Starting over tips?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: djactionman

djactionman
7 months ago#1
I’m thinking about starting this game over know that I have a good feel for it.
Any good tips for getting off to a great start without just power leveling or spam leveling?
Get bound bow from the jail or chillrend early maybe? Or go after some invisible merchant chests?
I’m gonna start from the beginning again.

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
7 months ago#2
If you want 0 power leveling then go imperial imo. Picked them for that reason and the race is better than I thought it would be, especially the talent. Breton, Orc and Altmer are all fantastic while Dunmer and Nord resistances are awesome to have. Argonian and Khajiit also have fun talents.

I focused on restoration first to get fast healling and regeneration, got my first sneak perk and then went for the bow one. After, I started upgrading my heavy armor, one handed and archery a bit. After I got a solid base I started putting points on smithing.

I got the lord stone as soon as I got to white run. Got windstad manor, went for sailor's repose, agent of mara(asap), zephyr, Ancient Knowledge(also asap), Black Star(highly recommended) and finished up the house while leveling up smithing and enchanting on the side as well. Made my Carved nordic armor as well around level 20. Used faendal to level up archery quicker and leveled smithing through trainer on top of buying the iron ores to speed it up a bit. I enchanted my dagger with soul trap and my mace with stamina absorb as soon as I could(bought the stamina enchant). You can use merchant chests if you want to get a decent amount of gold early.

I believe you can get zephyr from the start but you wont be able to upgrade it for a bit if you don't grind(I actually got it one level away from smithing 60 since it was the last thing I got of the ones mentioned).

My skills managed to stay around equal by doing this(50-60 range with resto barely level 40 for respite). Funny enough, I didn't even finish a single storyline till then and had only started the companions yet I didn't really have training sessions except for using the ores I bought to make daggers to then enchant them and get money until I next visited town after a quest. I did grind sneak a bit early in order to get the sneak attacks for the bow since it's so useful.

Atleast this is how I did it and it have worked great.

Since I don't use magic(don't want to level too quickly just yet) that much and I use absorb stamina with dual wield I only got 140 magicka and 140 stamina and the rest is on Health.
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

djactionman
7 months ago#3
Wow, this is awesome. Thank you for the detailed response.

Fairycancel
7 months ago#4
I want to add that lower level smithing is not significant so you can use zephyr from the start if you want or go for the bound bow first. Your choice jeje. Bound Bow will be stronger until you temper zephyr but you have to recast.

Also, no problem jaja xD. Glad to be of help
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

Fairycancel
7 months ago#5
Oh, and redguards are okay too. Their talent is okay till you can get absorb stamina and it will be a great help vs frost magic. I think I'm finished haha

User Info: sconekiller

sconekiller
7 months ago#6
for a change of pace I always try to see how far I can go without grinding, or serious grinding, or tedious grinding (but I always end up grinding smithing, alchemy and enchanting)

if you're thinking of raiding chests, allow me to recommend the Thieve's Guild Chests 'neath the Ragged Flagon. helps to be proficient at "plating" through doors and you might want to bring along a waterbreathing potion. there may be other ways to do it, but I always plate through the exit door which is nearest the wading pool (not the one that leads to the sleeping area). your character will begin falling so you have to be prepared to guide him upwards with the control sticks

much of the swag will be tagged "stolen," so it helps if you know how to remove the stolen tag. if you haven't helped the skooma lizard lady on the docks yet, you can dump all of your booty in a fish-barrel, help her, and then remove all of your goodies (and the fishy alchemy ingredients in all the other barrels on the docks) without the stolen tag

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
7 months ago#7
If you are still pretty low level, you can do this for a good amount of (legit) non-grindy gold:

Go to Markarth. This will probably take like 15-20 minutes.
At the Inn there's a drunk who will become a follower if you give him some ale. He can help you in the next part.
Leave Markarth and outside you'll see the miners worried about some Forsworn. We'll do this quest.
Farther down the road is Kolskeggr Mine. Clear out the Forsworn (your follower can do all the work if you want).
Grab a pickaxe or two and mine out all of the gold ore here in Kolskeggr mine.
Don't leave until you have at least 51 gold ore. Probably 52-54 depending on what you find laying around.
Travel back to the mine outside of Markarth and talk to Pavo, who will buy all of your gold ore at a very high rate.
Your game will say something like 2550-2700 gold added. Congrats.

If you want more, you can steal a Daedra Heart from Kodlak in the Jorrvaskr basement in Whiterun...
and give it to the castle blacksmith inside the keep at Markarth. This makes you blood-kin with the orcs.
Then take a carriage to Windhelm, and travel southeast to the nearest Orc stronghold.
The mine here is called Gloombound Mine, and it has a ton of Ebony ore veins.
Mine all of the Ebony ore here until you have at least 48 ore, and pick up any you see lying around inside and outside as well.
The orc outside the mine will buy it all from you instantly.
You should have something like 2880-3180 gold added. For like 10 minutes of work.

This is enough to buy a horse and a fully-furnished hearthfire home, and you can start a garden or whatever the hell else you want.
Anyway it's a quick 7000+ gold to start the game with, and can be done within an hour of starting the game.

Fairycancel
7 months ago#8
You can get to gloom mine without being bloodkin if you go up the right side of the orc stronghold.

djactionman
7 months ago#9
These are awesome tips.
I think I will start a new character tonight or in the morning.
I had a sneak archery character I was using but got a bit bored with and I stopped playing for a bit. Especially with the grinding it wasn’t as fun.
And I was watching Vikings so it made me feel like playing again in a different way.

Fairycancel
7 months ago#10
djactionman posted...
These are awesome tips.
I think I will start a new character tonight or in the morning.
I had a sneak archery character I was using but got a bit bored with and I stopped playing for a bit. Especially with the grinding it wasn’t as fun.
And I was watching Vikings so it made me feel like playing again in a different way.

Try to mix it up with multiple offensive skills. That way if you get bored you csn change. Only get the most important perks if you do this though. That way you will still get very strong damage in the ones you choose. If you use crossbow then you ca just use 6 or 7 perks and it would still be extremely strong to give an example. I would recommend to make a plan to see what you want your character to be able to do and in what level.

If you balance your skill use, no grind is needed ^_^

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived