My questions as a beginner

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. My questions as a beginner

User Info: Cosmodrome

Cosmodrome
1 month ago#1
Which perks should I choose for the very first? Which are the most effective in the very beginning that will help me survive and powerup even faster? And what items should I be picking up and which items should I let lie? Obviously if I pick up every little cup and piece of armor my carrying weight will max out pretty fast, what items do I really need to keep? I'd hate to discard or sell something to later find out I could have used it to create some awesome weapon or armor.

User Info: Unit7

Unit7
1 month ago#2
What perks you pick is entirely dependent on what skills you plan on using.

Generally, one of the first perks you get should be in your offensive skill or your defensive skill. If you are a warrior/archer putting one in smithing for steel smithing isn't a bad idea. Allows for better weapons/steel arrows to be made and upgraded.

Some will suggest keeping dragon bones or scales, but unless you have a safe place to store them just sell them. Way to much weight to be luggin around, they are also decent money early game.

The thing about Skyrim is that every material you'd need to craft armor/weapons are easily available. Whether through mining or simply buying it. So don't worry about this.

As for looting. Early game you can loot just about everything. But keep in mind the weight/value ratio. Basically some items, like Iron Armor, weigh a ton and are worth very little. I tend to loot them, but they are the first I discard when making room. Nice if I can sell it, but no loss.

Items like potions, jewelry, most robes, and gems are always good loot because they weigh so little and are worth a lot.

Named Loot. But only if you like collecting. There are a number of unique items in this game. I personally like collecting them. Not to be confused with enchanted items.

Enchanted items should also be looted. They are usually worth quite a bit and if you want you can even learn the enchantment(destroys the item though)

Look in stores for items that increase carry capacity. That way when you are done with a dungeon, you can put those items on and take even more loot!

Also.

Be very very careful of leveling up to fast. Enemies in this game will scale with you. The stronger you are, the stronger the enemies will be. So if your combat skills are weak you might struggle to clear dungeons.

User Info: sconekiller

sconekiller
1 month ago#3
get a follower named Faendal (from Riverwood) to carry stuff and help with battles. be careful with friendly fire: foes won't normally kill followers, but once they're weakened they can easily be killed by your errant blows, bows, spells and bellows (shouts)

don't pick up anything worth less than 20 septims per pound unless you're gathering raw materials for smithing or alchemy: you only get about 40% of the listed value for those items when you sell them.

invest in offense and healing: it is definitely better to give damage than receive, so it helps to have combat power and someone to shoulder the burden. followers, atronachs, and zombies you raise will keep foes from focusing on you and pounding you into the ground like a tent stake (which is what will happen if you try to stand toe-to-toe with a boss with your little wooden shield and two perks in block). so it wouldn't hurt to invest in conjuration and magicka so you can cast atronachs and raise the dead in your defense

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
1 month ago#4
Skills... do whatever you like. You actually can't go wrong with any skills in this game. It's balanced well, some are more overpowered than others but all are viable.

As for looting. Potions are the best. Enchanted jewelerry. And loot every draugr and burial urn for gold, it's only a small amount but it adds up. Multiple high value, low weight items are far superior to a single heavy but valuable item.
Shoot first, think never.

User Info: SusanGreenEyes

SusanGreenEyes
1 month ago#5
I train with Faendal in Archery up to level 50, so I leave him in Riverwood to make sure he doesn't die.
Be sure to make him your follower when training, pick the trade items dialogue, then go into his inventory and take your money back.
Been a murder, over in Riften. Some old lady who runs an orphanage. Those poor children must be heartbroken.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#6
SusanGreenEyes posted...
I train with Faendal in Archery up to level 50, so I leave him in Riverwood to make sure he doesn't die.
Be sure to make him your follower when training, pick the trade items dialogue, then go into his inventory and take your money back.

Faendal would argue that is very bad advice, "The trick is to not steal the money back" or "Sven REALLY likes Camilla you should hook them up and befriend him in the process".

Your sincerely.

Faendal's Attorney.

P.S This makes them friends so the Attorney is currently receiving free archery training.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: mandalore2385

mandalore2385
1 month ago#7
Olld-Onne posted...
SusanGreenEyes posted...

Faendal would argue that is very bad advice, "The trick is to not steal the money back" or "Sven REALLY likes Camilla you should hook them up and befriend him in the process".

Your sincerely.

Faendal's Attorney.

P.S This makes them friends so the Attorney is currently receiving free archery training.

XD

User Info: Wiaru

Wiaru
1 month ago#8
Put the points how you like, but have a general plan. Think up the kind of class you want to play. Stay focused and prioritize your main trees. Avoid putting points all over. When you start to feel confident in your damage and survivability, then maybe branch out into other areas of interest.

As for Health, Magicka, and Stamina, you will most likely need all 3. Put them how you want without worrying about it too much.

Don't worry too much about loot/money. You'll come across heaps of it as you play. It's not worth stressing about it trying to vendor every pot and pan you come across. Grab the good stuff and leave the garbage. You'll soon amass a fortune, especially when you pick up professions, and it will be a non-issue. Vendors will have a hard time keeping up.

I personally like to build up my character a bit, joining guilds and doing side quests first. Main quest line takes a back seat until I flesh out my character a bit.
END TRANSMISSION

User Info: Cosmodrome

Cosmodrome
1 month ago#9
Well I'm mainly focusing on my physical power, I've been using two handed weapons so far I guess I'll stick with that since I've already started putting my perk points into it, I'm also thinking about getting into smithing. What is the best way to raise my skill at smithing? The more things I smith the higher my skill will get I'm guessing? so that I'll be able to choose like the dwarven smithing perk and stronger ones beyond that? Anybody have advice on that process?

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#10
Make rings or necklaces with the transmute ore spell to turn iron ore into silver ore and use the garnets and amethyst to make the rings as they are better than the plain gold ones for experience which is what you are mainly after. If you want you can raid Balgruufs silver ingots in a room near his bedroom if you are friends. They respawn as well.

Collecting pelts of animals that you killed will let you make leather bracers with just that one item by making the strips and leather on the tanner and is the least intrusive method if you are not in a hurry to 100. you need two strips for every leather piece and each leather piece gives you 4 strips so it usually means you use it all up in one go.

The Dwarven Bow technique is also an option which requires gathering Dwemer metal from their ruins and smelting it to make the bows. It is not as recommended for new players though as the metal is heavy to carry and the bows themselves will encumber on top of that. Due to the wonky weight system it uses.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. My questions as a beginner

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived