• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Armor of Thorns: Worth it?
Lupin137 7 years ago#1
On defence-to-weight ratio, how does it fare in comparison to other sets? Is the roll damage a mere gimmick?
PSN: DrAkuma97
What doesn't kill you makes it your next target.
deoxyscyclone 7 years ago#2
Don't know enough of the game yet to say for sure, but I have heard of a couple people using a piece from the set in their armor, just for that extra chip damage.

Not sure if that's a thing, but meh... I read a lot. :P
N3DS FC: 3067-7619-6982 ~ FE:Fates Castle: 06593-87332-74341-48241
Official Umbreon companion~! :3 - http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights
haarlem1982 7 years ago#3
In terms of poise to weight (much more important than def to weight imo) it's fairly inefficient, as iirc the pieces have the same poise values as the Armor of the Sun pieces, but Thorn is a lot heavier.

That being said, the thorns can be used to chip away some damage, although it's not a lot (think single digits), but, it also does poise damage, meaning you can actually stun 0 poise builds.

1 other characteristic it has is the thorn damage can be used to cancel bs damage if timed right. This is a double edged sword though. On one hand, if you get good at it, you're far less likely to eat a lot of bs damage. On the other hand, it will teach you the bad habit of rolling when you expect a bs, this is a bad thing to do, as it pretty much means free bs.
MC_BatCommander 7 years ago#4
Not a good set as a whole but I like the legs and arms for Fashion Souls
The Legend is True!
shooterman1243 7 years ago#5
Of course it's worth it, how else are you going to look like peeve peeverson while you play
Psn: Shooterman1243
Kaosorer_6 7 years ago#6
May be good to have one piece to be able to stun things. And it looks pretty swaggin. And Peeve Peeverson cosplay.
But don't listen to me, I'm just a scrub.
Get money, get laid, erry day, hyphy.
xxENIGMA 7 years ago#7
haarlem1982 posted...
In terms of poise to weight (much more important than def to weight imo) it's fairly inefficient, as iirc the pieces have the same poise values as the Armor of the Sun pieces, but Thorn is a lot heavier.

That being said, the thorns can be used to chip away some damage, although it's not a lot (think single digits), but, it also does poise damage, meaning you can actually stun 0 poise builds.

1 other characteristic it has is the thorn damage can be used to cancel bs damage if timed right. This is a double edged sword though. On one hand, if you get good at it, you're far less likely to eat a lot of bs damage. On the other hand, it will teach you the bad habit of rolling when you expect a bs, this is a bad thing to do, as it pretty much means free bs.

Then what SHOULD you do if you expect a bs?
Eric_Cart_Man 7 years ago#8
It isn't the best set on its own, but I used to harass noobs so hard in it... Armor of Thorns definitely has intimidation value.
Remember - if you use more than one exclamation point at the end of a sentence, you're probably unhinged!!!
Lupin137 7 years ago#9
Having read the replies, I take it there's no real incentive to keep more than piece of armour at a time? I'd go with either the leggings or gauntlets as they're the lightest after the helm. (I refuse to wear the helm because fashion souls.) Is my mentality sound?
PSN: DrAkuma97
What doesn't kill you makes it your next target.
haarlem1982 7 years ago#10
xxENIGMA posted...
haarlem1982 posted...

Then what SHOULD you do if you expect a bs?

-Walk backwards or away from the guy trying to bs you
-Kick
-If you have a fast weapon you could start swinging like mad to cancel the damage or even stun your opponent
-counterbs or even better bs escape
-It's even possible to unlock, turn around and parry the bs attempt, although I've never been able to do that myself.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Armor of Thorns: Worth it?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A