Destruction

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Joe_Bob_The_Man

Joe_Bob_The_Man
4 months ago#1
Is a pure Destruction Mage feasible ? No other schools of magic except a bit of restoration for wards, and enchanting for obvious reasons. I would eventually don armor once my Enchanting was maxed. A bit of Alchemy for “Fortify XXXXXXX” potion. I take it Impact is an absolute necessity?
Keep your mind in the here and now. Be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the moment.

User Info: Guide

Guide
4 months ago#2
Sure it's feasible. As you describe it, that's probably the most standard way to go about being a mage.
[ S p e e d b o o s t ]
https://youtu.be/Acn5IptKWQU

User Info: Ramza1

Ramza1
4 months ago#3
On Adept difficulty, no problem whatsoever. If you're using both alchemy and enchanting and you use them to fortify each other, then you'll be A-OK on Legendary.

Having the Dragonborn DLC also makes a difference, as it's abilities can push both of your crafting skills just a bit further, and it even has several items tailor made to improve destruction directly.
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!

Joe_Bob_The_Man
4 months ago#4
@Ramza1 I am aware of Azhidal’s Armor and Rings. Is there anything else I should know of ?
Keep your mind in the here and now. Be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the moment.

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
4 months ago#5
The main facets for Destruction mages are getting cheaper casting costs, as it's a huge mana sink, and getting Augmented elements so that Impact can stagger larger foes like Giants and Dragons. Then it's just dual-cast, twin-cast, twin-cast, repeat to keep a foe staggered and locked down.

Runes are great for pulling Draugr out of their sarcophagi, and using them lets you 'disarm' certain bosses by removing their minions before the fight starts.

The Staff of Chain Lightning has a built-in Impact effect, which is handy for budding Destruction mages that find themselves running out of magicka in a fight.

If you have Illusion magic as part of your build try luring enemies together by tagging a ranged foe with a Frenzy spell. This causes all of his melee buddies to carve him up, leaving them all within the radius of a Fireball assault. Similarly you can use Magelight to pull certain enemies away from their pack and dispatch them relatively quietly with the Apprentice spells.

Alchemy will be your friend. Mix Glowing Mushrooms and Glow Dust together for a nice potion of Fortify Destruction and Resist Shock. You can also substitute things like Nightshade and Snowberries for the Glow Dust. This lets you boost the damage of your Destruction spells, and increases the radius on AoE spells. The latter is handy for Cloak spells or Blizzard.

Speaking of Blizzard, since it does a small amount of damage to the player its damage can be boosted by lowering your resistance to either magic or frost damage. Conversely having high resistances will drop its damage output. Bethesda logic and all that.

Shock damage can prevent dragons from using their breath attacks. Once you get Lightning Storm you can use that to drain a dragon's magicka reserve and force it to land for melee combat.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 months ago#6
DuneMan posted...

Shock damage can prevent dragons from using their breath attacks. Once you get Lightning Storm you can use that to drain a dragon's magicka reserve and force it to land for melee combat.

Which should be used with caution as the Lightning Storm spell only staggers on the initial hit and having a Legendary Dragon near you as a pure mage using the spell may turn the tables in it's favour instead lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

DuneMan
4 months ago#7
Olld-Onne posted...
Which should be used with caution as the Lightning Storm spell only staggers on the initial hit and having a Legendary Dragon near you as a pure mage using the spell may turn the tables in it's favour instead lol.

drain a dragon's magicka reserve and force it to land

It's sort of implied that you'll switch to something like Firebolt or Ice Spike once it lands.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 months ago#8
DuneMan posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

drain a dragon's magicka reserve and force it to land

It's sort of implied that you'll switch to something like Firebolt or Ice Spike once it lands.

As you can stun lock them in the air I never find it necessary to even bring them to the floor so I never use Lightning Storm. They are already dead if you can stun lock them to death before you run out of mana on the spell you are dual casting so it does not matter where they go.

Having to turn that spell in a middle of a city? Who's really the most dangerous dragon in town I wonder? lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

Joe_Bob_The_Man
4 months ago#9
Ok, next Q&A. Could I focus on only one element for grunts ? I know for dragons and bosses I’ll need my full power; but for the weaklings, would one element suffice ? Say, fire ?

DuneMan
4 months ago#10
Fire is the most magicka efficient, and does extra damage via 'burning' DoTs.

Frost is mostly useful against Fire breathing dragons as they'll be weak to it. Frost Cloak can also be handy for hybrid Spell Swords as it slows down foes within melee range.

Shock is sometimes useful against mages, though it's also magicka intensive to use and leaves you running low on magicka at low levels. Draining a dragon's magicka reserves can force it to land to fight, though it's up to you to decide how best to approach the fight from there(stunlock with spells, use a follower or summon as a distraction as you slash the tail, etc).

If you have to pick one element then Fire is the best choice, as dual-cast Firebolts can more than handle the vast majority of situations.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived