• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Is Dark Souls actually open world?

User Info: MasterSausage

MasterSausage
8 months ago#1
Although it’s ultimately a matter of degree, I’d say it’s semi-open due to a mix of both closed and open routes.

ACT I: INTRO - closed
ACT II: THE TWO BELLS - open (but minor routes closed without first getting particular keys/items, and 3 major routes closed without first getting the lord vessel)
ACT III: ANOR LONDO - closed
ACT IV: FOUR LORDS - opens the 3 major routes towards the lords
ACT V: FINAL BOSS - closed

Compare this to a game like Breath of the Wild, which is totally open except for the closed intro area and a few minor closed routes leading up toward each divine beast.

To refine the categories, I’d say Dark Souls is a semi-open game in narrow spaces, whereas BoTW is an open game in open spaces.
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
8 months ago#2
It's a Metroidvania.
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry

User Info: oceandiver

oceandiver
8 months ago#3
I would say Dark Souls is like one gigantic interconnected Zelda dungeon.

Come to think of it, Zelda dungeon, experience points you can lose permanently if you die too much, and extremely precise combat.

Dark Souls is basically Zelda 2 in 3D.

MasterSausage
8 months ago#4
@oceandiver

Yes! I’ve been saying this for years, that Dark Souls is the 3d version of Zelda II. Punishes carelessness and button bashing, demands observation, precision and timing, and is basically one big gauntlet of combat. I loved ZII, and I always ask the haters if they like Dark Souls ... because I suspect they aren’t actually skilful enough!

User Info: oceandiver

oceandiver
8 months ago#5
I would love for Nintendo to make another Zelda in the style of Zelda 2 but knowing them, they won’t. It’s a game that desperately needs a remake.

At least I can still play Dark Souls. Now portably too!

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
8 months ago#6
No, I definitely wouldn't call it open world. Mainly because nowadays that denotes a pretty specific type of world design that's so significant to the gameplay experience it's included in the genre description, and Dark Souls does not have that type of world design. If the question is whether Dark Souls world technically qualifies as "open", as in one contiguous world without seams in the form of load screens or other kinds of transitions to whole new worldspaces, I'd say the forced transitions to the "Anor Londo" worldspace makes that pretty debatable.
Are some people just born bad or is it how we all become
Human termites driven mad in the concrete mound of a rising slum
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: Tkmajing

Tkmajing
7 months ago#7
It's semi openworld and/or metroidvania.
The key to all mysteries and the source of all illumination lies deep within the self.

User Info: Straw-Hat

Straw-Hat
2 months ago#8
oceandiver posted...
I would say Dark Souls is like one gigantic interconnected Zelda dungeon.

Come to think of it, Zelda dungeon, experience points you can lose permanently if you die too much, and extremely precise combat.

Dark Souls is basically Zelda 2 in 3D.

Though it’s much easier, thank god. That game was actually too difficult.

User Info: DotCalm

DotCalm
1 month ago#9
I would call the beginning more of a metrovania than an open world. The second half is more linear. Unfortunately lol

MasterSausage
1 month ago#10
@DotCalm

I know what you mean, and in terms of open worldness, I’d categorise Metroidvania as semi-open structure in closed spaces. I’d categorise Dark Souls, however, as a semi-open structure in semi-open spaces.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Is Dark Souls actually open world?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A