My questions as a beginner

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. My questions as a beginner

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
4 months ago#31
Redguard is mainly useful if you use shield since absorb stamina is so powerful. For frost spell users too. Khajiits are mainly fun and they get a decent start when it comes to offensive skills. A step up from bosmer thou in my opinion.
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 months ago#32
Fairycancel posted...
Redguard is mainly useful if you use shield since absorb stamina is so powerful. For frost spell users too. Khajiits are mainly fun and they get a decent start when it comes to offensive skills. A step up from bosmer thou in my opinion.

Do you mean that figuratively or literally cause it is possibly both lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

Fairycancel
4 months ago#33
Olld-Onne posted...
Fairycancel posted...

Do you mean that figuratively or literally cause it is possibly both lol.

Both :V haha
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

User Info: Guide

Guide
4 months ago#34
Bosmer master race, never getting sick or addicted to skooma and sniping you from 2 mountains away

git gud hairball
[ S p e e d b o o s t ]
https://youtu.be/Acn5IptKWQU

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 months ago#35
Guide posted...
Bosmer master race, never getting sick or addicted to skooma and sniping you from 2 mountains away

git gud hairball

A khajiit can also snipe from two mountains away, Faendal will befriend anyone. They only have 50% resistance to illnesses so they still get diseases. The males run slow because they are shorter than Khajiit's although I think the reverse is true of the females so touche.

You left out the fact they can be nearly entirely immune to poison with Snake Blood which helps on higher difficulties. I cant argue the Skooma part lol. Although a Bosmer can get addicted if they dabble in it.

The strangest thing is that both races dont really like each other and have had conflicts even though they are both *unwantedly* part of the Aldmeri Dominion.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: DeleriumJ

DeleriumJ
3 months ago#36
Just looking at these old posts... I said it somewhere else recently, but I think Argonians might be the best race. Here's why:
1. Aesthetically speaking, they are easily the coolest looking race. I guess maybe you could make an argument for Khajiit, but you would be wrong.
2. Waterbreathing is the most practically useful passive ability, especially for a sneak assassin. Yes, I know everyone creams their pants for the Breton magic resistance, but guess what, I don't need to resist anything if you can't find me. It also doesn't do Jack up against a pissed off Briarheart.
3. Finally, while histskin isn't the best racial power, what I really love is that it's a tank power on a sneak character. It's basically an all purpose panic button. A Bosmer might be able to hypnotize a Sabre cat, but again, how often are you going to NEED this power AND think to use it in the heat of the moment? I don't know about you, but when I'm taking down a giant camp, I plan accordingly. It's not like you just wander into a mammoth's ass chasing butterflies. At least, I hope you don't do that.
As mentioned before, you only need 1 point of stamina to throw a power move, so I consider the redguard power totally useless. Same for imperials and nords, who just basically come with a free once a day illusion spell, a school of magic useful mostly for entertainment purposes. Altmer and Dunmer have useful powers, but in my humble opinion, they are the ugliest races with the possible exception of the occasional Breton. They also offer less versatility.
As we've already covered, starting skills are essentially irrelevant if you know how and where to train. Theoretically, any race can excel at any profession, and elemental and disease resistance are easily remedied with enchantments, so it really boils down to racial powers and personal taste.
Argonians are the only race who can swim anywhere, they do unarmed damage like a khajiit, can heal like Wolverine once a day, and are walking, talking velociraptors. Boom: best race

Fairycancel
3 months ago#37
The imperial talent is huge, in particular if you want to protect townspeople from vampire attacks of the dawnguard dlc. The dunmer 1 is somewhat useless imo but their skills are a nice start and fire res is rather useful.

I think people underestimate the imperial too much, especially when you are starting out. They need 0 grinding as long as you don't overlevel a crappy skill and their talent comes very handy, having an insane range and stupidly high level limit without needing any perks on ilussion is simply very good to have in case of a emergency, to fix a quest or to protect people from getting themselves killed.

Its stronger than the master level spell(instant cast, stupidly high lv and huge range free of magicka cost) with the drawback of being once a day and being humanoid only.

User Info: DeleriumJ

DeleriumJ
3 months ago#38
So are they your vote for best race? Admittedly I hadn't thought about using their power against vampire attacks... But you can also stop those by playing a couple quests into Dawnguard, so I dunno. Not nearly as versatile as histskin or berserk. I guess it depends on play style too though.

Fairycancel
3 months ago#39
DeleriumJ posted...
So are they your vote for best race? Admittedly I hadn't thought about using their power against vampire attacks... But you can also stop those by playing a couple quests into Dawnguard, so I dunno. Not nearly as versatile as histskin or berserk. I guess it depends on play style too though.

Its great for assassin builds vs lots of tough human enemies(this includes dremoras). One thing I love about imperials is that they can start with fast healing at half price and regeneration if I remember correctly which is great for assassin builds that wont get hit much to lv restoration up normally. Histskin is a awesome power too though. I personally love imperials but the only races that are kinda bad is bosmer and maybe khajiit(fun race thou). There are races that favor certain builds.

Dunmer are excellent for anyone wanting to be a vamp or just to have extra fire res, Nords have the ever useful frost res, Imperial have a skill distribution that lets them play without grinding and a versatile assassination talent that can also be used to kill a group 1 on 1, redguards are good for sword and shield, the magicka boost and talent of the altmer is useful for almost everyone, the magic res of the breton means you can get like 70 magic res early and with their talent magic wont be doing much at all and who could forget the insanely strong talent of the orc with good skill distribution. Argonians get histskin which is great and they also have waterbreathing for fun.

Almost every race is worth using depending on build. Orc(for melee, in particular dual blades with absorb stamina), Argonian and Altmer(lets you put those points in health; redguard if using shield) are generally always useful. Bretons, Imperials, Dunmer and Nord are amazing when their stuff is usable but it's not always the case. They also have decent to great spreads of skills for the most part. Breton, Argonian and Altmer have iffy spreads but their bonus are very good so it doesn't matter much.

Fairycancel
3 months ago#40
Overall, the best races in my opinion are:
Orc, Breton, Altmer, Imperial and Argonian.

The other races are too situational for my taste. Orc is fantastic for dual wield warriors(or any warrior in general), altmer is great for magic users or to let you focus on HP early, Bretons can become close to immune to magic early, imperial get great healling and a versatile talent that can be used offensively or defensively from the start and the Argonian's talent works on anyone in the game(a trait only shared by the Altmer). You can't really go wrong with this guys.

They are all great in their own way. I adore my imperial. Human enemies can't do anything vs him and I can still get high magic res thanks to alteration.

I will say though, its more beneficial to pick dunmer or Nord in the long run for magic res. Any race can get 70 magic res eventually so breton only gives 15 points and the talent while they give 50% res to their element. Though, with the talent of the breton and the atronach stone you can become immune to magic at command if I remember correctly at the cost of lowering magicka regen but this also means skipping on the lower armor cap of the lord stone.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. My questions as a beginner

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived