You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. I wonder why Bethesda refuses to use what was learned from Skyrim and do better.

User Info: TheNextAvatar4

TheNextAvatar4
1 week ago#1
Skyrim is their biggest success so far. Granted, Fallout 4 is their biggest success too that's not Elder Scrolls, but the changes made kind of made it a bit controversial due to a number of reasons we already know... it was the beginning of Bethesda's path to the "slippery slope", especially since Fallout New Vegas was the epitome of dialogue choice and multiple endings (if you don't count the games prior to Fallout 3).

Fallout Shelter came along, and it was not too shabby for a F2P game, but then... Fallout 76. Whoo boy, take everything that was wrong in past games and put it into one online mess. Some people still enjoyed the game (somehow), but it basically renamed the company to "Bugthesda" on a daily basis, and that's not even talking about the false ads given towards the pre-order bonuses (and other editions).

So what I'm asking is this; if Skyrim was Bethesda at their best, why do they refuse to continue to do what gave them the biggest success? They could easily take the mod ideas from PC, dash in some Fallout New Vegas into it (even though Obsidian was behind that game), and just develop a new engine under it all for Elder Scrolls VI... no doubt it would be another smash hit.
I wish I could control all the elements of the world... then I wouldn't need a job.
(message deleted)

User Info: DumbWiz

DumbWiz
1 week ago#3
I think u should replace tood... unlike him u r smart
Because Skyrim was a game that took effort to make. Bugthesda got tired, and then got lazy. If they aren't dumb, they'll eventually get back into shape. If not, they will fall, and that is all.
If you think anything lasts forever, you're living in your head instead of with the rest of us.

User Info: charcoalswift

charcoalswift
1 week ago#5
TheNextAvatar4 posted...
They could easily take the mod ideas from PC, dash in some Fallout New Vegas into it (even though Obsidian was behind that game), and just develop a new engine under it all for Elder Scrolls VI... no doubt it would be another smash hit.

This is Bethesda, they do anything they like, hurting the fans' feelings and expectations is normal to them

ChaoticFairness posted...
Because Skyrim was a game that took effort to make. Bugthesda got tired, and then got lazy. If they aren't dumb, they'll eventually get back into shape. If not, they will fall, and that is all.

Bethesda is good at making elder scrolls but fallout is not their strong suit
Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.

TheNextAvatar4
1 week ago#6
charcoalswift posted...
This is Bethesda, they do anything they like, hurting the fans' feelings and expectations is normal to them

They're going to have to stop feeling normal about it if they want to keep us.

charcoalswift posted...
Bethesda is good at making elder scrolls but fallout is not their strong suit

They have shown potential in Fallout 4, and it's not like shooters are hard to make; they only have to learn from New Vegas's example and integrate that with the next Fallout.
I wish I could control all the elements of the world... then I wouldn't need a job.

User Info: uzumaki44

uzumaki44
1 week ago#7
Which skyrim did you guys play because the one that came out on ps3 was 100% buggy and unplayable for a longggg time. I watched my friend have to sell his copy to get the Xbox version(which we only use xbox for halo so it was a hard decision)
Sure the xbox was smoother but that shouldve been a sign bethesda struggles with development the larger the scope of their game. FO4 was too safe for most fans(i enjoyed it but ive only played Fo3 and i still like 3 better) and f76 was much more ambitious than skyrim. This about par for the course for them, from my pov
What is success? oh, thats right. it's me.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: charcoalswift

charcoalswift
1 week ago#8
TheNextAvatar4 posted...
They're going to have to stop feeling normal about it if they want to keep us.

Lol Bethesda hasn't given up on fallout 76 and is still charging overpriced Fallout 4 gear on the Fallout76 Atom shop

Also Bethesda deletes negative comments on reddit and their official forums

TheNextAvatar4 posted...
They have shown potential in Fallout 4, and it's not like shooters are hard to make; they only have to learn from New Vegas's example and integrate that with the next Fallout.

Fallout 4 is a fun shooter game but a bad Fallout game

The environment does not feel as dark and chaotic as the previous titles, heck even Fallout 3 has a better nuclear wasteland atmosphere

New Vegas isn't a perfect game even though it's my favorite(probably because the game is only 50% complete)

If only
-Obsidian had time to flesh out Caesar's Legion by showing how safe and organized their lands in Arizona are
- made the Strip thrice as big like in the reveal trailer
- implement Ulysses in the main vanilla game where he has totally different and better personality
- fix all the crazy bugs, crashes and freezes
- add more songs to the radio so my ears don't hurt from Johnny Guitar and Big Iron
- restore Mister Handy and Gutsy's British accents
Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 week ago#9
charcoalswift posted...
If only
-Obsidian had time to flesh out Caesar's Legion by showing how safe and organized their lands in Arizona are
- implement Ulysses in the main vanilla game where he has totally different and better personality
- add more songs to the radio so my ears don't hurt from Johnny Guitar and Big Iron
- deleted Sunny Smiles and all references to her in game

Fixed lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
(edited 1 week ago)

TheNextAvatar4
1 week ago#10
Olld-Onne posted...
charcoalswift posted...
If only
- deleted Sunny Smiles and all references to her in game

Fixed lol.

Uh, why?
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. I wonder why Bethesda refuses to use what was learned from Skyrim and do better.