• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Stray Dog glitch, any known solutions?

User Info: Novoc

Novoc
6 years ago#1
Picked up a copy of the Legendary edition a while back, after having not played in quite some time.
I figured by now Skyrim would be a relatively glitch-free experience. After having played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, I really should have known better.

When I loaded up my old save, I noticed that I had at some point acquired a Stray Dog companion.
After a while I realized it wasn't with me any more, and figured it had gotten itself killed at some point.
Sixty hours later, I try to pick up one of the Dawnguard huskies for my adopted children, and so it was that I learned of another two year old bug that Bethesda still hasn't patched.

So, besides Meeko who is no longer an option, is there any other way to fix this problem?
Or is my only hope to sacrifice virgins to the gods of Bethesda, beg for forgiveness for daring to adopt a stray dog, and hope that maybe, one day, they'll see fit to grant me the blessing of a patch that fixes this but breaks something else?

User Info: bloodgod92

bloodgod92
6 years ago#2
I have not been playing the game for long (only 2 playthroughs total) but when you have a lost companion, either fast travelling, waiting for 3 days or going to prison resets them, perhaps the same happens with pets, failing that, travel to any home you may have where your adopted kids are, they may be stuck as pets there... this is almost certainly going to be useless information so I wish you the best of luck!
Gamer Tag - Aldora92 - bloodgod91
Currently Playing - Mass Effect 3 - State of Decay

User Info: IamI3rian

IamI3rian
6 years ago#3
If you tell them to 'wait' outside somewhere, and enter a dungeon they disappear.

The only cure I can think of would be to get one of your hearthfire adopted kids to ask to have the (non-existant) dog as a pet.

I've got no earthly idea if this would work.

I haven't had a dog in so long, I don't remember if there are other ways to 'auto-dismiss' them, like talking a quest with a required follower etc...

Completing Azura's quest is the only thing I can think of besides going to jail (and serving the sentence) that even has a chance at returning the de-spawned dog.

Sorry man, best I've got. = /
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
Enemy MCC shields... failed

Novoc
6 years ago#4
Forgot to mention I've already tried waiting and fast traveling, and going to jail.
Also tried agreeing to let my child keep the dog, but it looks like I'd need to be able to talk to the dog and tell it to stay with them, which obviously I can't..
Haven't done Azura's quest on this character yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Getting Meeko was probably my only shot at fixing this, but I did that quest long before picking up the stray dog so I suppose I'm screwed.

If only Bethesda would put in a button combination to bring up the console, like in the Two Worlds games..
One simple command would fix this crap.

IamI3rian
6 years ago#5
Hmmm...

I... hmmm.. Companions might work too, when you... ya know. = )

Or even heading to Skuldafn, when you get to that part... kinda late, but it might also work. Or maybe the black books? I haven't done those much, and never with a follower so I don't really know how they act.

If none of that works, I'm sorry.

User Info: Mistere Man

Mistere Man
6 years ago#6
Have you done the Barbas quest yet? Maybe they can take their place.
Water+Fall=Radiation.

IamI3rian
6 years ago#7
Good call, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Not certain it'll help though.

Checking UESP....

No good!

It is possible to have Barbas as a follower along with another creature follower.

= (

User Info: Mistere Man

Mistere Man
6 years ago#8
IamI3rian posted...
Good call, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Not certain it'll help though.

Checking UESP....

No good!

It is possible to have Barbas as a follower along with another creature follower.

= (

Crap! Sorry about that; I was just trying to think of anything that could help.
Water+Fall=Radiation.

IamI3rian
6 years ago#9
Oh it was a good idea, for sure.

Sadly though, it's not gonna work. = /

I really hope something does though. Dog's are too cool to be broken. I guess that old saying about picking up strays is right. X D

Novoc
6 years ago#10
I found a solution! Though it requires the Dragonborn DLC.
I'll post the exact steps I took. Some minor spoilers below.

I sided with the Rieklings at Thirsk Mead Hall, and after killing the Nords for them and becoming their chief I encountered the first bug listed here http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Dragonborn:The_Chief_of_Thirsk_Hall#Bugs and had to dismiss my current follower, recruit a Riekling, then recruit my follower again. I doubt it makes a difference, but my follower is Serana from the Dawnguard DLC.
After reading that Rieklings didn't take up a humanoid slot I figured I'd see if I could use one to trick the game into letting me recruit a dog, and headed to Markarth to try and buy one from Banning.
First, I talked to Banning and tried to buy a dog from him. Didn't work. Dismissed the Riekling and tried again. Didn't work. Dismissed Serana, and tried one last time.. and it worked!
I can now, after dismissing the bought dog, recruit a Dawnguard husky.
No sacrificing of virgins required at all!
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Stray Dog glitch, any known solutions?
  • Topic Archived