Windstand Manor...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: PrancyBoots

PrancyBoots
3 months ago#11
I find if I take too long to get back to Lakeview Manor (away for more than ten in-game days) there'll be bandits or a giant or something hanging around when I get back. I just always quicksave before I get too close (so the horse doesn't die, there are TONS of bugs involved with dead horses in Skyrim), and if there's trouble, I reload, park the horse well back of the house and come home on foot. Children are invulnerable, no worries there, plus Rayya and Lydia (who I always make steward at Lakeview) are "protected" because they're housecarls. (only the player can kill them)

I only play female characters, and if I marry at all, it's to Argis, who as housecarl of The Reach, is also protected. I marry him just to get him out of Vlindrel Hall, which I never use. Most playthroughs I don't even decorate it. I sometimes make Jordis steward of Windstad Manor, and Iona steward of Heljarchen Hall for the same reason.

Anybody you marry becomes protected after marrying you, Camilla Valerius, Ysolda, etc, so only you can kill them. The "rescue your spouse" quest (or whatever it's called) can only happen if you're married, but it's by no means difficult. I just think it's kind of silly that they can kidnap Argis, or Aela, or Vilkas - all of whom could effortlessly tear them to shreds - as easily as non-combatant NPCs, like Ysolda or Camilla Valerius.

I think they should have made it so that if you marry a housecarl or one of the companions, instead of coming home to find your spouse has been kidnapped, the yard would be littered with dismembered bandit corpses, with your spouse in the middle, covered in blood (a la Dragon Age) sword in hand, asking where the hell you were lol

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
3 months ago#12
PrancyBoots posted...
I find if I take too long to get back to Lakeview Manor (away for more than ten in-game days) there'll be bandits or a giant or something hanging around when I get back. I just always quicksave before I get too close (so the horse doesn't die, there are TONS of bugs involved with dead horses in Skyrim), and if there's trouble, I reload, park the horse well back of the house and come home on foot. Children are invulnerable, no worries there, plus Rayya and Lydia (who I always make steward at Lakeview) are "protected" because they're housecarls. (only the player can kill them)

I only play female characters, and if I marry at all, it's to Argis, who as housecarl of The Reach, is also protected. I marry him just to get him out of Vlindrel Hall, which I never use. Most playthroughs I don't even decorate it. I sometimes make Jordis steward of Windstad Manor, and Iona steward of Heljarchen Hall for the same reason.

Anybody you marry becomes protected after marrying you, Camilla Valerius, Ysolda, etc, so only you can kill them. The "rescue your spouse" quest (or whatever it's called) can only happen if you're married, but it's by no means difficult. I just think it's kind of silly that they can kidnap Argis, or Aela, or Vilkas - all of whom could effortlessly tear them to shreds - as easily as non-combatant NPCs, like Ysolda or Camilla Valerius.

I think they should have made it so that if you marry a housecarl or one of the companions, instead of coming home to find your spouse has been kidnapped, the yard would be littered with dismembered bandit corpses, with your spouse in the middle, covered in blood (a la Dragon Age) sword in hand, asking where the hell you were lol

Have you seen Farkas fight, definitely would have to rescue him lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: craig_psn

craig_psn
3 months ago#13
I'm usually away from Lakeview Manor (no spouse there) for more than 10 days at a time these days, mostly just go back to harvest the garden (smithing ingredients). Never an enemy on the grounds, a completely safe place for everybody including horse. It's good to have one of those, even though IMO it's a little too close to lots of free living/storage/crafting opportunities to be as useful as some of the other house locations, plus no merchants. The smelter is handy though.

Off the immediate property, but nearby, the only enemy there ever is is a novice/weak necromancer down near the altar. You go somewhat farther and there's usually a bear near the silver ore veins, but that's about as far away as Pinewatch so not really the Manor.

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
3 months ago#14
If you just have the small house it won't get attacked. If you have the Main Hall though, which supports the three wings, then attacks can happen. In that case Lakeview Manor tends to draw Bandits and Giants all the time.

Winstad isn't so bad though, because sometimes it tries to spawn Draugr, but those spawn in as actually dead. So it's just free loot on your doorstep.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: PrancyBoots

PrancyBoots
3 months ago#15
I don't find attacks to be that big a problem, as long as I'm back before 3-4 days go by. I don't keep livestock or a horse at Lakeview. There are three people there who can fight: Rayya, Lydia (I make her the steward) and Argis (I usually marry him), as well as Lucia and Sofie, who are children (invincible). If I come home and there are bandits, I'll try to fight them on horseback, but I usually play on expert difficulty and bandit chiefs can take out a horse PDQ. If the horse dies, I'll reload (lots of bugs involved with dead horses), then save well back of the house, park the horse, and go in on foot. :)

I also keep sweetrolls and apples and other treats in the table in the entryway, because my girls are spoiled and always ask for presents (or an allowance) when I come home :D

User Info: craig_psn

craig_psn
3 months ago#16
Yeah, it may be the size of the house that attracts enemies (makes sense for bandits at least) rather than the spouse. Have you checked it, just to be sure? [I bet you have...]

I never tried a large house without a spouse, moved the spouse in very quickly after expanding the build. (I only have one large house, building houses/Hearthfire really isn't my thing I find.) My poor logic...I could easily test a large unspoused house. I just figured that when there were kidnappers and such, it was the spouse/kids that attracted them rather than the large house itself.

Good info though, I have another game ongoing and I'll stick to small houses, they're mostly fine for my purposes.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
3 months ago#17
You do not need a spouse for the attacks to happen, just the main hall. I keep my Giant body guard around at Lakeview. As long as he is there nothing else will spawn.

Likes to let me in the house, but is always much closer to the door when I exit which can be a little dangerous as he has aggroed a few times. Unfortunately for the Giant that character knows Ash Shell which clears up his bad temper in seconds lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived