• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. hey I3rian.... bound bow vs. dragon bone bow...

User Info: Perma-n00b

Perma-n00b
8 years ago#1
According to ur calculations (dragonbone bow fires about as fast as an Orcish bow), is bound bow still king?

I know u haven't played dawngaurd yet but I'm still interested in ur thoughts since u are the "bow master".

User Info: IamI3rian

IamI3rian
8 years ago#2
I dunno. I know nothing about them (dragon bows).

In all likelihood... Yes for sneaking, no for combat archery is the correct answer. Er... reverse that.

BBow is best for combat archery, DragoBow is better for sneaking. I'd imagine. Either way, takes a LOT more perks to get a decent DragoBow, no? 18 I'd assume. I'll spend those on other things, and maybe have a slightly worse bow, with free arrows.
IamI3rian told ya
Call in the nerds. Build a prototype.

User Info: DarkSeraphM

DarkSeraphM
8 years ago#3
IamI3rian posted...
...and maybe have a slightly worse bow, with free arrows.

But still no Fire damage.

:'-(
So do not cry aloud at night, stay hidden in your bed.
Or the Bogeyman from Silent Hill will come chop off your head.

IamI3rian
8 years ago#4
I never take the soul trap perk anyway. I can cast that (or enchant it on something... lookin at you pickaxe), no need to blow a perk on it. Especially when my main weapon (BBow) doesn't use charges... another advantage. = D
IamI3rian told ya

User Info: demonwyrm

demonwyrm
8 years ago#5
IamI3rian posted...

In all likelihood... Yes for sneaking, no for combat archery is the correct answer. Er... reverse that.

BBow is best for combat archery, DragoBow is better for sneaking. I'd imagine. Either way, takes a LOT more perks to get a decent DragoBow, no? 18 I'd assume. I'll spend those on other things, and maybe have a slightly worse bow, with free arrows.

Besides the free arrows, there is nothing better about the Bound Bow. And a "slightly" worse bow is a massive understatement. If you've gotten your smithing high enough to create a Dragonbone Bow, then you can massively upgrade it way beyond the Bound Bow's capabilities... lets not even get into enchanting upgrades. If you've opened up the game enough to have dragons running loose, then arrows shouldn't be a problem either. I loot every dragon bone from every dragon I kill. Turn those into arrows and you'll never run out. I currently have 1057 dragonbone arrows in stock.

I guess if you only use a bow as a backup weapon, then the Bound Bow is great way to go.

User Info: DarkSeraphM

DarkSeraphM
8 years ago#6
demonwyrm posted...
IamI3rian posted...

Besides the free arrows, there is nothing better about the Bound Bow. And a "slightly" worse bow is a massive understatement. If you've downloaded Dawnguard to create a Dragonbone Bow, then you can massively upgrade it way beyond the Bound Bow's capabilities... lets not even get into enchanting upgrades. If you've opened up the game enough to have dragons running loose, then arrows shouldn't be a problem either. I loot every dragon bone from every dragon I kill. Turn those into arrows and you'll never run out. I currently have 1057 dragonbone arrows in stock.

I guess if you only use a bow as a backup weapon, then the Bound Bow is great way to go.

ftfy
So do not cry aloud at night, stay hidden in your bed.
Or the Bogeyman from Silent Hill will come chop off your head.

IamI3rian
8 years ago#7
demon, while I'm not entirely certain of specific stats, BBow fires at least twice as fast. While it looks good on paper to do twice the damage with a dragonbow...

I'm not even getting into this for two reasons.

1) 11th time typing this
2) I don't know enough about the dragonbone bow

What I do know, is that it fires ridiculously faster and costs eighteen less perks to get that way. If I have to shoot something two more time, while (effectively) having eighteen more perks, I'm perfectly OK with that.

I guess if you like having 4-6 skills, dragonbone bow is a great way to go.
IamI3rian told ya

User Info: demonwyrm

demonwyrm
8 years ago#8
DarkSeraph351 posted...
demonwyrm posted...
IamI3rian posted...

Besides the free arrows, there is nothing better about the Bound Bow. And a "slightly" worse bow is a massive understatement. If you've downloaded Dawnguard to create a Dragonbone Bow, then you can massively upgrade it way beyond the Bound Bow's capabilities... lets not even get into enchanting upgrades. If you've opened up the game enough to have dragons running loose, then arrows shouldn't be a problem either. I loot every dragon bone from every dragon I kill. Turn those into arrows and you'll never run out. I currently have 1057 dragonbone arrows in stock.

ftfy

The whole damn discussion involves the Dragonbone Bow, the Dawnguard addon is obviously needed... but thanks for clarifying.

User Info: Rampagingwalrus

Rampagingwalrus
8 years ago#9
Bows, that do not outright kill something in a single shot, depend on speed, not damage.
The faster you shoot, the greater the chance to stagger/paralyse.

So, Bound Bow, being the fastest bow there is, (I think?) makes it the best bow there is, for straight up combat.
Stealth combat, you probably want Dragonbone.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

IamI3rian
8 years ago#10
^Correct.

It's SIGNIFICANTLY faster than an Orcish bow... and I'm perfectly OK (as a combat archer) taking a second shot (before the Orcish has reloaded) to kill something. = D

Then there's the whole, "losing double the DPS for every miss" thing. And (again) I'll have eighteen more perks to spend on, oh I dunno one handed, or two handed, or pickpocket or speech etc...

Without climbing all the way up the smithing/alchemy/enchanting trees, the DPS (likely) wouldn't be close... though it doesn't appear to be the absolute runaway that BBow is over Daedric without those same 18 perks blown on a single weapon.
IamI3rian told ya
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. hey I3rian.... bound bow vs. dragon bone bow...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A