• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. When can you first save?

User Info: Tic Tac

Tic Tac
6 years ago#1
Just started playing today and made it to Whiterun, but I wasn't able to save my game. When I paused and went to the System menu, everything bar the Help option was greyed out. I tried waiting (both using the time skip and just standing around), but it didn't change anything. I thought maybe the game had been autosaving instead, but when I loaded up it put me right back at the start.

Is this some sort of bug, or do you just need to get past the initial quests? I have the latest patch (2.05 I think).
Monkey see, monkey do - just another animal in the zoo.

User Info: SmokenAshes

SmokenAshes
6 years ago#2
Are you pressing circle then hitting start to save? Don't do that, just hit start.

User Info: s0m3kat

s0m3kat
6 years ago#3
The first place you can save is when the Dragon whos up when you are about to be executed. Once you can control the charachter, you can save
PSN - somekat

Tic Tac
6 years ago#4
SmokenAshes posted...
Are you pressing circle then hitting start to save? Don't do that, just hit start.

No, I was just plain hitting start from the regular game screen where I'm controlling my character. I did try both inside and outside as well, along with sleeping.

Tic Tac
6 years ago#5
s0m3kat posted...
The first place you can save is when the Dragon whos up when you are about to be executed. Once you can control the charachter, you can save

Huh, weird. Maybe it was a bug or something. I'll try again later and see if it'll let me save this time. Kinda sucks having to play all that again, but hey-ho.

User Info: VT-14

VT-14
6 years ago#6
You can't save while...
*In an inventory (yours or a containers)
*Using something (cooking, smithing, sleeping, etc.)
*Autosaving

So if your standing out in the middle of nowhere, waited about a minute to be sure the game isn't autosaving, and press Start; you should be able to save.

If you can't. Your game glitched. Restart your PS3 and start a new game. If you can't save by the time your in Helgan Keep (after waiting for an autosave), Try deleting your game data and patch.
PSN: VT-14
Skyrim PS3 Troubleshooting Guide --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65084

User Info: sconekiller

sconekiller
6 years ago#7
you can save before you choose what type of character you're going to play; which helps if you'd like to skip the carriage ride to Helgen and Ralof's monologue next time you want to start a game.

Just be sure to select a new save file: supposedly you get all kinds of glitches by saving over the prisoner file. And of course, you don't want to save over that file, or you can't use it next time you want to skip the opening credits.

May have issues with missing patches if you're always starting games from a save you made weeks ago. Perhaps a tech wizard can comment on that for us unskilled key-punchers
I'm the Thane! I demand you release me at once, or at least give me a short headstart
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. When can you first save?
  • Topic Archived