• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Just Beat Artorias...Yep..he's still a b**ch

User Info: dubbyonahill

dubbyonahill
10 months ago#1
Like with Ornstein and Smough i haven't played DS in 2-3 (maybe more) years..so picked up the game and set about it

and then it happened...the cheap..punishing spam heavy boss i hated all those years ago..Artorias

i decided to use no summoning help and i'm playing the entire game with default Estus flask (no upgrading it with firekeeper souls)

couple this with having 19 VIT my health was...an issue

but slowly after time (and dying...a LOT) i found something out

i was Gitting Gud

i could dodge his somersault attack easily (most of the time) i was hitting him without getting punished (sometimes) and..even though his...sword arc swipe hit me every time (cept once) i hunkered behind my Silver knight shield and waited...and waited for the opportunity

AND THEN THE MOTHF***ER BAITED ME BY ROLLING AWAY THEN SLAMMING ME WITH SOMERSAULT...UTTER BULLS*** WHY DID MY ATTACK MISSED HOW DID MY HALBERD/FIREBALL MISS YOU..YOU CHEATING PIECE OF...OH..OH GOING BACK INTO BUFF MODE ARE WE..GREEEEAT

i died

next run i beat him using 4 estus and never allowing his to enter his buffed mode...ahhhh dark souls

considering i NEVER beat Manus al those years ago and never attempted Kalameet (did know about the key)...its just gonna be fun..and painful...with an unmatchable sense of accomplishment...

User Info: nickg131

nickg131
10 months ago#2
It's weird how different bosses give different people trouble. Some people struggle with Artorias, some struggled with ceaseless discharge.

I killed Artorias/Kalameet/Manus first attempt in Dark Souls....but Laurence in BB took me literally 84 tries.
PSN - nickg0131 (it's a zero)

User Info: The_Undead_Cat

The_Undead_Cat
10 months ago#3
Think the trick with Artorias is to prevent him from buffing. Once he does it's very hard to stop him repeatedly jumping on your head until you're dead. My first playthrough I didn't even know he was buffing, thought when he was kneeling it was some weird area of effect attack or something so I just stayed well away from it. Obviously I kept getting demolished.

And yeah it's funny how different players have completely different opinions regarding the difficulty of bosses. Personally I found the dlc bosses to be amongst the hardest in the entire game. Meanwhile I've seen a lot of people complaining about the Capra Demon, which I've found to be a piece of cake every playthrough.

User Info: DahlVaughnni

DahlVaughnni
10 months ago#4
Artorias is really really fun, and not very hard. Dunno how you hated him for years, I always look back fondly on a nice fight that isn't too hard but gives me a rush.
PSN: Archlvt88

User Info: DahlVaughnni

DahlVaughnni
10 months ago#5
The_Undead_Cat posted...
Think the trick with Artorias is to prevent him from buffing. Once he does it's very hard to stop him repeatedly jumping on your head until you're dead. My first playthrough I didn't even know he was buffing, thought when he was kneeling it was some weird area of effect attack or something so I just stayed well away from it. Obviously I kept getting demolished.

And yeah it's funny how different players have completely different opinions regarding the difficulty of bosses. Personally I found the dlc bosses to be amongst the hardest in the entire game. Meanwhile I've seen a lot of people complaining about the Capra Demon, which I've found to be a piece of cake every playthrough.

Capra took me 2 dozen tries. Artorias was first try.

Fun fact: In all of my playthroughs, which are many, and with all of my different builds, I have never been damaged in any way by the Gaping Dragon. Not even once. Some bosses gave me a lot more trouble than they should have, but Gaping Dragon; I don't know how it can even inflict damage on anyone.
PSN: Archlvt88

User Info: dthomas125

dthomas125
10 months ago#6
The_Undead_Cat posted...

How do you keep him from Buffing? Can you stagger him during the animation?
Currently in the world there are 2 types of fascists, there are fascists and there are anti-fascists.

User Info: dubbyonahill

dubbyonahill
10 months ago#7
dthomas125 posted...
The_Undead_Cat posted...

the best way is to throw throwing daggers at him when he's "charging up"

User Info: dthomas125

dthomas125
10 months ago#8
dubbyonahill posted...
dthomas125 posted...
The_Undead_Cat posted...

the best way is to throw throwing daggers at him when he's "charging up"

That was a pro tip. Worked perfectly.
Currently in the world there are 2 types of fascists, there are fascists and there are anti-fascists.

User Info: ViewtifulJoe

ViewtifulJoe
10 months ago#9
I like to keep him just out of attacking distance and when he retreats further back, he usually needs to complete two back rolls before he starts charging. The first is the cue to 2h your weapon, sprint up to him and wail on him.

Also Kalameet is my favorite boss in the game, would recommend trying at least.
HENSHIN A BYE BYE
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Just Beat Artorias...Yep..he's still a b**ch
  • Topic Archived