The Civil War and the Divines

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. The Civil War and the Divines

User Info: ThePixelArrow

ThePixelArrow
1 year ago#1
Hello! I'm creating some fun builds and backstories for characters that I'm going to play as. Obviously to anyone remotely familiar with Elder Scrolls lore, the Divines and their various religeons have a large impact on interactions and choices in the game. A character that I'm creating is a devout follower of Kynareth, and I was wondering what side of the Civil War would Kynareth most likely side with, if at all?

Let me know all your thoughts :D

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
1 year ago#2
I doubt any divines sans Talos would side with anyone, but according to Froki (in his shack by Rift Imperial camp), Kynareth is a "stolen idol" from the imperials.

Guess if you follow his word, all the divines as named in Skyrim are probably renamed by the Empire.

I of course do not know the in depth lore, nor do I care to look but uesp should have everything regarding the divines
Currently working on a site dedicated to the classic games of Koei's Historical Simulation Series

ThePixelArrow
1 year ago#3
Thanks! Hopefully I get some other opinions, but I'll definately take yours into account, Katsuro! Thanks for the reply! :D

User Info: Veezara

Veezara
1 year ago#4
Katsuro posted...
I doubt any divines sans Talos would side with anyone

And Sinmir as well, he supports the Stormcloaks.
Danica, a priestess of Kynareth doesn't seem too concerned which side wins. Just wants it over. Thouh she des sem to want them to storm the city and kill Nazeem, to his wife sh might say, "Now, now, my friend. You must look on the bright side. If soldiers storm the city, there's a good chance your husband may get killed." http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Danica_Pure-Spring
In Sinmir We Trust

User Info: Rhade

Rhade
1 year ago#5
What type of character?

I knew you had a Paladin of Arkay a while back. Is this going to be a knightly figure? Rouge? Mage? Just curious is all.

I'm not sure if there is any absolute compelling evidence on Kynareth for either side. But here are some things to consider::

As already mentioned, Froki may be a good source of information as to the nature of Kynareth/Kyne. Look around his shack for some evidence.

If Kynareth breathed life into the world on the summit of the throat of the world, you may want to seek guidance from the greybeards, although they may be neutral you may gain some insight from them.

Also, during the quest to save the tree at the temple of Kynareth, if followed down a certain path, the priestess realizes that we should not hang onto what is dying/dead and there is a circle of life for everything. Possibly a swaying factor for the end of the dying empire? Not sure, maybe my bias for the stormcloaks is showing.

ThePixelArrow
1 year ago#6
Rhade posted...
What type of character?

I knew you had a Paladin of Arkay a while back. Is this going to be a knightly figure? Rouge? Mage? Just curious is all.

I'm not sure if there is any absolute compelling evidence on Kynareth for either side. But here are some things to consider::

As already mentioned, Froki may be a good source of information as to the nature of Kynareth/Kyne. Look around his shack for some evidence.

If Kynareth breathed life into the world on the summit of the throat of the world, you may want to seek guidance from the greybeards, although they may be neutral you may gain some insight from them.

Also, during the quest to save the tree at the temple of Kynareth, if followed down a certain path, the priestess realizes that we should not hang onto what is dying/dead and there is a circle of life for everything. Possibly a swaying factor for the end of the dying empire? Not sure, maybe my bias for the stormcloaks is showing.

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, I did have a Paladin of Arkay while back. Frankly, I'm surprised you remember! :D This character is actually one that I'm not playing myself. It's for someone else. It is a modded build, to some extent. I call her the Warrior of Harcane Grove. Her basis is around the Unicorn the Hero of Cyrodiil encounters in Harcane Grove in Oblivion, and a mod that ports that Unicorn into Skyrim with a bit of backstory.

She was born and raised in a super rich family in High Rock (she's a Breton) who had tons of political influence. Her parents never payed much attantion to her, and she wanted their attention more than anything, and she knew that the only way to get that was to participate in their politics. While they were traveling to Cyrodiil for an important political meeting, their caravan was attacked by Werewolves. Miraculously, she survived. However, she soon finds out that her survival is not a gift, but a curse, due to her new beastial form. The only way she can think to get rid of it is to talk to Hircine himself. After visiting the shrine of Hircine, she is told to kill the Unicorn in Harcane Grove (this backstory assumes that the Hero chose to spare the Unicorn). When she sees it, she decides not to kill such a pure and beautiful creature. It's at this point that the lore from the mod comes in. A summoner in Skyrim summons the Unicorn from Harcane Grove into Skyrim, and it disappears. The Warrior fo Harcane Grove knows that her failure will displease Hircine, so she finds her way to Kynareth, who promises her protection from Hircine's nature-destroying ways, in exhchange for her protection of the Unicorn and nature in general.

Tell my if you see any flaws in the backstory and I will be sure to change them :D Anyway, this character uses a combonation of heavy armor, a sword, restoration magic, and of course the Unicorn in battle. Overall I think it could be a pretty fun build. Thanks for all the help!

User Info: Rhade

Rhade
1 year ago#7
Sounds like there would be an internal struggle for your character as the beast blood would draw her closer to Hircine but she has pledged herself to Kynareth, could make for a great story alone there. Could include the companions qu ests (werewolves, warriors), Hircine's Daedric quest, Danica Pure Spring's quest for the gildergreen, and possibly some self imposed quests to Wayshrines of Kynareth to become closer to the goddess - or the shrines may contain clues as to the unicorn's whereabouts if your character is unsure of its location.

As a political influencer she may side with the empire unless she's tired of it all. I haven't seen anything about Kynareth being for or against the empire. Only for the kindness towards men

There may also be some other ulterior motives for her in Skyrim other than the Unicorn. As a rich family, she may be on the way to the Reach to discover why some shipments went missing due to forsworn activity... and either side with them in silver blood mine, or destroy them. Pretty tricky situation as they worship the old gods (Daedra). Just a thought for another angle on your character.

User Info: Harokaihime

Harokaihime
1 year ago#8
ThePixelArrow posted...
choices in the game

heh, c h o i c e s.
Puns about steaks are rare well done.

ThePixelArrow
1 year ago#9
Ya thanks so much Rhade! I do plan on this character going through the Companions quest, and a bunch of others that I have lined up. The Reach quest is a good idea that I'll definitely consider thanks so much!

User Info: mandalore2385

mandalore2385
1 year ago#10
Katsuro posted...
I doubt any divines sans Talos would side with anyone, but according to Froki (in his shack by Rift Imperial camp), Kynareth is a "stolen idol" from the imperials.

Guess if you follow his word, all the divines as named in Skyrim are probably renamed by the Empire.

I of course do not know the in depth lore, nor do I care to look but uesp should have everything regarding the divines

The Nine Divines were invented by the 1st Queen of Cyrodil, Alessia, by combining aspects of the Nord gods with those of there Elven oppressors. For example, Akatosh was is a sort of combination of the ideas of Alduin and Auriel. This does not mean they aren't real, because in TES belief makes reality. If enough people believe in a god and worship it then it is real. (This is why the Thalmor want to stamp out Talos worship so badly, to force him out of his Divinity.)
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. The Civil War and the Divines

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived