• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. glass cannon sorcerer pve build was rough until anor londo
cancerquake 11 months ago#1
sorcerer starting class, dumped most my souls into INT for 50, mixed in some levels for ATT, and some for str/dex (shortbow, moonlight butterfly horn). did lower undead burg skip for early access to griggs, beeline to darkroot garden for the crown of dusk, then duke's archive first after anor londo for the crystal spells

soul arrows and its variants suck ass. the higher damage ones are good for burst damage on unsuspecting enemies, otherwise i'm limited to the basic one or great version because they're fastest. basic soul arrows can one-hit the trash but trash mobs require a lot of kiting to draw out one at a time. toughest areas were lower undead burg via skip (3 deaths) because of the dog+thief ganksquads - thieves and dogs charge quickly and soul arrows don't do enough damage to one-hit the thieves, and upper blighttown (3 deaths). doing upper blighttown sucks with the blowdart guys can seeing me a mile away from their hiding hole, and low VIT + blighttown squads == gg. pyromancy (mainly combustion) was a great complement once unlocked

bosses (taurus, gargoyles etc) are easy with summonable npcs taking aggro while i blast away with spells. died twice to capra because low hp + no poise, but in retrospect i should've used magic shield for its stability/stamina reduction.

homing soulmass + soul spear are great but until griggs sells them, it feels like i don't have enough casts to feel dangerous in pve. o&s would've been easier if i used power within but still, not hard. unlocking the crystal spells is when i start smashing things. double up on the extra HSM+SS, wear the dusk crown ring for extra casts, and i don't even bother with main weapon anymore. moonlight greatsword tailcut on NG isn't hard with a fully upgraded pyro flame's great combustion, and seath goes with a couple crystal + normal soul spears.

went to the dlc areas for the dark spells, and sanctuary guardian + artorias get rekt with tin crystalization catalyst-boosted spells. TCC + dusk crown ring provides enough spells for an area until the next bonfire, and i only use logan's + no ring + no crown for the areas with the bloathead sorcerers because those guys would one hit me with gank support.

acquiring dark bead is when my character feels overpowered. power within + dark bead s***s on ceaseless, demon firesage, manus, and kalameet. not confident enough in my timing to use RTSR to one-shot bosses sans ceaseless, but dark bead is quick enough to get multiple casts for the kill.
boom
magikid 11 months ago#2
Starting as a sorcerer normally can be a bit difficult early on, but there's a way to skip right to the fun stuff with a new character.

Save your Asylum Demon souls and use them on Heavy Soul Arrow. Then take the shortcut to lower Blighttown, getting the Crimson set on the way down. The Tin Banishment catalyst that comes with that set acts like a spear with R2, although you'll need to two-hand it. Mildred has zero poise, so if you use that on her she will never hit you. You then put the 8000 souls you get from her into INT.

Then you summon Mildred for Quelaag and support her with your Heavy Soul Arrow, which is surprisingly easy even at low levels. Bad AI with the lava pools can mess you up here, but you only need her to be a distraction anyway. Ceaseless is then free, so you end up with 40000 souls to boost your INT as high as possible. Go back to the main path and you're now one-shotting everything, forever.
MagiKid - Soup Spoon
"Me and you are caught up in the same flow...I'm just going against it." - Delita, FFT
cancerquake 11 months ago#3
getting souls to purchase spells wasn't a problem for me since i was able to clear out griggs' inventory soon after i unlocked him. damage wasn't a problem too with crown of dusk and bellowing dragoncrest ring, especially versus bosses because summoned npcs take enough aggro for me to blast away with spells. getting through the map was actually the toughest because only the first two soul arrow variants cast fast enough to deal with the mobs
boom
UltDeadpool 7 months ago#4
magikid posted...
Starting as a sorcerer normally can be a bit difficult early on, but there's a way to skip right to the fun stuff with a new character.

Save your Asylum Demon souls and use them on Heavy Soul Arrow. Then take the shortcut to lower Blighttown, getting the Crimson set on the way down. The Tin Banishment catalyst that comes with that set acts like a spear with R2, although you'll need to two-hand it. Mildred has zero poise, so if you use that on her she will never hit you. You then put the 8000 souls you get from her into INT.

Then you summon Mildred for Quelaag and support her with your Heavy Soul Arrow, which is surprisingly easy even at low levels. Bad AI with the lava pools can mess you up here, but you only need her to be a distraction anyway. Ceaseless is then free, so you end up with 40000 souls to boost your INT as high as possible. Go back to the main path and you're now one-shotting everything, forever.

Thanks for the advice.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Xpunk 1 month ago#5
Handy information to know. Been a Souls addict since 2012, amazingly I've only done a sorcerer build a handful of times (usually opt for a tank/slasher or a pyromancer with some attacking ability).
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. glass cannon sorcerer pve build was rough until anor londo
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A