You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Best way to complete for beginners

User Info: erc87

erc87
2 months ago#1
I find its pretty daunting to begin with, what's the best way for a beginner to approach this game and complete the main story?

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
2 months ago#2
Hmm...

There's nothing really "not for beginners", but a sword and board build is probably the easiest, but the least fun imo. Magic is more fun, but can be hat for beginners to manage with all the different spells and whatnot (remember your hotlist).

If I were you I would just follow the main quest whenever you want, explore, and learn as you go.

There is a metric f***ton of things to learn in/about this game, but don't let it intimidate you, you're never forced to go at any pace other than what you feel like.
I'm only abrasive to morons.
~GFaqs' Undisputed #1 DBFZ player~ Vegito/Kid Buu/[SSJ Goku or Gotenks] Not that you'd play.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#3
Unless you have Dawnguard however. Be aware that it can become a problem on this version if you have this DLC installed. Especially for a beginner. If you have not got it installed then you can just do things as you like mostly.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
2 months ago#4
Olld-Onne posted...
Unless you have Dawnguard however. Be aware that it can become a problem on this version if you have this DLC installed. Especially for a beginner. If you have not got it installed then you can just do things as you like mostly.

This. Very much so. A lot of very useful NPC's are at risk of random death with Dawnguard installed, pretty much anyone who is outside a lot... Almost every blacksmith and lumber mill is at risk, for example. I've lost hours of progress over the years from being forced to reload my file in order to save a useful NPC. The blacksmith in Dawnstar has been a particular thorn in my side, for some reason; he always seems to run directly towards trouble.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#5
c_s_tadsen posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

This. Very much so. A lot of very useful NPC's are at risk of random death with Dawnguard installed, pretty much anyone who is outside a lot... Almost every blacksmith and lumber mill is at risk, for example. I've lost hours of progress over the years from being forced to reload my file in order to save a useful NPC. The blacksmith in Dawnstar has been a particular thorn in my side, for some reason; he always seems to run directly towards trouble.

The Dawnstar Blacksmith is not very close to the entry point. Both the Riverwood and Whiterun ones are far more at risk from dying and especially silly all night smithing Riften Blacksmith as their are two entry points in Riften not one and they like to play at night mostly. Always croaks if I do not pay attention on that one.

There is something else that plagues Dawnstar and they do tend to pose a threat to the Dawnstar Blacksmith, more so then the Dawnguard ones.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: JOExHIGASHI

JOExHIGASHI
2 months ago#6
I guess choose a specific class like warrior, mage, rogue. Don't do magic warrior or any combinations.
Next Xbox will be named Xbox1 2

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
2 months ago#7
can someone tell me who, exactly, is at risk of dying who is "important"

i think people exaggerate this claim

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#8
redtide1962 posted...
can someone tell me who, exactly, is at risk of dying who is "important"

i think people exaggerate this claim

It is a bit over blown at times.

Ysolda, Viola, Wujeeta and to a lesser extent Halvard all are needed to finish the quests they are apart of. They can all die if caught up in fights before this has come to fruition. There are probably a few more I am forgetting. Ysolda will become essential after one of her missions is started but until then she can die if you have never spoken to her before.

Nothing really game breaking but if you wanted the things or houses they can interfere with acquiring then it can be annoying to the player if they were banking in them for what ever reason.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
1 month ago#9
I mostly just hate losing blacksmiths for the inconvenience of it...I tend to fully build all three Hearthfire houses, if I lose blacksmiths I have to save-scum for materials instead of getting them normally. That's not good, it contributes to save file bloat.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#10
c_s_tadsen posted...
I mostly just hate losing blacksmiths for the inconvenience of it...I tend to fully build all three Hearthfire houses, if I lose blacksmiths I have to save-scum for materials instead of getting them normally. That's not good, it contributes to save file bloat.

On the flip side the Blacksmith being dead will free up memory as all the scripts and they had going on while they were alive will cease. My most stable large save file is the Bosmer Nutjob one. Literally killed every killable NPC in each hold. Loads of free memory and much less scripts in that one.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Best way to complete for beginners