You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Android
  3. Xperia play is still my favorite Android phone.

User Info: drivenby

drivenby
1 month ago#1
Years have gone by and that phone is still something so f***ing special.

It was flawed in many ways, underpowered, had a tiny storage space and it basically DEMANDED to be rooted... Even with all of that, it was by far the best gaming experience on an android phone... And I think it still is unless you walk around with a Xbox or ps4 size controller

The game pad was so smartly designed and incredibly durable, coupled with great battery life and a great community in xda, the xperia play outlived every other phone I'd ever used.

The reason why I ended up leaving it behind was because it got water damage from having it on my pocket while playing table tennis lol.

I would buy a xperia play successor in a heartbeat!

Im nostalgic for that old phone as I just bought the "best" gaming phone right now, the razer phone 2.

Now the phone Is great, don't get me wrong. But it's not any better than what XP did half a decade ago.
Posted with GameRaven 3.5.1

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
1 month ago#2
drivenby posted...
The reason why I ended up leaving it behind was because it got water damage from having it on my pocket while playing table tennis lol.

How does table tennis involve water? O_o
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra|HAF 932|Sony 55inch 4K HDR

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
1 month ago#3
I still love it too, and use it for some emulators.

I feel like it did finally get it's successor in the Moto Z3+Gamepad (an extraordinarily underrated phone BTW).
After a decade, Nintendo has won me back!
Switch FC: SW-2455-7995-2494

drivenby
1 month ago#4
TLR_ posted...

I feel like it did finally get it's successor in the Moto Z3+Gamepad (an extraordinarily underrated phone BTW).

Huh I didn't know about this one.

Still an attachment is not as good as a slide out :(

User Info: TLR_

TLR_
1 month ago#5
drivenby posted...
TLR_ posted...

Huh I didn't know about this one.

Still an attachment is not as good as a slide out :(

Oh I definitely agree, but Z3+Moto Gamepad is about the closest to the pure joy I got from the Xperia Play.
After a decade, Nintendo has won me back!
Switch FC: SW-2455-7995-2494

User Info: lvalice

lvalice
1 month ago#6
I didn't care about it because it wasn't just underpowered, it was under supported. I cared more about mobile gaming other than snes emulation and Spiderman 2
3DS FC: 3609.1630.6263 - Ivalice
The mods here are useless trolls, get used to it.

drivenby
1 month ago#7
lvalice posted...
I didn't care about it because it wasn't just underpowered, it was under supported. I cared more about mobile gaming other than snes emulation and Spiderman 2

Dont know what you are talking about. It had plenty of support. Not every single Android game was supported but every week we would have a few xperia play optimized games.

Dead trigger 1 and 2, dead space, all the Gameloft games, all the ps1 games,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1217060

Over 400 games. Notice who was updating the list as well lol. The user...

User Info: strat10

strat10
1 month ago#8
Thats true many games release that time should play without issues because they don't update the graphics. Just like with Windows XP games work with XP era hardware even though hardware is 15 years old.

But if your the type of gamer that plays the latest games there is going to be issues with older phones.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered

User Info: lvalice

lvalice
1 month ago#9
drivenby posted...
lvalice posted...

Dont know what you are talking about. It had plenty of support. Not every single Android game was supported but every week we would have a few xperia play optimized games.

Dead trigger 1 and 2, dead space, all the Gameloft games, all the ps1 games,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1217060

Over 400 games. Notice who was updating the list as well lol. The user...
He basically just listed android games with Gamepad support. I'm talking about games that specifically developed with Sony in mind.

Like how the Nvidia Shield tablet or Amazon fire anything has games that although were android compatible, could only be bought and played on those systems.
Shield had half life 2 and Portal, Amazon had shovel knight and Shantae pirate curse.

I know those aren't exclusive, but they're the example of the support I'm talking about, games built specifically to be played on specific Android hardware.

Most Android games with generic game pad support are going to be compatible with the Xperia's controls, that doesn't specifically mean Xperia was supported or even in the publisher/developers mind. They could have generic Gamepad support and then say "oh yeah Xperia is supported too"

Maybe it's been 6 or 7 years and I can't remember, but I can't specially recall any Xperia specific killer apps that were unique to Xperia, built for Xperia, and not available to a multitude of devices on Google play.

And FYI to people who read this far and are excited to hear there's an Android version of shovel knight and shantae pirate curse HD out there, you can find the apks on Google search, but you need a Gamepad as on screen controls are not programed in and I never got portal and half life to work
3DS FC: 3609.1630.6263 - Ivalice
The mods here are useless trolls, get used to it.

User Info: Blk_Mage_Ctype

Blk_Mage_Ctype
1 month ago#10
It honestly surprises me to this day that the Xperia Play didn't set a standard for Android Phones, or at least carve out a niche for mobile gaming.

It honestly seemed like something which should have caught on, especially considering how mobile gaming has been on the rise ever since.

That being said, it may have simply been ahead of it's time, and I wish that Sony would revisit the concept with a successor. I'm willing to bet that if Sony were to revisit it and simply call it the "PlayStation Phone" then it would be successful now, especially since the Vita is dead and the PS4 doesn't support the emulation of PSone games.

Watch one of these days Nintendo team up with Motorola or something to make a hybrid Cell Phone / Handheld Gaming System that actually catches on and then everybody praises them for doing something so bold/original.
PSA: The acronym PSA stands for Public Service Announcement, not Petty Subjective Assertion, as it would appear that many posters believe based on common usage.
  1. Boards
  2. Android
  3. Xperia play is still my favorite Android phone.