• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. 133 Reasons to not fast travel

User Info: obishawn

obishawn
9 years ago#1
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:World_Interactions

I never fast travel and only rarely use a carriage and in 600+ hours of playing this game, there are still several of those I haven't seen myself.
Winter is coming

User Info: RagingBullz

RagingBullz
9 years ago#2
Why do havpe problem with fast traveling

obishawn
9 years ago#3
RagingBullz posted...
Why do havpe problem with fast traveling

1 - For me, it cheapens the experience of playing the game. Get quest, FT to location, complete quest, FT to quest giver... for me, there's no joy in that. But to receive a quest, set out on foot or horseback, actually travel to the location, see the country side and engage in random encounters along the way, complete the quest, return on foot or horseback, see the country side and engage in random encounters along the way again and return to the quest giver is a far more fulfilling experience.

2 - The random encounters, as listed in the link, really add a lot if flavor to the game and afford the opportunities to obtain unique items for free.

3 - Immersion
Winter is coming

User Info: VasDeferens

VasDeferens
9 years ago#4
I don't consider carriages (or the ferries ) as fast travel myself. First, it only gets you to the hold capitals, not specifically to the front porch of that location you're going to visit (like in regular fast travel) . Then in a real carriage ride, you're not really doing anything anyway, just sitting enjoying the scenery, so you're not missing much .

So, for example, I need to go from Winterhold to Markarth, I run to Windhelm, then take the carriage to Markarth .
ANH > TPM > TFA

User Info: RKO_ON_RAW

RKO_ON_RAW
9 years ago#5
I'm going to try playing without fast travel for a while. Just started a new file too (about 4 hours in) and will help me avoid vampire attacks anyways.

Was just travelling (without fast travel) to dawnstar and ran into the boethia cultist who I actually never ran into on the ps3 because I'd always fast travel.

User Info: dovahkiin

dovahkiin
9 years ago#6
The only time I fast travel is if some ass of a quest giver in Riften tells me to go to Markath. You best believe I ain't walking boy

User Info: IamI3rian

IamI3rian
9 years ago#7
I haven't fast traveled in AGES.

The ONLY Exception is Ivarstead <-> High Hrothgar... and generally I just don't go there. = )
You must A) gather your party before venturing forth
________B) construct additional pylons

obishawn
9 years ago#8
RKO_ON_RAW posted...
I'm going to try playing without fast travel for a while. Just started a new file too (about 4 hours in) and will help me avoid vampire attacks anyways.

Was just travelling (without fast travel) to dawnstar and ran into the boethia cultist who I actually never ran into on the ps3 because I'd always fast travel.

No offense, but I don't think you understand the triggers for vampire attacks.

You'll encounter plenty while outside the towns. But inside the towns, they only occur when you load the town, like exiting a building into town, passing through a gated entrance into town which includes fast traveling into a town. They'll also spawn in un-walled cities as you get closer to it and the town loads into the game.

Also, they only attack towns between the hours of 9pm and 5am, so avoid going into a town between those hours. But at any time of day, you'll see vampire attacks while outside of a town, while traveling by foot and you reach any of the random spawn points (as mentioned in the link).
Winter is coming

User Info: SunsetPhantom

SunsetPhantom
9 years ago#9
I don't fast travel unless I'm feeling really lazy, I even go up the 7000 steps every time I need to. It actually feels weird to fast travel in Skyrim AND Oblivion now, and the only reason to not fast travel in Oblivion would be to find new locations or doomstones...
Chicken Permission

obishawn
9 years ago#10
I3rian (good to see you around again, btw) I noticed the Polly reference in your sig in another topic which made me happy and respect you even more and this Weird Al reference gives me a nerd boner.

I've gotta go listen to that song now.
Winter is coming
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. 133 Reasons to not fast travel
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A