• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Are the old Skyrim's save datas still usable in Legendary Edition?

User Info: Quatro13

Quatro13
6 years ago#1
'cause I'm thinking of buying that edition if so...

User Info: JustinFF

JustinFF
6 years ago#2
Most likely the same as Fallout 3 and the Game of the Year edition.

Not sure why everyone is talking about the Legendary edition as if it's a different product or something, Exactly like all the other Bethesda compilation releases, it's the vanilla game plus the latest patch and all the dlc in one box.

It's the same game, same programming and same save data. The only way a save doesn't work with a Bethesda product is if you re-install the vanilla game and don't patch it up again or don't re-install some of the dlc which your old save had.

Bethesda's corporate game release strategy has been the same on every PS3 release so far:

1.) Release the vanilla game to a lot of hype.
2.) Release dlc at regular intervals to keep people interested for longer than a normal game cycle and keep people buying the original because the community hype is still there.
3.) When releasing a new dlc would either make the game fall over or wouldn't significantly increase revenue given the development costs, move on to the next but release a compilation edition to get one final revenue push out of the game.

This is to get both people who have never played before and for existing players who want a 'hard copy' of the full game for collectors purposes and as security in case the dlc eventually becomes unavailable to re-download online.

The compilation edition wouldn't fulfill it's role in the release strategy if old saves didn't work, as they're looking for people who already have the vanilla and all the dlc to buy it as well for the above reasons.

User Info: Quatro13

Quatro13
6 years ago#3
Thanks for filling me in good infos

User Info: ElectricMole

ElectricMole
6 years ago#4
So my old save file isnt updated to the new version. It's not going to work with the Legendary edition? I don't want to start over again! I took a hiatus a year ago.
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188

User Info: JustinFF

JustinFF
6 years ago#5
Of course it will work

A 1.5 / 1.8 patch save with no dlc will work with a 1.9 issue game and all the dlc. It just gets updated once you load up and save again.

A 1.9 patch save with all the dlc will not work with a 1.5 vanilla issue of the game

Simples.

User Info: Mayus_Black

Mayus_Black
6 years ago#6
Why are you even asking this? Its not as if you want to play your Oblivion save on Skyrim. . . Seriously.

Asking if a game will play a save from itself. . . And here I had hope for the internet.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a troll or anything, but jeez you have to be dense to think anything like this. Especially after someone has already answered the question.
* "Oh, I'm not a video game expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." *

User Info: ElectricMole

ElectricMole
6 years ago#7
You actually had hope in the internet community? The same internet that creeps and pervs and hackers thrive on?

Anyway, thanks to Justin for the reply. I have personally had such a compatibility problem before with another game that eventually had a complete edition.
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Are the old Skyrim's save datas still usable in Legendary Edition?
  • Topic Archived