You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Not enjoying the game so far. If I stick with it will it become more fun?

User Info: Zoeller24

Zoeller24
1 month ago#1
I've been playing this game for the past two weeks and have several hours in it. I'm finding myself more frustrated than anything and the combat isn't fun enough to off set the frustration.

The main reason I find it boring is because the battles are repetitive. I'm a sorcerer and all I do is spam Soul Arrow while targeting. Soul arrow often misses (it commonly flies right over an enemy's head) and because the casting takes so much time if I miss the enemy will stab me and this is often fatal.

I have a sword and shield, but this too is not much fun as I just keep my shield up and wait for an opening to attack. Against groups this tactic does not work and almost always results in death. I try parrying but only the weakest of enemies seem susceptible to parry.

Losing the souls that we need to get stronger isn't fun to me either. I lost almost 10,000 last night because a rat in Undead Burg underneath the dragon poisoned me and there was no bonfire nearby (or if there was, I couldn't find it. There doesn't seem to be a map that tells me where bonfires are).

I'm level 25. Putting all leveling points into intellect.

Does the game give me more diverse ways to fight enemies soon, or have I already experienced it all for this class of character? If I get more spells do they take as long to cast and miss as much as soul arrow?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
1 month ago#2
Ok... so... It's admirable that you started as a Magic User but that was probably your first mistake.

The second, and I'm really hoping that you do, you should have more then just Soul Arrow by this point. Stronger Variants and you should have access to Pyromancy which will help too.

With that said, for the love of all, stop leveling intellect and increase your health. Unless you have a ton of experience in Souls games, I can't recommend leveling a damage stat until the mid to late game over Vitality and Endurance.

Now truthfully, you should probably start over as a more melee oriented build or at least one that doesn't require so much knowledge to get the most out of it. I know that's not ideal but you aren't very far and knowledge compresses space in a big way in Souls games so you'll go through the areas quicker
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

Zoeller24
1 month ago#3
I only have soul arrow. I don't have stronger variants and I also don't have access to pyromancy.

I'm in Undead Burg. Where can I get different spells?

Dagorha
1 month ago#4
Zoeller24 posted...
I only have soul arrow. I don't have stronger variants and I also don't have access to pyromancy.

I'm in Undead Burg. Where can I get different spells?

Actually I apologize. You mentioned something in your OP that made me think that you were further. You wouldn't have access to much else other then more copies of Soul Arrow and maybe Heavy Soul Arrow but I'm not sure about that one.

So yeah, I highly endorse starting over. Like I said, that feels bad but it should make the game feel more fun. If you don't, keep in mind there is a shortcut on the bridge where the Drake is back to a bonfire for next time and just pool all your souls into Vitality until it hit around 30 to 40 at least until you find one of the other merchants

I think as you are, you are going to have a hell of a time with the next area.

Also make sure you buy the Resident Key from the merchant in the Burg!
(edited 1 month ago)

Zoeller24
1 month ago#5
Okay. I'll take a breather for a few days and then re-roll another class. I googled somewhere that said put all points into just one stat depending on your starting class and just sometimes put points into vitality. :/

Dagorha
1 month ago#6
Zoeller24 posted...
Okay. I'll take a breather for a few days and then re-roll another class. I googled somewhere that said put all points into just one stat depending on your starting class and just sometimes put points into vitality. :/

I'd reccomend the Pyromancer. You still have access to spells, and they don't require you to level up a stat to make it better so you can focus on Vit/End early on.

Although the Pyromancer does start off a little weak in some stats, getting a Longsword and getting enough stats to use it and a 100% Phys Blocking Shield like the Heater shield, will pay major dividends. All of these things are available in the burgh and before you fight the boss there.

Also a Bow wouldn't hurt to pull enemies away but that I'll leave to your discretion.

Finally, whoever said just level one stat depending on class is an absolute wangrod
(edited 1 month ago)

Zoeller24
1 month ago#7
I played more tonight. I think it is just not my type of game. Way too tedious. I run, I die, I dodge, I fall off a cliff, I cast a spell, I die, I strike my sword, I die.

Im done with the clunkiness of it all. Sometimes you have to eat the $40 and just realize you learned a lesson.

Dagorha
1 month ago#8
Fair enough. Best of luck with your future endeavors TC

User Info: Strelok

Strelok
1 month ago#9
If you bought it on a disc OP, I might be willing to buy it off of you if you aren't going to use it as a 5-dollars-to-another-game-at-gamestop chip.
However, I am in Europe, so shipping is a thing.
I can't promise I can pay a lot, but it's more than what Gamestop offers.
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 month ago#10
Zoeller24 posted...
I played more tonight. I think it is just not my type of game. Way too tedious. I run, I die, I dodge, I fall off a cliff, I cast a spell, I die, I strike my sword, I die.

Im done with the clunkiness of it all. Sometimes you have to eat the $40 and just realize you learned a lesson.

I’m sorry you paid $40 for this...
It’s just not for you

Perhaps souls 2 is more up your alley? πŸ˜—πŸ˜πŸ˜‰
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; UMoon: Frosty; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Not enjoying the game so far. If I stick with it will it become more fun?