothing to reduce save file bloat, which is what I was talking about. Storing items might reduce your moment-to-moment lag as you play because you don't have a large personal inventory in active memory, but it just makes things MUCH worse in the long run. I ran an experimental character to test concepts along these lines a year or two ago. Using a tweeked Carry Weight (resto potion loop glitch to make a buff enchanting potion of stupid-high levels), I set out to 100% loot every location I entered, with the idea being to test whether or not item presence in a location reduced save size. I also tested storing the loot, selling the loot, and deleting the loot via despawing corpses. (Unrelated note: I also, as I mentioned elsewhere on the board, dumped some 3,500 jewels, soul gems, and soul gem shards on the ground one at a time, then fuus ro dah'ed them into a glittery rain... it was pretty, but took over five hours to set up, lol.)

I came to the conclusion that, aside from weapons dropped by dead enemies, the only way to truly reduce item-caused save bloat is to never enter an area at all. Once you've discovered a location, your save files note not only what you've picked up, but the lack of that item in its original location. For example, if you pick up a tankard in The Bannered Mare in Whiterun the game has to remember that the tankard (A) IS in your inventory, and (B) is NOT in The Bannered Mare. No matter what changes in regards to (A), the game will still store (B) in your save file. This means that even if you stuff every item into a corpse that will despawn and remove said items from the game, the very fact that the item is no longer in the original location is still going to be saved to your file... Making your save file grow. (As far as I can tell, the game does this so it knows what to respawn in a given location to prevent endless spawns of items piling up- kind of like the buttterfly glitch in the beta version.)

This is why I keep saying, across multiple games and platforms, that Bethesda needs to find a better way to handle this. It's a problem in Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 4 (although the PS4 handles it better than the PS3 does, by a notable margin.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#15
That is not entirely true, it has been shown that dumping items stored and removing them by despawning them actually reduces the save file size. It is the amount of items you have not just where you got them from and as nearly all items respawn this is where the bloat comes in.

Not remembering you took something but replacing it as now there are two not one of that item saved to that file. If you did not continue to loot the places over and over then the test is not worth much as you need to do it multiple times to see the difference in save file size once the items are removed.

It is true each area adds it's over all loot to the save file but when people continue to loot and duplicate that loot is where the problem arises from storing them over and over. Not just a once around the whole map as no one plays like that normally.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
1 month ago#16
Oh gosh I have a save where I totally packratted the house in Markarth and I mean like, hundreds of items in each barrel or shelf available. That save ... is a problem.

Honestly one of the biggest oversights in this game is there's no way to just delete some trash. Vendors are so limited that you can't get rid of trash when you got too much. I've actually thought about just taking a bunch of stuff -- overburdening myself completely -- and just going outside and like dropping everything and then leaving and sleeping 30 days to see if it will wipe it away.

Oh anyway back to the original question I think that as a new player it's best to avoid playing as a pure mage as both destruction and illusion magic doesn't scale very well and it's so easy to just grind levels in this game ... it's like the developers thought no one would ever go above level 20 and then put in 160x the content necessary to get there. So you would end up with a level 30 character whose best spell just doesn't do enough damage to be a primary attack unless you absolutely know how to game the system, get the best magic enhancing gear and drink destruction magic damage enhancing potions constantly.

However the other magics are perfectly good for support. Like a sword and shield dude who has enough conjuration to conjure a sword and an atronach to help with attacks? Easy mode. The conjuration weapons are particularly powerful, especially if you take the right perks.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Cinderforge

Cinderforge
1 month ago#17
I reckon, as with all these games, the simplest option is to go all out warrior, 1h + shield or 2h and heavy armour. Alchemy as a support and if you want to pick a supporting school of magic then illusion is great. That's about it.

The easy mode way to play is stealth archer style but is a bit more advanced than the above.

Magic is just straight up terrible and boring so don't bother. Like I say though, illusion is good for support.

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
1 month ago#18
Ok I was playing a little on Sunday and you know I... figured out how to delete trash.

I can't believe I never knew this but ... if a shopkeeper runs out of money you can still sell to them, you just get $0. You can literally just shove all your trash down an NPC's back pocket and then 3 days later when their shop chest resets, it'll be gone.

c_s_tadsen
1 month ago#19
If you don't care about the gold, another way to get rid of your garbage is to kill something that leaves a body- anything, a random elk or fox is fine- and dump it all into the inventory of the body. When the body de-spawns from the world in a couple in-game days, all that crap will be gone. I do this a lotto remove any scrap from crafting in my houses from the Hearthfire expansion... Why travel to a town when there's a perfectly good elk, slaughterfish, or bandit outside just dying to help out? (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun, lol.)

Also, if a shopkeeper has no gold, there's an easy way to fix that.
1.) Stand next to the shopkeeper and save the game.
2.) Next, attack the shopkeeper; you don't need to kill them- though it's fine if you do- just get them into combat.
3.) Now, load the save you just made.

This resets the inventory of the shopkeeper. Great if you need them to restock gold or inventory- it's a fast way to stock up on Alchemy ingredients, for example- but be aware it is a full inventory reset... This means if there is still something you want from the current inventory of the merchant you should buy it first, as it will probably disappear upon reset.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Lord Heimdall

Lord Heimdall
1 month ago#20
The problem is the places that don't respawn. Whenever you enter one of such places (like Dustman's Cairn, for example) the save file size goes up irreversibly because the game will save all items that are generated and, unless you don't go and grab every wooden plate there the game size will not decrease past a certain size.

It's not worth the hassle, though.
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls Online [PS4], Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen [PS3].
PSN: XicaoXiita --- For the Pact!
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Best way to complete for beginners