Become of full member of the thieves guild bug/glitch ANSWER

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Become of full member of the thieves guild bug/glitch ANSWER

User Info: PrancyBoots

PrancyBoots
1 month ago#1
A lot of players come across this, and again, I didn't find a decent answer on here or UESP. So here's my Reader's Digest version:

Did you find a "mysterious gem?" Did you come to Riften looking for someone to appraise it for you? Did it direct you to that knuckle-dragger Maul? Well my friend, you came to the right place. Let me help you.

If you're already a member of the Thieves Guild, I can't help you, unless you didn't get your armour yet from Tonilia.

When you get to Riften for the FIRST time (if you've been to Riften before, I don't know if I can help you) AND have a "Mysterious Gem" in your inventory, talk to Maul. (You won't get a choice). Deal with him however you want, but when the chance comes up, ask him about the mysterious gem. He'll tell you to talk to Vex in the theives guild.

Go to the marketplace and find Brynjolf. Do what he wants you to do. Just SAVE and make sure you're in sneak mode and unseen when you pick the lock on Madesi's stall and then his chest, and then quicksave again before you try to reverse-pickpocket Brand-Shei. Take off your armor if you have to. It'll help you sneak. Plant Madesi's ring on him. Brynjolf will conclude his snake oil pitch. Talk to him. Agree to meet him in the Ratway.

Enter the ratway and get to the Ragged Flagon. It's not hard. Make sure you kill all the idiots down here on the way, especially Gian the Fist. Pretend he's Jian Ghomeshi if you're Canadian (don't ask). TAKE HIS GLOVES. (Gloves of the Pugilist) You're in the Ragged Flagon now? Great.

Ignore Dirge, and talk to Brynjolf, and agree to rough up the targets. Put on the Gloves of the Pugilist and go back up to Riften and brawl with the first two. If you have those gloves on you'll beat them senseless in seconds (If you're a Khajiit you'll rip them to shreds pretty much instantly). The third person will have heard about you and will give up willingly. Fine. Go back down to the Ragged Flagon and see Brynjolf. He'll tell you to follow him.

Follow him into the Ragged Flagon Cistern and listen to him talk to Mercer Frey. Talk to Mercer yourself. Once you have control again run straight back to the Ragged Flagon and find Tonilia, the Redguard lady with a ponytail and grey armour. Just put up with her attitude for a minute and she'll give you (entirely useless) Thieves Guild armor, and the "Become a full member of the Thieves Guild" objective will be cleared from the "No Stone Unturned" quest. There.

OBJECTIVE CLEARED

But

DON'T SELL YOUR THIEVES GUILD ARMOUR!

It's useless armour, but don't sell it. Stash it in your house. A bit later in the Thieves Guild questline you get the opportunity to "upgrade" a piece. It'll still be useless, but there are bugs unless you bring a piece of Thieves Guild Armour (gloves, boots, armor, etc) to Tonilia. Apparently there are pieces that spawn in the Ragged Flagon Cistern, if all else fails, so just bring one of those to her.

Also, Toenail's attitude never improves (yes I said toenail), even when you're Guildmaster (much later). The only two people down here that will EVER be civil are are Delvin and Brynjolf. So heads up. If you want a faction that'll actually respect you, join the Companions or the Dawnguard.

I hope this helped with the "No Stone Unturned" quest.

PrancyBoots
1 month ago#2
Also, unless you want the "Mysterious Gems" to stop stacking in your inventory, i.e. one line that says "Mysterious Gem (22)" instead of 22 lines of "Gem of Barenziah", DON'T ask Vex about them until you have a lot of them. There are 24. I wait until I have 20 or so before asking Vex about them. But don't wait until you have them all. Apparently that causes problems, too.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#3
Not wise to stitch up Brand Shei as he is a merchant and worth way more than the crap reward you get from Brynjolf. You do not have to complete this quest to continue so failing is the better option.

Vex should be a sacrifice to Boethiah in my opinion. Or to a Mudcrab it does not matter lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

PrancyBoots
1 month ago#4
I've played Skyrim since pretty much day one, dozens of characters, and I had no idea you could just drop the ring! :D I reloaded the save to test it out. It's too late for Brand-Shei this time, but I'll be sure to do that instead next time, thanks!

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#5
PrancyBoots posted...
I've played Skyrim since pretty much day one, dozens of characters, and I had no idea you could just drop the ring! :D I reloaded the save to test it out. It's too late for Brand-Shei this time, but I'll be sure to do that instead next time, thanks!

Brand Shei is quite useful as he will buy almost anything unlike some merchants. You can keep the ring and simply walk out of Riften which should fail this part. Or just punch a guard lol. You will be given another chance and a second less evil quest to do.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Become of full member of the thieves guild bug/glitch ANSWER

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived