• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Determining enemy level

User Info: obishawn

obishawn
9 years ago#1
Enemies scale with your level, but is there s way of figuring out what an enemy's level is?
Winter is coming

User Info: Nicodaemos

Nicodaemos
9 years ago#2
Look up their names on UESP.
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.

User Info: TheWhirr

TheWhirr
9 years ago#3
its over 9,000!!
but seriously a lot of creatures level after you gain 10 levels. use the elder scrolls usep
White_Knight_01: "This is a gaming forum right?"
darkportal785: "Sometimes. Other times we just d*** around and talk shop"

User Info: Mvsevm_of_Skin

Mvsevm_of_Skin
9 years ago#4
This is the one thing that I wish modern RPGs would bring back. The "Scan" or whatever ability. At a cost, it would provide name, type, and base specs for any encountered creature. Level the Scan and it will provide more details, weaknesses, etc, and may even act as a buffer to attacks and such.

In this day and age of Wiki and online forums, it's probably not as necessary as it was in the 80's and 90's. But still, when playing in-game, I would like to have this ability available without having to resort to external factors.

User Info: masterdave81

masterdave81
9 years ago#5
That would be a cool idea for a new shout. Each word could provide more detailed information about the creature/NPC.

User Info: Mvsevm_of_Skin

Mvsevm_of_Skin
9 years ago#6
masterdave81 posted...
That would be a cool idea for a new shout. Each word could provide more detailed information about the creature/NPC.

See? Bring back the Scan!

obishawn
9 years ago#7
It took some digging, but I finally found this:

All leveled enemies are generated more like leveled creatures in Fallout. For example, Bandit NPCs are always a fixed level for their name (Bandits are level 1, Bandit Thugs are level 9, Bandit Highwaymen are level 14, etc). The player's level affects the range of possible bandit types generated within a bandit dungeon, and probably the frequency, but does not seem to affect the resulting stats except in a few rare cases. Lower variant bandits remain reasonably common even when more dangerous bandits are available.

Enemy types also seem to reach a plateau where they stop getting stronger. The strongest bandits (non-boss) are mid-20s. The strongest generic vampire is 54, and guards seem to stop scaling at 50. This implies that the difficulty of many areas will not increase beyond certain levels, except perhaps in frequency of difficult encounters. In other words, dungeons have a level range, where if you do not meet the level requirement, you will face the lowest range of the dungeon. For instance, if a dungeon is ranged from level 15 to 25, and you are level 10, you will face creatures in the dungeon scaled at level 15.
Winter is coming

User Info: TheWhirr

TheWhirr
9 years ago#8
obishawn posted...
It took some digging, but I finally found this:

All leveled enemies are generated more like leveled creatures in Fallout. For example, Bandit NPCs are always a fixed level for their name (Bandits are level 1, Bandit Thugs are level 9, Bandit Highwaymen are level 14, etc). The player's level affects the range of possible bandit types generated within a bandit dungeon, and probably the frequency, but does not seem to affect the resulting stats except in a few rare cases. Lower variant bandits remain reasonably common even when more dangerous bandits are available.

Enemy types also seem to reach a plateau where they stop getting stronger. The strongest bandits (non-boss) are mid-20s. The strongest generic vampire is 54, and guards seem to stop scaling at 50. This implies that the difficulty of many areas will not increase beyond certain levels, except perhaps in frequency of difficult encounters. In other words, dungeons have a level range, where if you do not meet the level requirement, you will face the lowest range of the dungeon. For instance, if a dungeon is ranged from level 15 to 25, and you are level 10, you will face creatures in the dungeon scaled at level 15.

if you are looking for leveling info on specific enemies I could tell you from my prima guide. It was made before dawnguard, keep that in mind.
White_Knight_01: "This is a gaming forum right?"
darkportal785: "Sometimes. Other times we just d*** around and talk shop"

obishawn
9 years ago#9
I have that guide as well (both editions), but thanks anyway. I guess initially, I was looking to see if there was a set formula for determining enemy levels based off of my own.
Winter is coming

User Info: VasDeferens

VasDeferens
9 years ago#10
masterdave81 posted...

The Libra shout
ANH > TPM > TFA
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Determining enemy level
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A