• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Majesty 2: Monster Kingdom
  3. Crash in Chosen By The Plague
PaulJA 10 years ago#1
It's the 4th map btw, not the third.

Got a CTD mentioning "running out of video memory, lower the settings". Well, that's ass: I actually have all the filtering options off and only details are high (my previous PCs were crap so I generally don't max everything out of habit), and I've got a 1GB HD5730. Certainly not the "best" graphics card out there but it's by no means a budget card, I can run Dragon Age at max settings, etc... let alone this crap game. Shoddy coding no doubt. This isn't even a particularly large map.

One of the rare few maps with a timed objective. Hmm, I'd nuked the goblin settlement and gotten a notice that the conclave was sending reinforcements; possibly their spawning triggered this crash. I'll replay again later and see.

By the way, it's totally doable in the <30 day limit, I'm not sure whether lords were a pivotal factor but I did have a pretty beefy werewolf (low teens, hp around 2.5k - I picked it precisely because of the high hp). Took out the towers first while dropping the slow movement curse on the enemy goblins, that helps preventing them from engaging your troops outside of town. Take out the towers, take out the guilds, that's pretty much it, everything else should fall within moments.

I thought of leaving the ogres in the southwest to farm exp on but they spawn too slowly and I'm too busy slinging my troops across the rest of the map.
PaulJA 10 years ago#2
Was probably a memory leak, didn't get it in my retry. Come to think of it, I'd been playing several maps in a row that session.

Almost finished the game. Disappointingly short. Also, the fact that idling heroes/monsters return to their spawning guild means large maps aren't feasible since you can't simply build a new town spot elsewhere to prevent them from returning all the way to the building they spawned from. Medieval Conquest doesn't suffer from this problem iirc, the heroes there simply look for a compatible (same-type) inn with any available beds.
PaulJA 10 years ago#3
Last map is giving me crash problems. Game always helpfully supplies an error message though instead of defaulting to the standard windows' "omg it crashed" message. Video related.

Lowering the graphics settings helps a bit, but it just makes the game crash later. I'm just around halfway through the map. There's this cemetery which spawns undead in a near-continuous stream, and taking it out pushed the crashes back another half hour.

Apparently the engine is so crap it can't handle long drawn out games. This sucks donkey balls, especially since I just fired up Medieval Conquest and check it out, the maps in that game are easily twice as wide horizontally and 5 vertically. I'm not talking about a dinky 2005 pc either, I'm running an i7 with a HD 5730 - yes, not an AAA+ card but definitely not a budget card. I can run modern games like Dragon Age at max settings smoothly so this game has zero excuse for bombing out with "not enough video memory" errors. FFS, we have games like Total War with a limit cap of 56,000 units and they're not stick figures either.

Ah well, not like I was expecting any sort of epic ending cutscene or story or anything. Far as I can tell from the previous expansions a video will play then credits will scroll; I could simply dig the video out of the resource pak file and nofreakingbody cares about the credits.

-
All in all Majesty 2 was a huge disappointment; a few interesting ideas but on the whole poor execution and pathetic follow through. Just enough to hook some fans with possibilities of what might have been but otherwise fully deserving of its obscurity.
  1. Boards
  2. Majesty 2: Monster Kingdom
  3. Crash in Chosen By The Plague
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A