• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of the Abyss
  3. Tips for beginners?

User Info: Super_Smash_Bro

Super_Smash_Bro
9 years ago#1
I'm about 5 hours into the game and I feel like I don't have a clue what's going on. FoF circles? Cores? I have no idea how to play this game.

Anyone have some beginners' tips/explanations?
You're a proven moron Smash Brothers--Jax1299

User Info: dashyl

dashyl
9 years ago#2
FoF circles are those circles on the ground in battle that appear after you use Artes. Depending on what Artes you use while standing in these circles, sometimes you end up using a different Arte because of the element added.

C Cores allow you to gain more stats at level up, cores have different stat bonuses

User Info: Raulsen

Raulsen
9 years ago#3
FOFs- When you use enough Artes of the same element, they'll form a FOF circle, at which point you'll activate an FOF change if you use the proper Arte. For instance...

Tear uses Invoke Aqua, and Jade uses Splash -> Water FOF is formed.

Luke steps inside the FOF and uses Raging Blast -> FOF change to Frigid Blast.

Each Arte only has one type of FOF field it reacts to, however. Light FOFs can be used to execute wind and fire FOF changes, in addition to Light FOF changes. The same is true for Dark FOFs and water and earth FOF changes.

Capacity Cores- These provide a set bonus in certain stats every time a character level ups, depending on the core. Once certain stats are high enough, new AD skills are unlocked, meaning that the C.Core you use on a character has a great deal of impact on which AD skills they learn.
Yes, I'm a Christian and 100% proud of it. God bless!

User Info: Super_Smash_Bro

Super_Smash_Bro
9 years ago#4
Oh snap I haven't been using cores correctly then. Is anything (skills etc) missable if I don't train with cores correctly?
You're a proven moron Smash Brothers--Jax1299

User Info: MogMoogle1

MogMoogle1
9 years ago#5
Yeah, certain AD Skills are unlocked after obtaining a certain amount of +stats, like at +20 Dexterity gives you increased movement on the battlefield. There are a lot of other stuff, and you can check the guide that tells you what you can learn at what amount of bonuses.
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph // https://imgur.com/yfpgro1
~~~3DS: 2277-7086-4316 // Aipom, Kecleon, Eevee

User Info: FehKeh

FehKeh
9 years ago#6
Super Smash Bro posted...
Oh snap I haven't been using cores correctly then. Is anything (skills etc) missable if I don't train with cores correctly?

Skills aren't missable perse, as long as you have enough levels (max level 200) to gain the bonus stats necessary to learn them, which as long as you're not over level 150, before you fight the secret boss (extremely unlikely on a first playthrough), you will.

In terms of, is it likely that you will get all AD skills in a first playthrough... probably not. Possible? Yes, quite easily. Fun? No.

That's what newgame + is for.
You have been marked for moderation.

User Info: Arcadew

Arcadew
9 years ago#7
Video guide for Fields of Fonons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBJGvm9dQo
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of the Abyss
  3. Tips for beginners?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A