• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. When will a game make a treasure chest like a real treasure chest?

User Info: Ki_cat_

Ki_cat_
10 years ago#11
You have to look at it from a technological standpoint. Weapon racks or whatever you suggest would make all the loot static for this type of game. This game won't do a lot of "randomly generated" loot. My main point is that it'd take up too much memory since a lot of loot and stuff seems hand placed this time.
People are afraid of what they don't understand.

User Info: DoctorScraps

DoctorScraps
10 years ago#12
They did that in Thief 3 (a damn fine game).
It's better to read my posts in the voice of GLaDOS. It makes things so much more simpler.

User Info: Ki_cat_

Ki_cat_
10 years ago#13
That game is also much, much older and less expansive.
People are afraid of what they don't understand.

User Info: TheeKingOsiris

TheeKingOsiris
10 years ago#14
In a perfect word it would be cool. There would be a lot more piles of stuff laying around.

Or, some really big chests. I remember back in the day when Arena had piles of gold with a sword in it on the ground as a 2d sprite.

What I want is the ability to smash them open again.

User Info: DoctorScraps

DoctorScraps
10 years ago#15
Ki_cat_ posted...
That game is also much, much older and less expansive.

Still fun to play, though. Holds up rather well.
It's better to read my posts in the voice of GLaDOS. It makes things so much more simpler.

User Info: _x_Paladin_x_

_x_Paladin_x_
10 years ago#16
I get what the TC is saying but sometimes it seems a little slow focusing in on every object laying around after a battle. So I don't really mind the chests being simplified.

User Info: NovaLevossida

NovaLevossida
10 years ago#17
Would be awesome to open a chest and actually see its contents laying in the chest. You have to remove each item separately or open to find it filled with useless garbage and have to find its secret panel etc. Would be much more engaging than the list of items that all RPG'd seem to use.

Ultima Online did this way back in the day. The only difference is that since the game was an overhead third person zoomed out camera viewpoint, the opened chest would appear onscreen as an open container after you opened it, allowing you to loot the contents. You had to move things around to find the stuff below the other items. Of course, all inventory was like this, including your own backpack.

An example: http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/screens/477.jpg

Granted, the treasure chests in UO were mostly garbage, except the ones you got to dig up. You'd get really great stuff for taking a map you got off a monster, using the cartography skill to decode it, sailing around the world looking for the land mass depicted, digging the treasure up, fighting monsters as you continue to dig, and finally picking the lock after slaying some of the more difficult monsters in the game.

User Info: DeathEater30

DeathEater30
10 years ago#18
Kool that UO chest is pretty much what I'm talking about just in much higher definition obviously would be so kool

User Info: TheBigPinkPuff

TheBigPinkPuff
10 years ago#19
It would slow the game down too much. It wouldn't be as cool as you think. Sometimes (most of the time) you want to take what is best out of a loot box and leave the rest. Sifting through the whole thing and moving ceramic mugs out of the way just to get to what you want will get tiresome and tedious very quickly.

User Info: Oni_Tatsujin

Oni_Tatsujin
10 years ago#20
TC, there's a modern RPG that does exactly what you are describing. Dark Messiah: Might and Magic. It really is kinda cool.
"What they don't know is your real advantage. When you live for someone, you're prepared to die."
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. When will a game make a treasure chest like a real treasure chest?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A