• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Official performance boost from crystal dynamics!!! Check inside!

User Info: Snight01

Snight01
6 years ago#1
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136427&page=2

Snight01
6 years ago#2
Just one further clarification, Windows cannot really show CPU bottlenecks using a percentage number since it will move a single thread of work from one core to another all the time. So you can have a single block of work bottlenecking due to single core performance, while Windows will never show 100% CPU usage for any core. You could just see say 70% work on one and 30% on another, but if that is effectively the same thread or sequential work you could still be hitting a CPU limit.

Only with overall CPU usage being below 25% on a quad-core (no HT) would you be sure you are not hitting a CPU bottleneck (though in most cases at only 25% you really wouldn't).

Anyone, it would be interesting to hear what kind of results you guys get with the MultiCoreFlushMode registry setting.

Thank you Nixxes Developer Representative person!

Very interesting reading, I was unaware of the inaccuracy of CPU usage reporting using Windows.

Adding the MultiCoreFlushMode Registry key does indeed increase performance in these areas for me. My minimum framerate in the Shanty Town area increased from about 40fps to just above 60fps. CPU usage (even if it is inaccurate) looks more evenly spread across all 4 cores with around 90% load on each. This is using a 3770k @ 4.5GHz + GTX690 at 1920x1080 resolution and the Graphics set to the Ultimate preset.
I'll need more time to see if the game has become even more unstable as a result though.

If anyone needs more detail about adding the new Registry key hopefully this will help.
Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider\Graphics
Right Click anywhere in the empty space and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
Name the new value MultiCoreFlushMode then double click on it and change the value data to 1.

I think that's right anyway!

Thanks to nixxes and mr pokeylope

User Info: jboom91

jboom91
6 years ago#3
I can confirm that this works in cpu heavy spots, it made my i7 go from 22% usage to 42%, upping my frames in some spots by 15, which were needed dearly!

User Info: jerichoswall

jerichoswall
6 years ago#4
I dunno, I haven't had any fps flux really..
My Rig : AMD fx 4130 - XFX Radeon 7800 - Asus EVO R2.0 - 6 Gb ram - 1 Tb seagate HDD - 750 Gb seagate HDD

User Info: Flexasaurus

Flexasaurus
6 years ago#5
nice

User Info: gadragod

gadragod
6 years ago#6
Will this work with a 6-core processor?

Snight01
6 years ago#7
It should work try it and see

User Info: dark trunks

dark trunks
6 years ago#8
That did actually work for me, surprisingly. Although, my fans start to kick in more now than they did before. So I hope nothing is going to **** up because of this.

Although I find this bizarre. My framerate before would drop into the 40s. Now my framerate stays in the 50s, averaging 55, I suppose. But turning Vsync off, and my framerate does not improve. Vsync off gives the same framerate as on.

Could this be, however, because my monitor is 60Hz, and the game is set to 60Hz, that it just won't boost performance? On or off, it's going to stay around 60 anyway, and with that, it'll still drop below?

An odd one either way, especially since my PC isn't a poor PC. I just recently had it rebuilt with an i7 3930k at clock speed, and two 680s. I might try and finish Tomb Raider now, though. I put it off because of these framerate drops.
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
6 years ago#9
I'll have to try this out later today.

I'm a little worried about the graphics corruption it causes though because the game has had screen-covering artifacts for me already. Not to mention every 1 in 4 fast travels it crashes, so hopefully it doesn't mess with stability any more than that.

dark trunks posted...

Although I find this bizarre. My framerate before would drop into the 40s. Now my framerate stays in the 50s, averaging 55, I suppose. But turning Vsync off, and my framerate does not improve. Vsync off gives the same framerate as on.

Could this be, however, because my monitor is 60Hz, and the game is set to 60Hz, that it just won't boost performance? On or off, it's going to stay around 60 anyway, and with that, it'll still drop below?

It should be like that. Vsync is only meant to not allow the framerate to go above your monitor's refresh rate. It's not a performance boost. Triple buffering Vsync actually uses more VRAM but I'm sure you have plenty to spare, and no buffering will cause anything below 60fps to display as 30fps.

User Info: dark trunks

dark trunks
6 years ago#10
Ch3wy posted...
I'll have to try this out later today.

I'm a little worried about the graphics corruption it causes though because the game has had screen-covering artifacts for me already. Not to mention every 1 in 4 fast travels it crashes, so hopefully it doesn't mess with stability any more than that.

dark trunks posted...

It should be like that. Vsync is only meant to not allow the framerate to go above your monitor's refresh rate. It's not a performance boost. Triple buffering Vsync actually uses more VRAM but I'm sure you have plenty to spare, and no buffering will cause anything below 60fps to display as 30fps.

Thanks for explaining that to me, man. I won't worry about these little drops then. Hey, it's better to see 55 than 40. I haven't tested it myself to see if I have any issues visually or crashing, but I'll try and give it a play soon and find out. If I do, personally, I might just go back and live with the drops.

On the plus side, it helps me realise my PC isn't running like ****. Everyone seems to get these huge ass drops in these areas, and it definitely seems to be CPU related.
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Official performance boost from crystal dynamics!!! Check inside!
  • Topic Archived